Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, no, don't drink booze or beer or wine while you write.

Likewise don't snack on food.

Drink all the coffee you care to dump in. ICK. Don't drink it myself.

You'll form a bad habit really quick. Get fat/ter.

Think about it. You write everyday, which means you'll be drinking everyday. Soon you'll have ruined/ ended your chances at promising career, ala F.Scott Fitzgerald.

They'll try and make you go to rehab, you'll say, no—no, no.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
The point is don't start a habit that might interrupt your writing later. Let's say that you start writing while listening to your parrot reciting old Paul Lynn jokes. You become a famous writer, but can only write while the parrot acts. Then the parrot dies.

Do you know how long it will take you to find another parrot with that poor a taste in jokes?

Blue Sky

Registered
Reaction score
The VP XIII Student Handbook is first-rate work. Thanks for sharing Jim. Those are exellent guides on how to give and receive critiques. We could print 'em out and use 'em for SYW interaction.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Hi Uncle Jim,

Anyone really. I was wondering how to write grades in a story. EX: He opened his notebook. The first thing he saw was an 'F' in bold red ink at the top of his math test.

Single quote?
Double quote?
Something else?

I ask here because it feels naked without placing something around the letter. It seems wrong to me. I thought maybe someone who has had a little more experience in writing novels could help.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
In AP style and Chicago style, the letter-grade F isn't set off in any way.

The plural, F's, has an apostrophe.

You can do anything you please, provided you're consistent. The publisher's copyeditor will change whatever you do to house style.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
The point is don't start a habit that might interrupt your writing later. Let's say that you start writing while listening to your parrot reciting old Paul Lynn jokes. You become a famous writer, but can only write while the parrot acts. Then the parrot dies.

Wish I'd known that in frakking high school!

Oh, well, too late now. These days my muse is as much of an alcie as I am.

I kid! I kid!

:)

BTW, Uncle Jim -Getting that book query out to agents now and plowing ahead on a new WIP which I think has much more promise than most of my others (dark thriller material).

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

(to be honest, I usually work on several WIPs at the same time alternating between them when I get stalled or bored with one, but this ones one of the best I think I've had in a long, long time and if the others wait, well, I've used them ruthlessly as learning stepstones to this one).

(I hope)

:)

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Spent two days reading "Writing the Breakout Novel" (2001) by Donald Maass. Full of useful, insightful, stuff. I'm reviewing / rewriting WIP3. I think a fairly manageable rewrite will ensure that each scene is full of tension. After that, I will need to beef up some (most) of my characters and make scene settings stand out more...

If you want a long list of outstanding books to read (and I need this to catch up) look no further than this book by D. Maass.

I've started reading his "The Fire in Fiction" (2004). WIP4 is on hold.

Still trying to get my hands on a copy of "Covenant of Justice" or "In the Eye of God" by David Gerrold, to see what E-prime looks like. These books are not available in any library in Ireland or the UK! They are on Amazon.com, in US stores.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
According to Anne Stuart, there are three secrets to a fabulous writing career. Unfortunately, because they're so secret, no one knows what they are.

Therefore you have three not-so secrets:

1) Keep writing, even when you aren't inspired.
2) Keep submitting, even when you're discouraged.
3) Keep improving what you do, with a critical rather than an indulgent eye on your craftsmanship.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
According to Anne Stuart, there are three secrets to a fabulous writing career. Unfortunately, because they're so secret, no one knows what they are.

Therefore you have three not-so secrets:

1) Keep writing, even when you aren't inspired.
2) Keep submitting, even when you're discouraged.
3) Keep improving what you do, with a critical rather than an indulgent eye on your craftsmanship.

I don't know how you do that.

I'm feeling uninspired tonight.

Off I go to write badly, but write none the less.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Readers are unable to distinguish between talent and hard work.

Dave Barry once commented that he worked all week every week to write columns that looked like he'd knocked them off in forty-five minutes over a six-pack.

Carimel

Registered
Reaction score
Working on my first Mystery Novel

I am very excited that I have started working on my mystery novel. My husband is very supportive so that helps a lot. My question is : I have two different ideas for a story. I have tried to combine the both stories together but it does not make sense. Should I just work on one story and save the other one for a second novel?

5bcarnies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorinthedark.blogspot.com
I MADE IT!!!

It has taken me two weeks of reading this thread to reach this point. I've learned a lot in that time. I also have to give huge kudos to Mr MacDonald for sticking by this thread since 2003, especially when there seemed to be turmoil around every post. Thank you sir.

Now, back to learning and writing. I still have my two hours to complete. Although I am so happy right now I think I will push my BIC time to 3 or 4 hours. I feel that pumped.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Welcome, 5bcarnies! Has it really been six years? Well, I've been having fun.

Carimel: For a mystery, I really suggest doing an outline. One form of outline you might consider is a Ghod's-eye-view, where you write down what really happened, in chronological order, noting down when other people learn the facts, who they learn them from, and who they tell them to. This may help keep things consistent.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Welcome, 5bcarnies! Has it really been six years? Well, I've been having fun.

Carimel: For a mystery, I really suggest doing an outline. One form of outline you might consider is a Ghod's-eye-view, where you write down what really happened, in chronological order, noting down when other people learn the facts, who they learn them from, and who they tell them to. This may help keep things consistent.

Also, write the whole story outline again from the villain's viewpoint.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
D. Maass talks about novels which are based on the idea: "A stranger comes to town" and ignites the action. He doesn't cite any examples of books that follow this scheme.

Can anyone suggest some?

My WIP5 is based on this idea, and I don't want to reinvent the wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.