• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Red Rose Publishing

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to point out that in this instance a perfectly reputable publisher has a long contract. I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that scammers always have long contracts, and I knew that wasn't necessarily accurate, but didn't have any examples to prove it. Just knew that I'd heard before that it wasn't that unusual for contracts to run long.

Just wanted to point out that implying someone is probably a scam because they have a long contract isn't necessarily accurate.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Amber Quill is by invitation only, last time I checked, but I concur on the four. Siren/Bookstrand might fit in there, but I haven't been able to confirm solid numbers.

Amber Quill has a yearly contest where anyone is allowed to submit (I believe it's the Amber Heat contest? But don't take my word for it, as I haven't looked at it or anything in a few years) and the winners are published, thus becoming Amber Quill authors.

And again, I've heard AQ mentioned by some as one they consider in their top 5, but like Brindle I can't confirm it. I do have one friend who wrote for them for years and was generally quite happy with them and with her royalties.

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Amber Quill has a yearly contest where anyone is allowed to submit (I believe it's the Amber Heat contest? But don't take my word for it, as I haven't looked at it or anything in a few years) and the winners are published, thus becoming Amber Quill authors.

And again, I've heard AQ mentioned by some as one they consider in their top 5, but like Brindle I can't confirm it. I do have one friend who wrote for them for years and was generally quite happy with them and with her royalties.

Not to derail, but Amber Quill no longer runs the contest and hasn't for the last couple of years. It is invitation only. I can say that their focus is mostly on Amber Allure, the gay imprint, and my sales are pretty darn good and often better than my CP who writes for both Loose Id and Samhain. At the moment they do have an open call for submissions for M/M authors for specific themes, but generally it's still invite only.

Ravenwing

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hi, kimsmith

I was wondering if RRP takes on Murder/Suspense? I do write other ones. Please let me know.

They'll take on anything. They're an author mill. So why on earth would you want to submit to them? You can do better.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Not to derail, but Amber Quill no longer runs the contest and hasn't for the last couple of years. It is invitation only. I can say that their focus is mostly on Amber Allure, the gay imprint, and my sales are pretty darn good and often better than my CP who writes for both Loose Id and Samhain. At the moment they do have an open call for submissions for M/M authors for specific themes, but generally it's still invite only.

Thanks! Good to know. :) Like I said I haven't looked at their site in some time .

Ravenwing said:
They'll take on anything. They're an author mill. So why on earth would you want to submit to them? You can do better.

I do think, Linfred4, that perhaps you want to reread this entire thread before deciding to submit to this house. I listed above a few other epublishers/imprints who take stories in genres other than romance/erotic romance; perhaps you want to look at those instead?

Don West

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Re the one hundred dollar termination fee at RRP. Wendi Felter (publisher) claims that this is split between the editor and artist. But according to the Piers Anthony site, the editors and artists are disputing this. They say they never see a penny of this money.

"May 2010 update: the termination fee is theoretically divided between the editor and the artist, but they are not necessarily getting it. That's another bad sign."

http://www.hipiers.com/publishing.html#R1

RedRose Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
Ravenwing,

Thank you for all the wonderful words about the entity known as Red Rose Publishing. As I have previously told you in over 16 emails as well as Piers Anthony and others, it states in your contract that if there are no edits or a cover done on your book, all you have to do is send a certified letter to Red Rose Publishing.

Once the certified letter is recieved our attorneys have it noterized and filed with the courts then we send you a copy of the release. I do not know which part you did not understand, the certified or the sending part.

We at Red Rose Publishing do not want an author there that is not happy or anyone who does not want to be with us. Our acceptance rate is 12% of all books sent to us. Besides we are closed to outside submissions and have been for over 18 months, except for special story lines.

While no publisher can promise sales, Red Rose Publishing pays 3 outside companies to promote the company as a whole and the new releases. In addition to that please notice we are not releasing 30 books a month, and do not know where you got that information as it is not true. Please post accurate and correct information about Red Rose Publishing otherwise it looks like you are trying to be nasty, cause trouble or make libelous and slanderous statements.

That is not fair to your fellow authors who are at Red Rose Publishing, many who are happy to be there.

Take care and have a great weekend!

Red Rose Publishing

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of my old boss, who used to corner one at a Friday night office party to say, "By the way, I didn't like the way you handled X account. Be in my office Monday morning at 8am. Oh, and enjoy the party."

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
RedRose Publishing:
As I have previously told you in over 16 emails as well as Piers Anthony and others, it states in your contract that if there are no edits or a cover done on your book, all you have to do is send a certified letter to Red Rose Publishing.

Does this mean then that you are charging a kill fee if termination is sought after edits/cover art has been carried out? If so, is this kill fee the $200 that ravenwing mentioned in their post? If not, how much is the kill fee?

RedRose Publishing:
Red Rose Publishing pays 3 outside companies to promote the company as a whole and the new releases

Okay. Which companies are you using and what type of thing are they doing?

RedRose Publishing:
Please post accurate and correct information about Red Rose Publishing otherwise it looks like you are trying to be nasty, cause trouble or make libelous and slanderous statements.

The next time you speak to one of those attorneys of yours who notarise and file letters with the courts, get them to explain the difference between libel and slander.

RedRose Publishing:
That is not fair to your fellow authors who are at Red Rose Publishing, many who are happy to be there.

If someone has had a bad experience with your company, then they are entitled to post about it without having to worry about whether it's true of every other author published by your company. Personally, I think that ravenwing is a numpty with a grudge, but s/he is entitled to post about problems that they've encountered and what seems clear to me is that communication between you and her/him has been pretty poor - at least to the extent that ravenwing did not have his/her expectations of the publishing process managed effectively.

Given the complaints that others (such as Piers Anthony) has received, it does not seem to be an isolated experience.

You might want to work on that instead of coming to post on a message board thread that's been otherwise dead for 2 months to re-activate whatever's going on between you and ravenwing (which, incidentally, only draws more potentially negative attention to your company, thus undoing any and all good work that those 3 promotion companies you're paying are doing on your behalf).

RedRose Publishing:

You too. And come back real soon, y'hear?

MM

Last edited:

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
...if there are no edits or a cover done on your book, all you have to do is send a certified letter to Red Rose Publishing.

Once the certified letter is recieved our attorneys have it noterized and filed with the courts then we send you a copy of the release. I do not know which part you did not understand, the certified or the sending part.
I'm confused. Why would you need to notify the courts that you're releasing an author from your company, and to which court would these papers be filed?

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Srsly? How are Ms. Holmes' contract issues a "personal attack" on RRP?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This thread has never been locked. You're probably thinking of Damnation Books.

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Dear Author reported possible internal problems at Red Rose Publishing, including unpaid royalties and publishing books w/o contracts. http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010/09/02/red-rose-publishing-having-problems-internally/

Wow! Wendi Felter needs to get a grip. That email she sent was way out of line and totally unprofessional. I pity any authors caught up with a publisher like that.

Update: It seems that all Wendi's sins have been gathered together on one site. :)

http://redrosepublishingwarning.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Aaaand Jane from Dear Author tweeted this today:

Just got off phone w atty for Red Rose Publishing. RRP is accusing me of being defamatory & will be sending me a C&D.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if they go through with that. From what I've heard, the threat of legal action is much more common than actual legal action.

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
Wow! Wendi Felter needs to get a grip. That email she sent was way out of line and totally unprofessional. I pity any authors caught up with a publisher like that.

Update: It seems that all Wendi's sins have been gathered together on one site. :)

http://redrosepublishingwarning.blogspot.com/

"The blog you were looking for was not found."

Google search isn't yielding any clues, either.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Interesting. The "lawyer" who phoned Jane sounds rather un-lawyerly to me. Based on my own experience with such threats, I think the odds are good she won't hear anything further.

- Victoria

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Why would any lawyer bother to phone anyway? Anytime I've ever gotten legal correspondance, it's always been a letter. No intimidating phonecalls, no scare tactics. Just 'this is what my client is asking of you, and this is how we're going to proceed if this isn't met'. My mom interacts with a lot of lawyers, and not a single one of them would EVER make this kind of phonecall. That's not how they operate. They have a process and making those phonecalls isn't in that.