The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Drollerie Press

*insert catchy phrase here* BarbaraSheridan's Avatar
    One of the head folks there is Amy Garvey she used to be an editor with Kensington I believe. She's also a published author.
    ~Barbara Sheridan~
    Barb's website
    Falling Through Glass ~ On sale now! Paperback and ebook

Check out the "story behind the story", too.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    They look to be in a far better starting position than most e/POD, but marketing and distribution are hurdles for any format. We'll have a better idea of what they can do after a couple laps in six months or so.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I agree. They are new but I think they look very good.
    Emily Veinglory

lurking behind that corner.. heatheringemar's Avatar
    Very very intriguing. As soon as my urban fantasy novella/novel is done, I think I'm going to query them about it.
    web : twitter : goodreads : myspace : love the spooky.

"Requiem" voted TOP TEN YA BOOK FOR 2009 at Preditors & Editors!!!

I'm not sure I like the "We do not guarantee that a bookstore will stock our titles" statement on their submissions page. I know they're trying to say something like "we're a new, small press, so don't expect to see yourself on the bestseller shelf at Barnes & Noble," but nevertheless it doesn't exactly fill the prospective author with confidence about their motivation/ability to get their books on shelves.

Sounds like great editing, though.
    Last edited by RTH; 07-10-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RTH View Post
    I'm not sure I like the "We do not guarantee that a bookstore will stock our titles" statement on their submissions page. I know they're trying to say something like "we're a new, small press, so don't expect to see yourself on the bestseller shelf at Barnes & Noble," but nevertheless it doesn't exactly fill the prospective author with confidence about their motivation/ability to get their books on shelves.

Sounds like great editing, though.
    I think the honesty is refreshing. Kudos to them.

Their on-site bookstore just opened yesterday.

God, their covers are gor-geous!

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    The covers are nice, as is the honesty.
    Emily Veinglory

They just uploaded a rather nice FAQ page, including bookstore/downloading ebook info as well as submission/press info (that's at the bottom).

I've been hanging around their main blog (on the website) these last couple of weeks, making comments and such, and Deena seems to be a really nice person. Already she's listening to feedback -- and responding!

I grow more impressed by the minute.

Well, I've sent them my MS.

Just the other day, I heard from one of their authors that they've been an absolute dream to work with.

I just wanted to add that I submitted to them today. I was instantly impressed that Deena Fisher emailed me back within fifteen minutes to let me know that she received my materials, and is going to look it over and get back to me asap. Though I'm still trying to land an agent for my novel, which is starting to make me feel really depressed, this is my first try directly with a publisher. I found her instant contact refreshing and it filled me with a little more hope. I might still get rejected, but at least these people seem to take the time to contact you.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    All indications are that this is an agency off to a good start. I am adding them to my to-do list. Keep us posted!

I read the FAQ and it had some definite turnoffs in it. They describe PoD as a way of printing, for one. The whole thing about getting books in the store sounds very naive.

I think it is safe to say that they are an e-book publisher. They'll use a PoD model for selling print books, but won't have distribution and probably no marketing for the print side.

*insert catchy phrase here* BarbaraSheridan's Avatar
    Amy Garvey who is part of Drollerie was an editor at Kensington in addition to being a published author now, she definitely isn't naive about how books get into stores.
    ~Barbara Sheridan~
    Barb's website
    Falling Through Glass ~ On sale now! Paperback and ebook

Check out the "story behind the story", too.

5. You say on your submissions page that you donít promise my book will be on bookstore shelves. Donít you use a distributor?
    A. We use Ingrams for distribution. Thatís not the problem. The agency that handles ISBN numbers for the US, R.R. Bowker, says: ďÖU.S. title output in 2006 increased by more than 3% to 291,920 new titles and editions, up from the 282,500 published in 2005. Ē
    Thatís a lot of books. I canít think of many bookstores that could hold that many. If we publish your book, it will appear on Amazon and other online venues. If you want it in your local bookstore, you need to go to them and ask them to stock it. While youíre there, ask if you can schedule a signing or reading event as well. Promise giveaways, a good show, and some entertainment. Most bookstores (and libraries!) are happy to hear of local authors and want to know youíre out there. Other bookstores outside your local area may put your book on their shelves because they like the sound of it, itís in their favorite genre, the buyer is a fan of yours, or a number of other reasons we canít foresee. We like those, and we do our best to get their attention, but the decision is theirs.

You don't think the underlined part sounds either naive or intentionally misleading? As if a bookstore is going to pull out a list of 292,920 books, read the names, read the genres, read the synopsis, and choose ones they think sound good?

That actually sounds like something a small/indie bookstore owner might do.

Not to mention, my coworker who does the collection ordering at our library reads up on books before ordering them. That includes names, genres, and synopses.

Rachael de Vienne
    I've just received their contract. I'm very impressed with Deena Fisher, and the contract seems fair. Yes, they're a very small press. But, I couldn't be more impressed at this point.
    -Rachael de Vienne

She who should be writing GhostAuthor's Avatar
    The biggest question I have is this: Is this an e-pub or are all their titles released in print. I'm asking because I've noticed some titles are only available in electronic format while others are in print. And somewhere (can't remember where) on a blog I read an interview where they said not all titles will make print.
    Can anyone clarify this?
    Unsettling Reading,
    Christina

You can't publish if you don't submit.
    I took the 2006 Rejection Pledge!

Ahead of Your Time Chicken Warrior's Avatar
    I was under the impression all titles would be released as POD or mass-market paperbacks, at some point, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm now on Drollerie's list of potential cover-artists. I haven't had any assignments yet, but I was very impressed by Deena's immediate and professional response and feedback.

Hi Rachael! And congrats!
    I'd seriously consider Drollerie for the co-written novel, but I'm not sure how my co-writer feels about e/pod publishing. For one of those covers, though...
    -Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

miladyinsanity
    I'm miladyinsanity who interviewed Deena Fisher.

My understanding is that with the exception of Jennifer Cloud's novel, the rest of the titles published so far are novellas and short stories, and that they will eventually be collected and published in anthologies.

I do know that their first print title will be Deborah Grabien's Still Life With Devils, available in online and in print simultaneously from December, and I have the impression that simultaneous release is the model that they are working towards.

Hope this helps!

This seems to bode well for them: they are getting reviews for their books from Publisher's Weekly, Library Journal, and Boston Globe (according to Amazon.com).

Ahead of Your Time Chicken Warrior's Avatar
    Yup, they're doing well for themselves.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Reading their submission page, they seem to have a pretty narrow range of interest. Of course, that may be a good thing for all I know, but I was a little startled by it. They say they only want to see work based on fairy tales, which even for fantasy seems a little narrow to me. But like I said, what do I know? Darn little.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast