Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwfgal

Re: Shameless Jim

I'd think that it would be the most time-efficient method, but is there anything to be gained by saving that other novel and submitting it to the same publisher that accepted your first novel?

Most editors are interested in the longevity and productivity of any new authors they bring on board. They don't want to acquire individual books so much as they want to acquire successful, productive writers. So I would think there would be an advantage in having a second novel ready to go. If both books are similar in genre I'd be inclined to save the second one and use it as an enticement - it shows you're not just a one-book wonder. But if the two books are vastly different in terms of genre, then targeting two different editors might be feasible. Assuming a best-case outcome in which both novels are acquired, I would think one of those books should come out under a pseudonym.

Beth

Yeshanu

Re: Rowling's book a year

To go back to comic books for a minute:

I'm constantly trying to figure out how to tell the story with more visuals and less "talking heads". It's tough!

I think that novelists could learn a few tricks from graphic novel/comic book writers. Talking heads aren't any more appealing when you have to imagine what they look like yourself -- I still like a book with lots of action and other visuals in it.

James D Macdonald

The Sorrows of Young Werther

What horror shall we talk about tonight, good friends?

How about "Reserve Against Returns."

Now you know, when you sell a book to a publisher, you get a nice monetary advance. (If you don't, you're either in Special Circumstances, or Working In the Bad Part of Town.)

Now this is an "advance," which is to say, an advance against royalties. A loan. When your book earns back that money and repays the loan, only then do you get additional checks. (This is the happy state known as "earning out.")

Now publishers don't like to write checks. This is an observable fact. (I know: I've written entire novels faster than they can write a check -- I can tell there's going to be another Sorrows of the Author's Life episode based on that.) So, to save themselves from writing any more checks than necessary, they try to figure things so that how much you'll probably earn in royalties is about equal to how much they pay you as an advance. If they're wrong, if your royalties don't pay back the advance, that's okay. You don't have to repay them. (And if someone wants you to pay back the unearned portion of the advance you are definitely in the Bad Part of Town.) (Next trivia point: It's entirely possible for publishers to make a profit on books that don't earn out. Don't ask why or attempt to understand it; only know that it is true.)

But suppose they're wrong in the other direction? Suppose you earn more than the advance. Happy day, right? Money in the pocket, let's go down to Burger King and it Supersized?

Not so fast, Bucko.

Remember, bookstores don't buy books, they only display them. At any moment they could return those books for credit. If the publisher has already paid you royalties for those books, then they lose. Publishers hate losing.

So, enter the Reserve Against Returns. This is money that you've earned, that they owe you, that they hold onto on the off chance that copies of those books will be returned and it'll turn out that they didn't owe you that money anyway. What the publishers know is how many copies they shipped -- they don't know what will come winging back.

Exactly what the reserve against returns is, is a secret. They won't tell you how big a reserve is being held. But due to my skill with correlating information, keen observation, and a drop or two of sodium pentathol, I have a fair idea of the numbers.

Before we continue, you need to know that royalties are generally paid semi-annually (in November and April), and that royalties are paid on the cover price of the book, regardless of what discount the publisher gave to the distributor or the bookstore. (There are exceptions to this, but they are small, minor, and rare.)

Now ... here you are, happy writer! You have gotten a $5,000 advance for your novel, against 10% royalties, and the book is selling for $10 a copy. And, in the very first royalty period (because your book is both briiliant and exactly what everyone wants for their birthday) some 5,000 copies sold. Joy, rapture! Your book's earned out, right?

Not so fast, bucko. Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't. Maybe every one of those people who go the book for their birthday will say "Yech!" and return it to the store. So the publisher figures, in the first royalty period, a 100% reserve against returns. No matter how many people bought, you aren't going to see a dime.

How about next royalty period?

They firgure a 75% reserve against returns. (Now they've already been paid for those 5,000 copies, and they've gone back to press and shipped more, but y'know? Maybe they'll be returned.) By now 10,000 copies have shipped, but the publisher says, "Hmmm ... could be returns, y'know" and only credits you with $2,500. Your book has been out for a year, and has brought in $10,000 in royalties, but sorry, chum, that advance still hasn't earned out.

Six months later, the reserve against returns is going to be 50%. Your book continues to sell, now 15,000 copies have shipped, but only $7,500 of the $15,000 you've brought in will be remitted to you (after subtracting the orginal advance, the publisher cuts you a check for $2,500. (He'd rather have the money in his account earning interest for him, than in your account paying for macaroni and cheese.)

Another six months -- your book's been out for two years now -- and the reserve against returns is down to 25%. Say you've sold another 5,000 copies in the last six months. That is to say, by now, 20,000 copies shipped, and you should have $20,000. But reserve! You're only credited with 15,000 of them, so your royalty check is $7,500.

Finally, next royalty period, the reserve against returns drops down to 0% (they've made tons of money off you; the publisher's paid off his yacht and his kid's braces). Say you sell another 5,000 this royalty period. By now you've sold 25,000 books, total, and only been paid $15,000. So now you catch up, with a nice check for $10,000. From now on, a book shipped is a dollar, and all's well.

Except this is a very unrealistic picture I've given you. A book that sells 10,000 a year for three years? Wonderful, but books tend to go out of print lots quicker than that. It isn't at all uncommon to get the final payment, the reserve that the publisher has been holding onto all that time, at the same time you get the notice that your book has gone out of print. When none are printed or shipped for a year, and they give back the rights, it's hard for 'em to argue that they're still waiting for returns.

Shall I talk about Basket Accounting?

That's when you sign a multi-book contract. In basket accounting, no book earns out until they all earn out. Anything above the advance that the first book brings in is applied to the unearned advance on the other books in the contract. You don't see a dime until after the entire advance for all the books is paid back.

So, anyway, that's the latest episode of As the Stomach Churns, the Horrors of the Literary Life.

Yeshanu

That's when you sign a multi-book contract. In basket accounting, no book earns out until they all earn out. Anything above the advance that the first book brings in is applied to the unearned advance on the other books in the contract. You don't see a dime until after the entire advance for all the books is paid back.

:ack

Is it better then to sell them one at a time, even if you're planning a trilogy or series?

James D Macdonald

Is it better then to sell them one at a time, even if you're planning a trilogy or series?

Yes, but see if you can.

Y'see, the publisher is betting that you'll do well -- so they try to get as many books as possible under contract all at once, so you're getting First-Timer advances on all of them. They get three books cheap, rather than your price going up each time.

(The happy fellow in the story above, who sold 25,000 books on his first novel with the $5,000 advance -- it would be reasonable for him to come back and ask for a $25,000 advance next time. But ... if the publisher was cagey and offered him a two-book contract for $10,000 ... would he say no to that? And they've just saved $20,000 on the next book's advance.)

Next hint: If you aren't ready to walk away from the table at any time, you don't have any business negotiating.

<HR>

It is possible to negotiate a multi-book contract that isn't basket accounted. Just be aware that for some publishers that might be a deal-breaker. That's where having an agent comes in handy. The agent should know what the clauses you can negotiate are, and which ones the publisher won't budge on.

ChunkyC

Re: Comics and Novels

:wha

No wonder Isaac Asimov had such big sideburns, he couldn't afford a razor until long after they'd become his trademark, and so he had to keep 'em. :grin

evanaharris

Re: Comics and Novels

*bastard EZBOARD deleted my post because of HTML comments that IT put there...

ANYWAY...

But, of course, Chunky, you wouldn't have it any other way...

I've already resigned myself to no money. Hell, I'm an English major, and they don't make any money, either. Why should I expect any different as a writer?

arrichmond

Thoughts

Hi all!

I am very new to these boards and have been working my way through the excellent discussions so far (I'm up to page 47 at the moment...).

I hope you'll forgive me if this has been answered in pages 48-116, but I need to know...:huh

How do people deal with a character's thoughts?

Do you place them in "" "" marks? eg

"That's strange," he thought

or do without them? eg

That's strange, he thought

The novel I am working on (my first...) is written from the third person, and involves a detective returning to work after the death of his father. I want to represent his thoughts as a way of revealing certain parts of his character, as well a introducing a couple of other characters.

Thanks in advance for your responses...

PS and special thanks to Uncle Jim for this thread...

James D Macdonald

Re: Thoughts

How you represent a character's thoughts varies. Most commonly, I think, they're italicized, but as long as you're consistent, and the reader isn't confused about what's being spoken aloud and what's just being thought, it doesn't really matter.

Here's a suggestion: Pick up a recent book from a well-known author. Read it. See how he or she shows characters' thoughts. You do the same.

Risseybug

Here's one for you, Uncle Jim

What do you do when everything you are writing is complete crap? I have a good idea, a good start and good characters. For some reason they seem to be stagnating in this holding pattern. I put things on the paper, then when I go back and look at it, I go "ICK", what the hell is THAT about?
I think I am on my way to working it out, but is there an exercise or method that you would recommend for overcoming this hole I am digging?

Gala

crap

Touchy feely: Give yourself permission to write crap.

Go get 'em: Be glad you recognize crap when you see it. Many don't.

Common sense: Practice makes perfect.

Carrot and stick: Talent is fueled by discipline.

Literary: All first drafts are...

AW deletes a word in my link. Get it by googling All first drafts are sh*t with correct spelling.

paritoshuttam

Hi,

I would suggest using italicised thoughts only if there is a small amount of thinking to be done, and if there is some important revelation or discovery done in it. Pages of italicised thoughts are distracting and not easy to read.

It isn't that hard to write thoughts/feelings. What works for me in third person POV is:

Make that person do something. Then put his thoughts down simply, no need to tag them with "he thought, he felt".

e.g.
Neo was shocked to see his name appear on the monitor. How did they know his name? Someone must be watching him all the time. It was eerie.

Hope that helps.
- Paritosh.

Risseybug

crapola

Thanks Gala, I feel much better now.
Last night I conducted an interview with myself about the book. Yep, sat there and talked to myself. Amazingingly the book came into clearer focus. I guess that was what I needed - to actually say what the book was going to be about rather than hash it out in my head.

Yeah, the first draft will still be crap, of course, but a much better grade of crap.

arrichmond

Thoughts

Thanks Jim and Paritosh

I'm haviong a read of a couple of my fave books now, but evern just changing athe majority to the way Paritosh suggetsed has made the flow of the first couple of chapters much better. Cheers

Alan

karenl

stuck? or just composting?

:smack Hi, all. I've been following along with the thread and come to a point where I want to toss something out to chew on. I'm currently writing a mystery novel. I have the locale. I have a protag. I know how the victim died, who killed her, and why. I know who the victim is. (None of these last items is known to the protag at this point, of course.) I'm aiming for something that's a bit on the location-heavy side of things. (My spouse, who can't stand to read any fantasy I write, loved the first two pages of this and mentioned Hillerman. Yay! he likes it!) And I guess from all the talk that it's some kind of a procedural. My question is, I got the protag to the area where the body is discovered and he's going around asking questions and stuff. It's feeling kind of stuck, though, and I'm not sure if that's b/c of the spiritual conflict I suspect my guy's gonna have by the end--a man of the cloth is tarnished, and you know how that bothers folk sometimes--or if it's b/c he hasn't met the girl not-of-his-dreams or if it's all of the above and besides he needs to encounter more opposition than just the confusion/lack of info he has now. I have into'd the fact that he has a married brother who's trying to pawn off a puppy or three on him from the family pet who just spawned, and whose wifey is always trying to set him up with Unsuitable Women who give him screaming claustrophobia. The spiritual bit just occurred to me, but I think it may be a real thing for this character.

Do y'all think I'm composting and the answer will come if I just keep typing cr*p to myself in sequential "brainstorming" files or is there something that sounds missing to y'all? Ideas? And where falls the line between using recognizable, "real" localities and fake ones? What about the need for such community fixtures as pastors and doctors--if I use the "real" locales and invent new staffers for them, is anyone bothered? I'm already thinking I have to invent a gate in the miles of fence along US 281. Maybe.

Help?

Karen

evanaharris

Re: stuck? or just composting?

Invent all you like. Don't worry about it. No one cares if you use real locales and invent people to work there.

And if you're feeling stuck, through something else into the mix. A new character, someone that doesn't want the "priest" asking questions, or a dinosaur on the loose, or an asteroid, or a zombie...or...you get it.

Yeshanu

Karen,

It sounds like you're composting at this point...

But go ahead and write crap, because otherwise the composting stage could go on forever. (This is coming from an expert composter...)

Get the first draft down on paper. When it's written, you'll see very clearly what the inner conflict of your protag is.

maestrowork

Yup, keep writing. Let your characters speak to you, tell you what they want to do. Allow yourself to write crap -- this is a first draft.

When you find yourself getting stuck with a character at one place, try something else: Introduce a new character? Move him around? Write another scene without him in it (even if he's a first person protagonist, write a scene that doesn't involve him... but it's part of the story... later, you can just pretend you didn't write that scene but it helps you develop the story/backstory, or characters)? Write some back stories? Etc. Etc.

Risseybug

Compost..

LOL. I like that way of looking at it.
I have to say, Karen, that I feel your pain. Crap is a way of life for the writer, I suspect. I don't remember having this problem with my last book. But this one is better already, sans the crap parts.

I needed to just step back and ask myself "why?" Why is this person doing this thing right now? What would be the next logical thing to do?

I like the other suggestions of writing something else. Do a fanfic on your own work. Hmm.. might try that.

HConn

Re: stuck? or just composting?

Karen, start building the conflict. Make sure you have conflict in every scene. I suspect that it will feel less like composting then

Good luck.

pianoman5

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I needed to just step back and ask myself "why?" Why is this person doing this thing right now? What would be the next logical thing to do? <hr></blockquote>
I think this is one of the most important things we have to bear in mind when writing fiction.

Plot is all about 'And so...', rather than 'And then...'

When we're being creative I'm sure most of us write plenty of 'and then...' material. That's what wild ride first drafts are for. The trick is to recognise afterwards the stuff that doesn't belong or doesn't fit, relinquish our pride of authorship, and ruthlessly expunge or fix it.

As Samuel Johnson said:

"Read over your compositions, and wherever you meet with a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out."

Elizabeth Genco

re: crap

Touchy feely: Give yourself permission to write crap.

"Touchy feely" or not, I've found that this one is really useful. I have a little handwritten note on my bathroom mirror that reads:

"I hearby give myself permission for my writing and storytelling to be really, REALLY bad."

Otherwise, I may not write at all.

And I ain't havin' that.

WeightlessTiger

Thanks Jim

Jim, thanks for all the posts you have made in an effort to help us new wirters. I just started reading this thread in the past few weeks and have gotten to page 42 so far. Your advice has been of great value to me because, although I have been writing technical reports for close to 20 years, I have just started my first fiction novel. After starting my novel, I did lots of research into ways to improve my writing and to learn about the business of publishing. Your thread has proven to be the most usefull tool for me so far.

Thanks.

James D Macdonald

A personal note

Good friends --

What I've been up to lately ...

My mom died a week ago Wednesday, after a protracted illness (cancer). The funeral was Saturday, the interment Monday (1,200 miles away), and the reading of the will and appointing of the executor yesterday.

This has led me to be remiss in several of my commitments, posting in this thread not the least of them.

I'll be at <A HREF="http://www.sff.net/paradise/" target="_new">Viable Paradise</A> all next week. When I get back, more activity from me, eh?

Rather than filling this group with expressions of sympathy, please consider making a small donation to the American Cancer Society.

-- Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.