The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [Agency] DeFiore and Company (formerly DeFiore and Company Author Services)

It may be she hasn't updated her personal web page since switching agencies. It sounds like she still wants attached word files, since her profile at the agency says to do this. I'd go with the three chapters if there's nothing more specific at the agency site. I've never heard of an agent who wants the whole MS with an initial sub, but some do ask for three chapters. Just indicate that you're doing this because that's what her website requests at the end of your query letter.

The agency site says to check with the individual agents in case they have different requirements, so it doesn't sound like they have a screening assistant who will preemptively delete anything with attachments before it gets to the agent. Is the e-mail for queries addressed to the specific agent or to some general "submissions @ agency name" type e-mail?

It sounds like this agent will be getting subs in different formats, possibly, until the ambiguity is ironed out.

The 22 point font is strange. I could see someone requesting 14, or even 16 if they have eye issues (I like larger screen fonts these days, since my bifocals aren't good for monitor distance). But 22 point is HUGE. So yeah, I'd assume it's a typo. The thing is, font sizes can be changed with the click of a mouse, so even with eye issues that required very large font, I can't see why someone request electronic files or e-mails be sent in larger-than-standard font.

Are you on querytracker? It might be possible to scan their comments (in their forums or in their general comments that go with the agent profiles) and discover if anyone has an answer.
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 11-25-2015 at 06:45 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Thanks, Roxxmom. I checked QueryTracker but they didn't have specifics on the type of submissions, even in the comments. The attached file guidelines are to her individual email, not the general submissions one. I'll do what you suggest and attach three chapters to the query that goes to her email, and explain.

Thanks again!

In that situation, I'd probably defer to her personal site (after making sure that the personal site is current and not abandoned). Good luck, either way!

Quote Originally Posted by Thedrellum View Post
    In that situation, I'd probably defer to her personal site (after making sure that the personal site is current and not abandoned). Good luck, either way!
    Her personal site mentioned the 22 point type, so I decided to steer away from that and go with her page on the Defiore site. Sent 3 chapters, attached as a Word document, and explained why.

Oh, I definitely didn't mean to say that you should go with the 22 pt type (egads) but that personal sites seem to usually have better info on what agents want than agency sites which have default instructions. That said, there's nothing wrong with going default. In my experience, if an agent wants something that you didn't send in the first e-mail, s/he'll let you know rather than just rejecting you.

In this case, Thedrellum, both sites were pretty much the same, except for the form in one and email instructions in the other (and of course the 22pt). I got an email confirmation after I sent it, which was great! It's not lost in cyberspace! Whoo Hoo!

practical experience, FTW Marika's Avatar
    It's probably too late to chime in, but I sent the first five pages inserted in the email with the query on Sept. 22 and got a request for a full on Sept. 29. (They asked for the full to be sent as a word document with no comment about font size.)

That's great, Marika! Good luck!

practical experience, FTW Marika's Avatar
    Thanks! Good luck to you too, Chumplet!

Any recent news or dealings with this agency?

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

I queried Ashley Collom on 4/28, when I woke up on 4/29 I had a request for the full MS.
    "She discovered that a great deal of the suffering in this world is due not so much to original sin,
    but to a kind of original stupidity, an unimaginative, stubborn stupidity." -- Georges Sand
    -*-
    Somehow You're Sitting Here (YA Contemporary F/F Romance) - #AmQuerying
    We Only Wanted More (YA Contemporary M/F Romance) -
    #AmWriting

I went ahead and queried Rebecca today on a fantasy mms.

My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Has anyone had any recent experience with Lisa Gallagher?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    They have a new agent who's now actively looking to build her list, Gabrielle Piraino. Does anyone know anything about her beyond what's present in her bio? I guess she's a pretty new agent?

Her bio is fairly detailed. Looks interesting.

practical experience, FTW Shoeless's Avatar
    I was curious because after doing a quick Google search, she doesn't have much of a digital footprint yet, in terms of interviews or other professional/career information about her. She's definitely got some impressive background credentials, but I guess the lack of other information probably makes her a newer agent that is looking to start seriously building a brand new list of authors. Presumably, despite not having a list of her own yet, she's getting a lot of support from the agency she's with now?

I had a full out with Bob. I had to nudge after 3 months, but he answered with a rejection.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234