Status
Not open for further replies.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Someone once said to write your book in the same room that you burned your television. I'm not an advocate of burning TVs indoors-- waste not, want not-- but I do advocate trading your TV for a library card. There are more things in heaven and earth than dreamt of in your evening news.

A notebook, a pen, and a daylong trip to the library are worth more than cable television and high speed internet.
I think we got off on the wrong foot here, Chris. Hi, my name is Steven Michael Sarber, and I am a writer. I have a larger book collection than dvd collection, and I have over 400 dvds. I guess I know better than to kid around in your presense, you seem to take things a bit too seriously.

Oh, and there is not a single thing wrong with keeping up with the state of the world we live in. Sorry to rain on your parade!

Chris Grey

Vagrant Story
Registered
Reaction score
I think we got off on the wrong foot here, Chris. Hi, my name is Steven Michael Sarber, and I am a writer. I have a larger book collection than dvd collection, and I have over 400 dvds. I guess I know better than to kid around in your presense, you seem to take things a bit too seriously.

Oh, and there is not a single thing wrong with keeping up with the state of the world we live in. Sorry to rain on your parade!

I meant no offense.

I only meant to support my earlier statement that despite the moral depravities oft reported by modern entertainment, history holds a rich cache of ideas and depravity from which to draw.

I only worded my post the way I did in response to your signature, which, by your above response, I assume to be outdated:
I seriously need a good tongue lashing to get my BIC!
My apologies.

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Now, if you would have said to get my ass in front of the computer, internet off and current document open, and away from the television, I would have gotten that.;) But I don't hold grudges or anything. We're all good.

And you do raise a good point. I have been needing to go to the library to check out some historical books, both non-fiction and fiction. I have an idea for like a gaurdian angel advising Alexander the Great. It would be a young adult book. Anybody know any good fictional accounts of him? I can find the non-fictional reference tomes I need.

And thanks, Chris, you are the first one to ever respond to my BIC sig comment. That's probably another reason I didn't think that was your intention.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Heads up

Hi Steven,

I think you mean "The ALTAR of Burnt Offering". ALTER is a verb, meaning to change. Although I'm not sure about US spelling. And have you really only got 3 words to go?

:)

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Issue has been dealt with in the share your work section, I just forgot to fix it in my sig. oopsie:tongue But the first draft is finished, three words shy of the goal. It will undoubtedly wind up a thousand or two over in the final draft.

Last edited:

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Oh, right.

By the way, Steven, I thought it might be better to change the name of your story "Avoidance of Reflections", and call is just "Reflections". Much punchier.

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's "reflection," not the plural form, because she has a phobia of mirrors, hence her reflection is the problem. But "Reflection" could certainly work. Titles are very important, as they are the first thing a person will usually see. So catchy, punchy, grabby... all good.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Mary Renault has a good book about Alexander. Can't remember its title but the ref librarian should be able to find it for you.

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Quick question, are they fictional history, or something of that nature? I may have read her biography of Alexander, if it was out before 1994, because I would have still been in high school. Unfortunately all the years of drinking wiped alot from my memory, so I'm going to check that one out when the libraries open back up tomorrow (today being President's Day, and all that). Thanks for all the help.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Uncle Jim,

One quick stupid question. What's a hook?
I'm not Uncle Jim, but I've always understood a "hook" to be a strong beginning to a novel, query, essay, script (you get the idea) that captures the readers' attention and compels them to read more. It should make your story instantly interesting to the intended audience.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
For people in the New York-Boston area (location is Pomfret, CT):

Taught by Leigh Grossman, faculty member of UConn and author of thirteen books. Evening and weekend sessions with small class sizes and lots of personal attention.

Why Some Books Sell... and Others Don't
A close look at how editors buy books and how the book publishing process works, including the basics of how to submit a manuscript, what editors look for in books (and what to avoid), what book proposals are, and how to avoid scams.
1 four-hour session - $50
Saturday, February 21, 2009: 1pm-5pm
Saturday, March 14, 2009: 1pm-5pm

Selling Your Book
Learn how to write and revise book proposals, how to find agents and potential publishers for your work, how to submit material to publishers in a way that maximizes your chances of a book sale, how to research markets, and how to avoid publishing scams.
6 two-hour sessions - $200
Mondays, beginning February 23, 2009: 7pm-9pm

Finishing the Story
Are you stuck halfway through a book? An intensive workshop on plotting, outlining, and solving story problems.
4 two-hour sessions - $150
Wednesdays, beginning February 25, 2009: 7pm-9pm

Advanced Writing Workshop
For writers who want to push their work to the next level, whether you're writing fiction or nonfiction. Write 150 pages in 15 weeks, working on a single novella-length piece or a section of a book that you're trying to finish. Learn to set and keep writing goals, edit and work with other editors, solve story problems, and write at a professional pace - all while keeping the rest of your life flowing smoothly.
introductory session, individual conference, plus 14 two-hour sessions or 7 four-hour sessions - $500
Wednesdays, beginning March 25: 7pm-9pm

Publishing Contracts
A close look at the language in actual publishing contracts. How do you tell a good contract from a bad one? What can you negotiate over, and what are the "deal-breaking" clauses on each side. This one-day workshop takes the mystery out of publishing contracts and royalty statements and helps keep you in control of your writing career.
1 four-hour session - $100
Saturday, March 7, 2009: 1pm-5pm
More information here: http://www.swordsmith.com/workshops.html or call (860) 208-4829

Also:

Advanced Romance Writing Workshop
For writers who want to push their work to the next level, with an emphasis on the specific requirements and audience expectations of the romance genre (whether you're writing historical, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, contemporary, or another subgenre of the field). Write 150 pages in 15 weeks, working on a single romance novel, and finish the course with all the tools you need to complete the book. Learn to set and keep writing goals, edit and work with other editors, solve story problems, and write at a professional pace - all while keeping the rest of your life flowing smoothly.
introductory session, individual conference, plus 14 two-hour sessions or 7 four-hour sessions - $600

Advanced Science Fiction and Fantasy Writing Workshop
For writers who want to push their work to the next level, with an emphasis on the specific requirements and audience expectations of the SF/F genre, and taught by a longtime genre editor and writer. Write 150 pages in 15 weeks, working on a single novella-length piece or a section of a book that you're trying to finish (and if it's a longer work, finish the course with all the tools you need to complete the book). Learn to set and keep writing goals, edit and work with other editors, solve story problems, and write at a professional pace - all while keeping the rest of your life flowing smoothly.
introductory session, individual conference, plus 14 two-hour sessions or 7 four-hour sessions - $600

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
Uncle Jim (and everyone else): How do you feel about downer tragic endings, speaking very generally?

I realize a lot depends on the execution, but do people have any examples of tragic endings that they like?

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
John LeCarré rarely has a happy ending. Even when the goal is accomplished, there's always a bitter side to the success. Hasn't stopped him from being a perennial bestseller. But you do have to be good to pull it off.

smsarber

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Since my genre of interest is horror and thriller (and suspense), I am used to what I call "either-way-endings." Like Judg said, the goal may be accomplished, the conflict solved, whatever- but it's still bittersweet. Maybe the MC lives but his son dies, or the bad guys are killed, but the aftermath of their destruction nearly ends life on earth. Like The Stand, you could call it a happy ending (though that would be a bit of a stretch) if you look at it one way, a depressing ending if you look at it from another perspective. Regardless, you have to write the ending you most feel is the right one. I read a book, I believe it was Iris Johannson(?) were the ending wasn't even an ending. The book just stopped. It didn't even feel like the end of the chapter, much less the book.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" has an interesting ending. I read it as hopeful; maybe the planet had a future after all. Others I know read it as a totally dismal ending. I can't say any more; might spoil it for someone who hasn't read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.