Status
Not open for further replies.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
Hi, Jim! I'm glad to see you're keeping up the Uncle Jim thread.

I have a question, and forgive me if this is inappropriate:

I'm near to finishing my first novel. It's a science-fiction novel (is there some other kind?). Pretty soon it'll be ready for the first readers to look over, and a few months after that, it'll be ready to submit to publishers.

Now what?

I've seen so much bad advice online on how to get published that I don't know what to do next.

Do I need an agent? If so, how do I find a good one?

Thanks!

Mitch, I'm not Uncle Jim, but I just did this (omg) two years ago. Here's what I did:

First, start working on a query letter now. Write and revise it, then put it away for 2-3 weeks, then revise it again. Get some friends to look it over. I revised maybe six times.

Then, go to agentquery.com and make a preliminary list of agents who handle work like yours and are open to new writers. Double check the guidelines listed there with the agents' own websites--obviously, the agent's sites should be the final authority. Then go to Google and enter "[agent's name]" Interview. Review their personal preferences; if the agent hates cannibalism or cat-girls or Randian MilSF and that's what you've written, scratch them off your list.

You'll also need to create a synopsis. They ask for different ones, but I only did a two-pager, and it didn't seem to hurt me.

Yeah, this takes a long time, but you want to query widely and carefully, and your efforts will be rewarded (provided you've written a book they want).

Good luck, man.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Mr Jim, I have a question.

You've said repeatedly that you write under several aliases.

I'm currently working on a novel that is very adult in nature with gore, violence, sex and language.

The first trilogy I wrote, I'm thinking of removing the few instances of very gory action and language and cleaning it up a bit. Not quite YA, but not so adult either. More mainstream.

The next book I'm going to write is fairly solidly YA. I'm aiming square at the young boy demographic.

The book after that will be a return to mainstream adult but not hardcore.

Can I release all of these under my own name?

Last edited:

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
The tremendous amount of work it takes to sustain a living as a writer is far greater than most are willing to pay.

It was then I set one goal for myself. One published novel by a reputable New York house. That's all. A tough enough task without adding overly imaginative expectations better reserved for creative writing.

I don't care about making money writing, I care about writing well enough to be published.

Ken, I think you'll find that many (all?) agents are searching for new writers who can sustain a career writing full-length novels, in preference to someone who can/will write only one.

Aren't you secretly planning to write another one if the first is a great success?

I love writing. I use to hate editing/rewriting, but not any more. I've been doing it for so long now with my current WIP, that it's like a real job. I eat, sleep this novel.

I can't wait to move on and write another, but that's a pleasure for the future.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Can I release all of these under my own name?

You can. Whether you want to is something you should discuss with your agent, your editor, and the publisher's marketing people.

Will the folks who read one of your books, on picking up the next one with the same author's name on, it be disappointed? That's the question.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
You can. Whether you want to is something you should discuss with your agent, your editor, and the publisher's marketing people.

Will the folks who read one of your books, on picking up the next one with the same author's name on, it be disappointed? That's the question.

If JK Rowling (Sorry to use that as a fking example) wanted to write a hardcore zombie story that was rated R, would they use her real name?

What if King wanted to write a kids book?

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ken, I think you'll find that many (all?) agents are searching for new writers who can sustain a career writing full-length novels, in preference to someone who can/will write only one.

Aren't you secretly planning to write another one if the first is a great success?

I love writing. I use to hate editing/rewriting, but not any more. I've been doing it for so long now with my current WIP, that it's like a real job. I eat, sleep this novel.

I can't wait to move on and write another, but that's a pleasure for the future.

I've written (8) full novels in my quest for publication. And, I finished the last one and started another. I'll always write, no matter the outcome of my goal. Sure, I plan to continue to write even if I am accepted and published. But my goal is simple, and is my driving force; not money, or fame, or accolades. The goal is to accomplish a task that puts you at a place that says your writing is publishable.

I never said I'd only write one novel and then I'm done.

I will be satisfied as a writer if my goal is achieved, but that doesn't mean I'm finished writing.

I guess at some point a I need to ask the question of the multi-published as to the pressure placed on a writer to perform on by a deadline. UJ?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."

Deadlines can concentrate the mind wonderfully, but they're also draining.

I keep saying to myself that from now on I'm going to write the book first then sell it, but the need for ready cash keeps making me sell the books on spec. If I ever get far enough ahead....

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Ken. Getting past that first goal is what I aim for right now. Once I've achieved that, I can set new goals, multiple book deals, movie deals, whatever. One step at a time, Bobby boy.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."

Deadlines can concentrate the mind wonderfully, but they're also draining.

I keep saying to myself that from now on I'm going to write the book first then sell it, but the need for ready cash keeps making me sell the books on spec. If I ever get far enough ahead....

So you're just constantly writing to pay the bills?

I know that sounds odd but I mean, you're fairly established.

You have to write books on spec just to make a living?

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be adding you to my long list of heroes then. That's tremendous.

It's nothing. 800,000 thousand words, + -, not counting short stories and other penned items. See (Crack of death) and (Stories of Strength).

And, I didn't start writing yesterday. I'm six years into it the novel writing effort.

There are a few people here at AW that pound at that many words a year. If you're looking for a hero, try them. TT42 is one.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
What does "writing on spec" mean?

Does this mean that you sell the logline or summary for the book and then go and write it?

Or does it mean something else?

You've done really well, Ken. I've written only 3 novels in 14 years !

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah. That's what being a full-time professional author means.

It's my job.

I'm sorry. I guess I should rephrase.

Are you "living paycheck to paycheck?" Edit: IE(2) I realize you write to pay the bills but it sounds as if you're only scraping by.

IE: Are you able to have savings, etc.

The idea of constantly being behind the gun and having to rely on selling books on spec sounds as though you're forever in debt or at least in dire need of the money.

I'm probably not explaining this well. As you've noted once already today I do not have a proper command of my words.

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
I think lucidzfl is basically wondering if you could take a ten year vacation without wanting for money.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
So you're just constantly writing to pay the bills?

Aren't you constantly working to pay the bills? Most of us are not independently wealthy, and have to work to pay the bills. What I learned here is that writing is a job like any other. If you can pay your bills writing, that's already pretty awesome.

Delhomeboy

Registered
Reaction score
Aren't you constantly working to pay the bills? Most of us are not independently wealthy, and have to work to pay the bills. What I learned here is that writing is a job like any other. If you can pay your bills writing, that's already pretty awesome.

Again, don't think he was trying to be condescending, just think that HE thought Uncle Jim was, ah, shall we say "financially set", so he doesn't HAVE to write to pay the bills. Which he very well may be.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I guess I should rephrase.

Are you "living paycheck to paycheck?" Edit: IE(2) I realize you write to pay the bills but it sounds as if you're only scraping by.

IE: Are you able to have savings, etc.

The idea of constantly being behind the gun and having to rely on selling books on spec sounds as though you're forever in debt or at least in dire need of the money.

I'm probably not explaining this well. As you've noted once already today I do not have a proper command of my words.

99.9% of pubbed writers don't drag in big number advances like the NYT bestsellers you know of. Those big number advances are akin to winning the lottery. I see a mis-conception here.

Say you get a $40,000 advance for a mid-lister with a sales history.

That's all you'll get until you sell another book, as the book you sold will have to sell through the advance to pay royalties.

I hope I've learned this and am repeating it correctly, Jim.

So, as a Full Time Writer, you pay the insurance and taxes on the house, and taxes on the 40,000, and medical insurance, and the mortage payment ahead, change the oil in the car and pay the light bill et al. And write a new book. That's 40,000 for a year. Some of us make more money than that on our day jobs.
After some years of writing you may get residuals from earlier works that trickle in, in small checks. Your spouse my be a professor at a local college part time, and suppliments the income or whatever.

It ain't big money for the majority of writers, folks. It's not big fame and fortune. It's living the life you love, and that's being and doing what you love, and that's writing.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Living paycheck-to-paycheck is remarkably settled and predictable compared with freelancing.

But, my house is completely paid off, I've put two kids through college (with a third in college right now), and I can do pretty much anything I please.

If you're looking for predictable income (either in amount or timing), this isn't the job for you.

Your writers who are living on writing are mostly middle class, with all the same problems of any other middle-class wage slave. Sure, there are some superstars. Very few.

Same with all the creative arts. You have a few movie stars who could, if they wanted, take what they earned on their last film and live comfortably for the rest of their lives on that. But most actors have to keep working if they want to keep eating.

Royalties are nice, but unpredictable. It's good to be able to write three-and-an-outline and get multiple-thousands for it, but then you have to go and write the book. Including days when you aren't inspired. Including days when you loathe the book. Including days when you want to do something else instead.

Always assume that your on-signing money is the only money you'll ever see for any given project. (And yes, it's possible to write a novel faster than a publisher can write a check.) I've mentioned, from time to time, the slings and arrows that face the writer? That's one of 'em.

When I talk about having to do your BIC every day, I'm trying to prepare you for that day when you, too, become a full-time author. Get the habits now. You'll need 'em. And always improve, because if you aren't going up, you're going down.

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Well and remember that that $40,000 probably comes in halves or thirds and 15% goes to the agent, another 20% or so to taxes, save a bit for publicity, and on and on and on...

Delhomeboy

Registered
Reaction score
Always assume that your on-signing money is the only money you'll ever see for any given project. (And yes, it's possible to write a novel faster than a publisher can write a check.) I've mentioned, from time to time, the slings and arrows that face the writer? That's one of 'em.

This is the second time I've seen you say something like this, and I'm looking for some clarity. Now, I know if you don't get a high amount of royalties, it might take a while to get the royalty money. But (and yes, I know this happens very, very, rarely) if I get a 10,000 dollar advance, and then my book sells 1,000,000 copies, at, let's say, just $10 a book, that's 1.5 million at a 15% royalty rate...and that's a lot of money to just disappear.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I think lucidzfl is basically wondering if you could take a ten year vacation without wanting for money.

I think you're the one with your head up your keyster thinking you're going to be a multimillionaire off your book that rushed from first draft to shelves in 2 weeks when you revolutionize the publication system lol.

Theres a big difference between taking 10 years off and fighting to keep the electric on.

My massive aspirations are to make $40,000 a year off of writing. My assumption is that I would never be even 1/10 as prolific as uncle Jim. That said, if he's fighting to put food on the table and unable to make even a few luxury purchases with his income, I may seriously have to rethink writing as a career.

Edit: Thanks for your clarification Uncle Jim. I'm going to leave my above post however because DHB is a wank.

Last edited:

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Living paycheck-to-paycheck is remarkably settled and predictable compared with freelancing.

But, my house is completely paid off, I've put two kids through college (with a third in college right now), and I can do pretty much anything I please.

If you're looking for predictable income (either in amount or timing), this isn't the job for you.

Your writers who are living on writing are mostly middle class, with all the same problems of any other middle-class wage slave. Sure, there are some superstars. Very few.

Same with all the creative arts. You have a few movie stars who could, if they wanted, take what they earned on their last film and live comfortably for the rest of their lives on that. But most actors have to keep working if they want to keep eating.

Royalties are nice, but unpredictable. It's good to be able to write three-and-an-outline and get multiple-thousands for it, but then you have to go and write the book. Including days when you aren't inspired. Including days when you loathe the book. Including days when you want to do something else instead.

When I talk about having to do your BIC every day, I'm trying to prepare you for that day when you, too, become a full-time author. Get the habits now. You'll need 'em. And always improve, because if you aren't going up, you're going down.

Thanks much for putting up with my nearly incomprehensible questions. I'm trying to be polite and gentile, hence why I'm having a hard time asking you what I want to ask.

My goal is to make $40,000 a year (reliably) and move out to the country. I have done the make big bucks, live in big cities, party big thing.

I'm done with that lifestyle.

That said, if I was fighting just to pay bills, or decided which late payments to make, ALA college, I may just keep writing as a hobby not a career.

But if I can write, and reliably keep my lights on, and maybe squirrel enough away on the side to make trips after a few years, thats all I want.

I have NO impressions of fame, fortune, or glory. I just don't want to stress about money either. I've gotten to used to not having to.

Status
Not open for further replies.