• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Julia Lord Literary Management

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
From this list of bios:
"Julia Lord (Julia Lord Literary Management) runs a small full-service agency handling approximately 50 authors of adult fiction and nonfiction. Julia began her agenting career in 1985 working for actors at the Monty Silver Agency, opening a literary department representing writers for film, television and theatre. At her agency, her mission is very hands-on: to stay with writers throughout their careers and work with them from idea through publication and marketing."

An article on one book she sold, by Richard Greener, is here.

Another sale mentioned in this blog:
Title: A COMMON ORDINARY MURDER
Author: Don Pfarrer
Agent: Julia Lord at Julia Lord Literary Management
Editor: Bob Loomis at Random House
Blurb: The story of a middle-aged precinct cop whose life is changed throughout the investigation of a particularly brutal murder.

Here's a snippet from Publisher's Weekly about the other Pfarrer:
"According to Navy Seal–turned–author/screenwriter Chuck Pfarrer (The Jackel), his debut novel about the Argentinean revolutionary—at one point known as Under Other Skies—has also generated "a couple of serious nibbles in Hollywood, and a couple large fish." Pfarrer's book, which focuses on a fictional CIA paramilitary operator's attempt to crush a Che-led insurgency in 1967 Bolivia, is due from Random House next spring. Julia Lord of Julia Lord Literary reps Pfarrer for lit."

Website of one of her authors is here.

She seems to have participated in this conference last year, where her tag-line says "Julia Lord Literary Management is a small full service agency handling 60-70 authors of adult fiction and nonfiction. Her mission is very hands on--to stay with writers throughout their careers and work with them from idea through publication and marketing."
Other agents attending included Rachel Vater and Janet Reid.

P&E lists them with a dollar sign. I couldn't find any personal opinions on this search, but she looks pretty legit and capable.
-Barbara

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The website that every agent-information-gathering site lists for her agency is on a dead server, so don't bother with [email protected]. I'm not finding a new website or any recent deals she brokered.

Maryn, thinking this moves Ms. Lord down on the list

JacksonMcGees

Registered
Reaction score
She was an agent I was considering at one time. Her last deal in Publishers Marketplace was:

March 25, 2008 Non-fiction: Humor
Authors of Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar and Aristotle and an Aardvark Go To Washington (aka the Philosophy Guys) Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein's next philosophy/humor project, moving to Stephen Morrison at Viking, in a major deal, by Julia Lord at Julia Lord Literary Management (world).

(A "major deal" is $500,000 and up.)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, my research didn't find that placement. I bought that book!

Maryn, thanking you for the info

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Mine too. Two months. Still waiting.

LMILLER111

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Got rejected off a partial. Shaping up to be a not so good week.

willowtree

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone share personal experience of Ms. Lord? I've researched her through the usual channels, but haven't found anything about what she is like to work with.

Keepstrying

Registered
Reaction score
No way

I have been reading this site for a while without being a member or posting.

Today I wish to start repaying my debt.

1. I can find no evidence that this -- selling authors' works to publishers -- is her major field of endeavor.

a. Look the Amazon sales ranking and publication dates for the books she presents on her home page. These are presumably her best.

b. Look at her deal data on Publishers Marketplace.

c. Draw your own conclusions.

2. Learn from my experience. I am not talking about being rejected. 74 agents (and counting) have rejected my efforts. Julia Lord never rejected me.

Trust me -- I could have dealt with rejection. This was much worse. After what was probably about eighteen excruciating months , I fired them. (Yes, I was pathetic -- I took it far too long.) The particulars are boring -- but it was an experience I would not wish on any one else.

Thus this post.

Keepstrying

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. That's pretty much my useful experience. The other 74 eventually rejected by omission or commission and that's their right. A bunch asked for three chapters, a couple for the full, rejection in the end.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
So on the Julia Lord Literary Management website, it says that the business is "a division of Lymehouse Productions, Inc." This is apparently her husband's production company? None of this fills me with confidence about her professionalism.

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
She has my full right now. I'm still not really sure what's wrong. She seems pretty legit and professional to me. What am I missing?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
She has my full right now. I'm still not really sure what's wrong. She seems pretty legit and professional to me. What am I missing?

Perhaps Keepstrying could share some of the particulars of his or her experience by PM, and that may or may not affect your opinion of her.

I would personally be uncomfortable working with a corporate entity that was a division of the agent's spouse's one-person television and theatrical production company.

Now, to be fair to Ms. Lord, lots of agents are one-person corporations themselves, so she's not "out there" in terms of the profession as a whole.

As someone who worked as a consultant to start-up organizations for years, though, I am more comfortable dealing with larger businesses, because I have seen how small corporations headed by spouses can implode. But this is a particular bugbear of mine that may be of zero relevance to anyone else.

BrianJamesFreeman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BrianJamesFreeman.com
Julia represented a novel of mine that was weird and not right for New York, but she loved it anyway and she knocked on doors for 2 years trying to sell it. I don't blame her at all for the book not selling. She was enthusiastic, but the market wasn't right for the book. C'est la vie. If anyone wants more information, please feel free to send me a PM or email me via my website: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Here are some of Julia's recent sales from Publishers Marketplace:

September 23, 2011
Non-fiction: Memoir
Emmy Award winning writer and playwright Lee Kalcheim's FATHER KNOWS LESS, about what he learned from his twin boys (now 21) and the fun and joys of being close to your kids, including working on a television show starring Gene Wilder based on the author's family life, and how they escaped to Italy, then back to New York City, to Joseph Pittman at Vantage Point, by Julia Lord Literary Management (world).

September 21, 2011
Non-fiction: History/Politics/Current Affairs
Author and former former commander of SEAL Team Six Chuck Pfarrer's SEAL TARGET GERONIMO: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama Bin Laden, the only book based on the experiences of the SEALs involved in the assault as told to the author, as well as the larger story of how the SEALs studied bin Laden and his world, to Michael Flamini at St. Martin's, at auction, for publication November 8, 2011, by Julia Lord at Julia Lord Literary Management (world).
Film rights: RWSG

August 17, 2011
Fiction: Thriller
Richard Greener's THE LOCATOR: The Knowland Retribution and THE LOCATOR: The Lacey Confession, returning to print, now as the basis for the new FOX television series, THE FINDER (a BONES spin-off), set to premiere in January 2012, to Joseph Pittman at Vantage Point Books, for publication in January 2012, by Julia Lord at Julia Lord Literary Management (World English).

August 10, 2011
Non-fiction: Humor
Comedy writer David Misch's WHAT'S SO FUNNY?: The History, Science, Philosophy & Theology of American Humor From Ben Franklin to Ben Stiller, to John Cerullo at Hal Leonard, for publication in Spring 2012, by Julia Lord Literary Management.

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
My full was rejected with a very lovely letter. Nobody seems to be able to fall "enough in love" with my MS. Ce la vie.

MarieSalvros

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any recent experience with this agent? Is she making recent sales? I looked on PW and didn't see anything since 2011. I know some people don't report to PW.

Is anyone on AW represented by her?