Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
My reaction to the first page is in line with Maestro's though his is more eloquent. I have not read it yet.

I picked up the Twilight book for my 12-yr old daughter because I'd heard about it and I wanted to expose her to something that wasn't Tamora Pierce (fantasy) or Ed Greenwood (D&D fantasy). She generally devours books and yet she was the only one in her class who had not yet read it though she felt a certain amount of pride in being a hold-out.

She reports that she hated the first part of Twilight but continued to find out what the hoopla was about. Then, when she was done, she quickly read the next 3 books in the series to get to the end. She didn't like book 2 and wasn't thrilled about book 4.

Now? She's happy she can talk intelligently about it with friends and has an appreciation for some parts of the series.

If there had been no "noise" about the book, I would never have picked it up. And no, the first page wouldn't have grabbed either me or her.

MiltonPope

Registered
Reaction score
And it's time to play First Page!

Okay, everyone! Do you turn the page, or do you put the book back on the shelf?

I've started too many poorly written books lately. This is written well enough that I'd turn the page, but only once. In this case, if the page 2-3 layout didn't look promising, I'd close it.

Beyond that, I agree with Maestrowork's analysis.

--Milton

vox

Registered
Reaction score
...It was from this town and its gloomy, omnipresent shade that my mother escaped with me when I was only a few months old. It was in this town that I'd been compelled to spend a month every summer until I was fourteen. That

Okay, everyone! Do you turn the page, or do you put the book back on the shelf?

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but, I see some intrigue here:

From what did her mother escape? Surely it was more than just the weather. Why was escape necessary? What compelled the girl to return every summer until she was fourteen? Did she comply willingly or was it a struggle?

Having not read the book, I have no idea if there are entertaining answeres to these questions, but I am at least curios about it.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
1. First Sight

My mother drove me to the airport with the windows rolled down. It was seventy-five degrees in Phoenix, the sky a perfect, cloudless blue. I was wearing my favorite shirt--sleeveless, white eyelet lace; I was wearing it as a farewell gesture. My carry-on item was a parka.

In the Olympic Peninsula of northwest Washington State, a small town named Forks exists under a near-constant cover of clouds. It rains on this inconsequential town more than on any other place in the United States of America. It was from this town and its gloomy, omnipresent shade that my mother escaped with me when I was only a few months old. It was in this town that I'd been compelled to spend a month every summer until I was fourteen. That
Hi ho and away we go!

1. First Sight​
A book with chapters, and the chapters have titles. We're going to be introduced to something new, here. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you see the word-cluster "first sight"? Very likely "love at first sight." So, looks like we're in a romance.
My mother drove me to the airport with the windows rolled down.​
First person. Past tense. We have two characters in the first two words: the narrator, and his/her mother. We have action going on: driving to the airport. Which suggests a place: we're in a car, on a road, going to said airport. We have some sensual detail, "with the windows rolled down." That's well-done. Twelve words.
It was seventy-five degrees in Phoenix, the sky a perfect, cloudless blue.​
Answering the question, "where, exactly?" Expands on "the windows rolled down." Going to an airport suggests going on a trip, and a journey is a classic plot/metaphor for personal discovery. We're stressing light and perfection. Twelve more words.
I was wearing my favorite shirt--sleeveless, white eyelet lace; I was wearing it as a farewell gesture.​
Okay, our narrator is female. That "farewell gesture" suggests that a door is closing. The classic place to start a novel is when a door closes behind the protagonist, leaving him/her in an unfamiliar and uncomfortable place with no way back to the past status quo. Eighteen words.
My carry-on item was a parka.​
Right. This is very well done. The contrast is that the weather where the protagonist is going will be cold, and the item is carry-on because she'll need that parka right away. A parka, with its concealing hood, long sleeves, and hip-length, contrasts strongly with that white sleeveless openwork shirt. Six words. Half the length of the shortest sentence so far. Good impact. The word in the position of power is "parka."

End of paragraph one.
In the Olympic Peninsula of northwest Washington State, a small town named Forks exists under a near-constant cover of clouds.​
Answering the question "where is she going?" "Forks," as in forks in a road, implies choices. Keeping on with the journey. Contrasts the clouds with the brightness of Phoenix. Contrasts the size of the town with the size of Phoenix (no need to state that Phoenix is a large city; we all know that). The word-order choices are non-conventional, to put stress on 'exists' and 'clouds.' Alliteration on constant cover clouds. Twenty words, changing pace from the first paragraph. Slowing down the reader. Semi-infodump, but a well-done info dump.
It rains on this inconsequential town more than on any other place in the United States of America.​
Not just a small town, an inconsequential town. A big word for such a small town. And a trivia fact. Is it true? Dunno, but the reader will go along with it because the author says so, and the forward motion of the story (and it is moving forward, the car is going to the airport, and the narrator is dreading the end of the journey, producing tension) induces believe. No one counts the rivets on a moving train. Spelling out the full name of the country, rather than just saying "America." What's up with that? Trying to put off the arrival? Eighteen words.
It was from this town and its gloomy, omnipresent shade that my mother escaped with me when I was only a few months old.​
Not just small, not just inconsequential, but filled with shade (and shade, we know, is another word for 'ghost'). That shade/those shades aren't just shady, they're gloomy. The shade isn't just gloomy, it's omnipresent. Wow. That's some industrial-strength shade there. Revealing the character's state of mind. More contrast with the bright sunny sky we saw in paragraph one. A place to be escaped from. A place that a mother would flee, taking a tiny baby with her. A place where you need a parka right away. Twenty-four words make this the longest sentence so far. Slowing down....
It was in this town that I'd been compelled to spend a month every summer until I was fourteen.​
Ah, so it isn't just a place she's heard of. She know for herself how dreary it is. Only compulsion would put her there. A mother fleeing alone with a child and that child compelled to spend a month every year suggests a divorced dad with court-ordered custody. The protagonist is apparently young, but still undefined. Right now, her mother, her protector, is sending her back despite her obvious reluctance. Yet more tension. Nineteen words.

That​

The paragraph continues on the next page.

Let's see what words are in positions of power:

rolled down
cloudless blue
farewell gesture
parka

clouds
United States of America
old
fourteen

Of them all, "parka" is the strongest.

Four sentences in the first paragraph, at least five in the second.

I think it was nicely done, and reads aloud very well.

Last edited:

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Well, now that you put it this way, it sounds pretty good! Makes me wonder why I wasn't particularly pulled in.

I did think "compelled" was an odd choice of word. I read it as meaning "to be irresistibly drawn to" rather than "to be forced to". So I didn't get this feeling of possible divorce and custody.

ETA: I think I need to do a whole lot more of these first page exercises before I get any good at them or at writing my own openings.

Last edited:

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
I did think "compelled" was an odd choice of word. I read it as meaning "to be irresistibly drawn to" rather than "to be forced to". So I didn't get this feeling of possible divorce and custody.

I know, right? But that's what Mr. Webster and Mr. Oxford says.

SarahMacManus

Registered
Reaction score
I did, in fact, pick this up a few weeks ago and read the first two pages to see what all the hoopla was about. It certainly wasn't as bad as I had been lead to believe.

I might read it someday.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Just goes to show that technically proper framework does not an interesting beginning make. You can have a beautiful 24k gold picture frame, but if you stick Timmy's pudding finger painting in it, don't expect people to believe it's Picasso.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
1. I am not familiar with the word "parka", so I missed the implication completely.
2. I did not pick up that she was actually going to this town called "Forks". She didn't say so, should I have assume this?
3. I like small inconsequential gloomy, shady places where it rains a lot; Phoenix was way too hot for me and I hate cities anyway, so again, I didn't pick up on her reluctance to leave.
4. When her mother and she "escaped", I assumed they were escaping from somebody, not from that nice small, rainy, shady town.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
I can say this, your line-by has given me a new viewpoint on the possiblity of reading it, just to see. I have to admit I didn't feel an urge to read by the first page, and when I found out what book it was I automatically thought, "Oh, well it's that crap." Scary, I hope nobody hears of my work and stereotypically brushes it off like I did there. Now I want to read it just because I realize I didn't give it a fair chance just because of what book it is. :(

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
I think it was nicely done, and reads aloud very well.

I think this is very important for the flow of the story. Unlike the majority here, I read and enjoyed the series, and was drawn into it from the very beginning. There might be too much "murmuring" and mood swings as you read on, but it IS easy to read aloud, and even easier if you don't have to. That must be at least part of the reason why those that enjoyed the book finished 2,000 pages in less than a week.

I did not disect it the way you did, but I appreciate your analysis. It's very helpful to see why a paragraph worked. :)

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I've said before in this thread that prose can be a major turn-off for me, but funnily enough, this first page doesn't bother me.

What bothered me was when she called Edward's chest incandescant a few chapters in.

Oh, browsing the internets I spotted this bit of depression: http://goodexperience.com/2008/07/following-up-on-these.php. Can I have your thoughts, Uncle Jim?

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Uncle Jim,

What is considered a typical word count for first novel?

Somebody from my writing group asked that question. If you need specifics, it's around 60K words, around 300 pages, and a romantic mystery.

What would an agent see as appropriate for a first attempt?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Jim,

Somebody from my writing group asked that question. If you need specifics, it's around 60K words, around 300 pages, and a romantic mystery.

Dude. Ten threads.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, browsing the internets I spotted this bit of depression: http://goodexperience.com/2008/07/following-up-on-these.php. Can I have your thoughts, Uncle Jim?

I'm not going to do a line-by-line. Attentive readers of this thread will already know what I think on most of those subjects.

I will comment that he seems to be talking about non-fiction, and the non-fiction world is a bit different from the fiction world. I will also comment that the phrase "commercial publishing" has two words.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I'd put this one back on the shelf even if I didn't already know what it was (I didn;t at first and clued in only by reading the rest of the posts, but my mind was made up already).

It's just not my kind of read. I can read "dry writing". I do it all the time with ancient history and military history ("With Arrow, Sword & Spear", "A Brief History of Medieval Warfare", "Greek & Roman Naval Warfare", "The Dictionary of Ancient Places", etc., etc.), but this kind of stuff just turns me off. I'd go pick up something by Raymond Chandler, Glen Cook, JA Konrath, some guy named James MacDonald, or half a dozen others instead.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Uncle Jim,

What genre? What do the guidelines say for the publishers in that genre? 80-100K most places.

How do you get 60K words to fill 300 pages?

Mysteries can be short, but 60K is sliding toward the novella area. In romance you can sometimes see books with two or three novellas in them, so it isn't impossible.

If they're the exactly right 60K words, then there you go, and look at publishers' guidelines.

What do their guidelines say? Usually a query letter, a one-page synopsis, and the first three chapters.

Berry

Registered
Reaction score
I'd put it back on the shelf because I happen to know the rainiest place in the USA is on Kauai, Hawaii. Looking it up, I see it gets 480 inches per year.

If they can't get easily checked facts like that right in the second paragraph, no thanks.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Could be talking about the continental USA.

I had also wondered how you would get 60K to fill 300 pages. 18 point font, maybe?

When in doubt, always check the agent/publisher guidelines. Uncle Jim can only hold our hand so much;).

General Tso

you know you want some
Registered
Reaction score
dialogue

Jim,
Could you recommend a few books to look at for examplary present-day dialogue?

I can listen to real life conversation, but as you point out, that differs from written dialogue. I am finding myself writing it as it might "naturallly" occur, but it is not pointed or interesting enough for me.

lexxi

bold enough for both those XXs
Registered
Reaction score
I had also wondered how you would get 60K to fill 300 pages. 18 point font, maybe?

In print?

Short chapters with a book design that starts the new chapter halfway down the page. If each chapter is 2-3 pages long and ends halfway down the last page of the chapter, you'll end up with double or 1.5 times the number of pages you'd have without chapter breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.