Not open for further replies.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Thanks, Uncle Jim. I'm still going over the list trying to find a publication appropriate for the story that's also reading (it's detective thriller/horror/fantasy in the same vein (literally) as Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden (without the sorcery) or maybe Fred Saberhagen's Dracula Files (with the vampire)). It's the intro story for my Quentin Dallas work (I'm writing the next story in the sequence currently and plotting the third (plotting in this case mostly means doing the background research for the weird stuff).

TLOAOT was previously rejected by F&SF, but will go out this afternoon if I have to kill somebody doing it.

:)

It went out a few minutes ago to IGMS, Pseudopod, GUD, and ElectricSpec.

Last edited:

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Euclid, I want to update on my recommendation about characters. I said to read Dean Koontz The Husband. But really any Koontz is good for it, he is, in my opinion, a master at creating characters. Some people will not agree with me, naturally, but they come to life with humor, realistic goals and aspirations, and the way they battle hardships. But my new recommendation is Life Expectancy. I'm reading it for the second time right now, and it's one of those books were I feel like I really know the MC. Others I've felt that way about are, Fear Nothing, The Good Guy, Odd Thomas, Forever Odd & Brother Odd. And I know horror isn't your thing, but Koontz is not a horror writer so much as a thriller/mainstream/fantasy/sci-fi kind of author (Fear Nothing being the closest to horror out of those books). If you read Koontz, and study how he builds his characters it could help you more than a hundred help-books. You can also read Tick Tock if you want thriller/sci-fi & slapstick comedy;)

Last edited:

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I've read a couple of Brother Odd books. Koontz's characters do have a warmth about them that's hard to define. I have another one of his somewhere... Darkfall. I think I've read it already. I seem to remember a very long (rather pointless) chase. I'll take another look at the early chapters for character build up. Thanks.

Admiral Snuggles

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, if I were going to recommend a book to supplement what we all learn in this thread (and I am) it would be Stein On Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies.

How's that for a subtitle?

The advice in it was revelatory to me, but of course, each writer has different needs at different stages of the learning process. This book had just the right information at just the right time.

Still, it's worth checking out.

Checked this out from the library and I'm 3 chapters in. The guy seems more sensible than Stephen Koch's Writer's Workshop, and more interesting than Ayn Rand's horribly dry On Writing.

So, I'm glad a found a book that works for me, but nothing substitutes practice, as Stein so sagely puts and Uncle J has monstrated in so many ways. Back to finishing my novel.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I'm reading "How to Tell a Story" by Peter Rubie and Gary Provost, while waiting for Donald Maass's two books to turn up from Amazon. I'm half way through it.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Checked out Darkfall by Koontz. It reads like a classic hard-boiled detective story at the beginning, so there's not much characterization going on, really.

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't read that one, it's an older one, if I'm correct--I think he achieved the grace of writing good-better-best characters around '98 when Fear Nothing was published. Twenty-two years into his career. Which gives me hope. Because I hope to always keep growing as a writer, seeing a well-known and accomplished author growing and improving throughout his career is good. It seems some writers just hit a peak, and stay on that level. Koontz, King, Kellermann, Straub (and many others) continue to better their approach to novel-writing. Even though I know Koontz is most likely going to have a dog (usually a Golden Retriever) in his books, some kind of paranormal activity, and a lot of wisecracks, it's usually not boring (to me). But I'm biased--more than any other author I've read he's the one who put the fire in me to start writing. Of course, to each his/her own;)

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
In the very beginning of this thread it was mentioned for submission to use 10-12 pt. Courier font. Now, that was back in 2003. Is Courier still the font of choice or has Times New Roman taken over? I have seen many sites contradicting themselves and I was wondering what is being used now.

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Jim uses Courier. I was using Times New Roman, but have recently switched to Courier. Both are widely accepted, because you want a font (I can't remember the term right now) where the letters are uniform: "I" takes up the same space as "S," and so forth.

ps, this post was in Times

Blue Sky

Registered
Reaction score
What Uncle Jim said. A "how to" book, in my opinion, should be looked at more in the vein of a "coach" than a hard & fast set of rules.

They might have good things to say, but 100% of it's not going to work for you all the time.

Yes, I agree. My fav little writing book was written when saying "should" was okay. Maybe the guy was a master of his trade, we would think. Then we'd do whatever the heck anyhoo. :)

After years of putting it off, I just read Ray Bradbury's Zen in the Art of Writing: Releasing the Creative Genius Withing You. Very simple, inspiring and accurate in my experience. Although I'm working toward being a published writer I learned what Bradbury says in this little book elsewhere. My writing process is quite similar to his. How fun.

Now for the millions of words he wrote before writing what he considered his first good, original story.

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
Um, what is wrong with the word should or could or would? Unless many many authors are making huge mistakes, many of the books I have read recently use these words. To cite some: the newest Anita Blake by Laurell K. Hamilton, Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan novels, the Twilight Saga, and several others.

To me that is saying using the word had is a no no too, when numerous recently published books out there use it. I write mainly in the first person, it is inevitable that my MC will use had or should.

I personally believe it is all dependent on a person's style and voice when writing. I recently posted on SYW forum and believe most of the criticism was based on my style. I went and read some of the work posted those who critiqued and found I honestly did not prefer the way they wrote either.

I think in the end it all comes down to opinions and we take and leave what we want.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Hi Jason. I don't think anyone is suggesting that any word shouldn't be used. I could be wrong, of course, and maybe we should wait until Blue Sky explains what he/she had in mind.

I picked up some gratuitous "self-editing tips" from a publisher's web site which, if taken to extremes, could stop me writing anything longer than a three word sentence!

http://www.lyricalpress.com/submissions

"Unnecessary words: Common offenders are that, had, and, really, very, little, then, and then, just, about, against, so, all, but, like and was/were."

No sign of "should" in that list.

:)

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I was just wondering because it seemed kind of extreme. Wow, Lyrical's list is a bit heavy. I think those words are fine if used sparingly. My first drafts usually are chock full of them and during the rewrite I search and eliminate.

I will say when it comes to the word "was" it is almost unavoidable when writing in the first person perspective.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I will say when it comes to the word "was" it is almost unavoidable when writing in the first person perspective.

Forget "almost" and you can remove the last five words as well.

My own view is that this sort of list is of very limited value. You have to write what you write. Okay, the editing process should help weed out unnecessary words, but the context is all important. Saying was/were should be avoided is just plain silly (and unhelpful) in my view. The verb to be is a critical element of the English language. I know if I really tried to avoid the words on that list, my writing would be stilted and probably unreadable.

(Who said that?)

Blue Sky

Registered
Reaction score
Um, what is wrong with the word should or could or would? ... I think in the end it all comes down to opinions and we take and leave what we want.

I commented tongue-in-cheek with political correctness in mind. However, your--y'all's--question(s) sparked something just the same. Btw: I'm a he, but not of Yoda's species. I just think he's cool; even a fuzzy pic of Yoda rates highly with me.

(I did notice how Jim used shouldn't.) :)

Just kidding!

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Should is not politically correct? Political correctness refers to saying "Little Person" or "Dwarf" instead of "midget," or "disabled" instead of "handicapped" or "crippled." But I think I know what you're saying; that particular words are seen as lazy and are, at best, less-acceptable in modern commercial writing.

Blue Sky

Registered
Reaction score
Forget "almost" and you can remove the last five words as well.

My own view....

I respect your views and those of others and I'm glad that we can share them freely.

Saying was/were should be avoided is just plain silly (and unhelpful) in my view. The verb to be is a critical element of the English language. I know if I really tried to avoid the words on that list, my writing would be stilted and probably unreadable.

Looks like the guidelines mean inappropriate usage, perhaps overusage.

When the verb forms "am, is, was, will be, etc." beckon, I check my bobber floating on comfortable surface habits. Perhaps a lunker verb nibbles? By using specific verbs habitually, the verb "to be" pops when I decide to use it after all. This and using prepositional phrases sparingly works wonders for my writing.

I'm not a successfully published, professional writer, however. Maybe Jim will comment?

Blue Sky

Registered
Reaction score
Should is not politically correct? Political correctness refers to saying "Little Person" or "Dwarf" instead of "midget," or "disabled" instead of "handicapped" or "crippled." But I think I know what you're saying; that particular words are seen as lazy and are, at best, less-acceptable in modern commercial writing.

In some circles, authors, speakers and even parents telling us what we should or shouldn't do is seen as being politically incorrect. Poor "should" committed no crime, but stands meek witness to my drowned, bloating attempt at humor.

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
baby in arms, no caps this post... i think i can see why a word like should might be seen as unacceptable--in text. it could be construed as presumtuous or preachy: "you should believe this," "you should live like that." but to me, all bets are off in dialogue. in dialogue our job is to create character speech that is true-to-life. real people say had, should, that, really, was,... but i could be wrong.

while i was typing this blue sky commented: i got it, thanks!

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Geroold discusses the verb "to be" in a chapter of his book mentioned above. He claims that he wrote his Covenant of Justice duology using a technique called E-Prime which avoids using "to be" in any manner. He states that the E-Prime evangelists say that "language infected with being has a flat and unexciting quality." (David Gerrold, Worlds of Wonder, p197). In addition, he gives the following list of words that can be searched for to eliminate the verb,

am, is, are, was, were, be, been, being, become

(Worlds of Wonder, p198-199)

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Should is not politically correct? Political correctness refers to saying "Little Person" or "Dwarf" instead of "midget,"

Vertically challenged is the pc term now, I believe.

Blue: when I said that telling people they should avoid the verb to be was unhelpful, that was not aimed at you (not even vaguely). It was aimed at those who write about writing.

If we remove all the naughty words from that last paragraph (including anything ending in "ing" and adverbs) we get:

"When I said people they should avoid the verb to be unhelpful, not aimed at you (not). It aimed at those who write."

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
That sounds...

Geroold discusses the verb "to be" in a chapter of his book mentioned above. He claims that he wrote his Covenant of Justice duology using a technique called E-Prime which avoids using "to be" in any manner. He states that the E-Prime evangelists say that "language infected with being has a flat and unexciting quality." (David Gerrold, Worlds of Wonder, p197). In addition, he gives the following list of words that can be searched for to eliminate the verb,

am, is, are, was, were, be, been, being, become

(Worlds of Wonder, p198-199)

...really interesting. I'd like to read something written using that technique. I'm off to the library...

Status
Not open for further replies.