Interesting New Horror Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this book is being touted as a thriller, but it's really a sort of thinking-person's horror novel.

It's Justin Evans's A Good and Happy Child. Just out last week. Evans just sold the rights to Paramount.
Very strange book that is genuinely terrifying at times. Reminds me a lot of Ira Levin's Rosemary's Baby with a little Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness thrown in.

I'd be interested to see what you all think.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I remember seeing "Rosemary's Baby" in the theatre when I was a kid--Mia Farrow and John Casavetes--and it was a scary movie. I didn't read the book, and I guess I should. HEART OF DARKNESS--now that's a different kettle of fish. One of my favorite novels. The book you mention sound good. I have the whole summer. I guess I'll read it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I can't get to Amazon at the moment. Just tell me one thing: Do pregnant women and/or small children get terrified/abused/raped etc? Those are my ironclad "run away" criteria. Thanks.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm usually disappointed by horror novels, and I also hate rape and dismemberment of women and kids exclusively. I'll read a few reviews and if seems free of such-like, I dang well think I'll give it a go.

Thanks.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
I can't get to Amazon at the moment. Just tell me one thing: Do pregnant women and/or small children get terrified/abused/raped etc? Those are my ironclad "run away" criteria. Thanks.

Well, the book stars a child, but he's not exactly small. He's an adolescent, 12 or 13 IIRC.

And he gets terrified, yes, but he also does some terrifying.

No abuse or rape, I don't believe.

This is a horror novel that would probably be deemed "psychological horror." It's scary because you never know exactly -- until the end -- what exactly It is.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm--sounds like it might pass my screening as well. I'll check for it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Amazon people have lots to say--98% of it positive. But I'll be skipping it--it is favorably compared to The Exorcist on many levels. And that's the one book (and movie) that I felt physically dirty after reading and watching.

Thanks, tho.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon people have lots to say--98% of it positive. But I'll be skipping it--it is favorably compared to The Exorcist on many levels. And that's the one book (and movie) that I felt physically dirty after reading and watching.

Thanks, tho.

There's definitely a comparison to be made there.

However, you might like it. There's a lot of discussion of religion--and not just the occult. The main character battles with a lot of things in the book, and one of those "demons" is his own spirituality. There are some interesting discussions by these characters--most of whom are professors--about religion and its basic purposes, its uses and misuses, that I found fascinating.

But yes: the book is essentially about evil.

Have you read M. Scott Peck's The People of the Lie? You could read that weird little text as a horror novel. Even though Peck was uncovered to be a drunkard, a liar, and a womanizer at the end of his life, I HIGHLY recommend this particular book.

Status
Not open for further replies.