Not open for further replies.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
tattoos

My father served in the navy, and he has no tattoos.

I work in a small church with 80% Navy people in the congregation (about 40 people, total)

If I were to cut the tattoos from their bodies and make wall paper from them, I wouldn't have to paint the inside of the church.

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
My father was in the Navy and he doesn't have any tattoos, either. My problem with the "inevitable" tattoos is that they come before the it is revealed he was in the Navy which suggests they were inevitable for some other reason. I took it to mean they were inevitable because he was a short order cook but that didn't make sense to me.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I spent a few years on active duty in the Navy. Many of my shipmates got tatoos. Usually it was after a night of heavy drinking. My body is pretty much covered in freckles and I never thought a tatoo would look right, so it was a personal preference for me not to get one. I have friends who are in their sixties and still show up with a new one once in a while (he was in the navy too).

One hundred years ago, there may have been some correlation between sailors and tatoos, but today, I think more women get them than sailors.

Jake Barnes

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm saying if it read, "Abe had been career Navy and he had the inevitable tattoos to prove it," it would make more sence.

Bookdragonette

Differently Actual
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookish-dragon.dreamwidth.org
Just reading Uncle Jim's latest "Do you turn the page", and I have to say no, I wouldn't. However, I have a feeling this is going to be some famous writer. It's not Stephen King is it?

It doesn't feel like King. While he can be wordy, he doesn't tend to give out this much useless information.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Single or Double Quote Marks

Hi Uncle Jim,

This is sort of an offbeat question, but. . . are they teaching students in creative writing classes to use single quote marks instead of double? I thought single quote marks were only used when retelling what somebody else said.

"Do you know he said? He said 'Yeah, them doggies do hard time.' I'm still deciphering what he said, because I don't get it." (Bad line, but you get the idea. Right?)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Cal, in Britain they do it the other way around. You've probably been reading something from a British publisher.

In Canada, of course, we meld the two systems and confuse everybody. We do American quotation marks and mostly British spelling. But not always. Ya just gotta know.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Line-by-line through a first page!

It was shortly after four, when Mabel, the blonde and buxom waitress on the afternoon shift in the Snack Bar across the street from the hospital, went out to sweep the parking space in front of the shop.

That's a horse-choker of a sentence, but it covers the essentials: A person, in a place, with a problem. We have a bit of description, though it is trite and cliched.

"It was" is a weak opening word-group.

We have two locations being set up: the Snack Bar, and the hospital.

We have action: Sweeping. Not much action, but it's there.

She'd come on at three and the change from the late summer heat to the air-conditioned interior always made her arthritis painful, so she was glad of an excuse to get out in the warm September air for a few minutes before the five o'clock rush began.

A second long sentence. Nailing down the time still farther. Mabel's problem seems to be arthritis, rather than a dirty parking space.

The shop, all glass, stainless steel, red-cushioned stools at the counter and booths against the wall, occupied one corner of the Faculty Apartments parking lot.

Not quite as long, but still a fairly long sentence. We have description of the Snack Bar. Yet another location mentioned: the Faculty Apartments.
This dilutes the Snack Bar description by showing us something outside.

Across the street, above the ambulance unloading ramp, blue neon lights spelled out EMERGENCY ENTRANCE.

We're finishing up the first paragraph with more place-description, and pointing us in yet another direction, this time over to the hospital again. This is the TV establishing shot.

Second paragraph:
Weston University Hospital occupied the entire opposite side of the long block across from the Snack Bar, a mass of buildings with connecting walkways, built of cinder blocks painted white and tall columns of steel-framed windows.

Another long sentence. Some confusion: Is the Snack Bar the important location, or is the important location the University Hospital? And what in the world is a tall column of steel-framed windows? We're infodumping.

On the lunchroom side of North Avenue one end of the block was taken up with the towering building that housed the Faculty Clinic, a privately operated medical group to which much of the medical school faculty belonged.

Wow. Another super-sentence, and another location mentioned.
Only about five years old, the clinic had already been enlarged several times and, during the daylight hours, a constant stream of people flowed through its marquee-covered portico at the far corner of the block.

A bit clumsy, passive, and again quite long.

Presumably that constant stream of people is flowing even now, since it's daylight.

So ends page one. So far the only action, and the only person, is poor arthritic Mabel, sweeping.

Let's move on to page two....

The Faculty Apartments, owned by the university, occupied the entire end of the block, facing west on Weston Boulevard.

The third paragraph starts with a shorter sentence, but we're being directed back to the Faculty Apartments ... and another street. So far we've had Weston Street and North Avenue. We've repeated the name "Weston" in Weston University Medical School. We've had the Faculty Clinic, the Faculty Apartments, and the just-plain-old faculty.

Diagonally across the street from it, in front of the main entrance to the hospital, stood the housing facilities for married residents, interns and students, consisting of four apartment complexes with an enclosed playground.

Not only do we have the faculty, we have facilities. While the author needs to know this, I don't see why the readers do, at least not at this moment.

The main classroom buildings for the medical school were on the opposite corner of Weston Boulevard and North Avenue from married student housing, convenient to the hospital and all parts of the group of buildings that made up Weston University Medical School.

What a great gray block of text this has been, to be sure!

"Where'd you go on your day off yesterday, Mabel?"

A change of sentence rhythm, and the first dialog.

Abe Fescue, the short-order cook, lounged in the open door of the empty lunchroom, smoking a cigarette that was forbidden inside.

We're back to Mabel, and we're introduced to a second character, Abe. We have a lot of information packed into this sentence. A dab of characterization comes with the lounging and the cigarette.

A small transistor radio atop the counter, also forbidden when customers were in the shop, filled the air with a rock-and-roll tune.

Minor acts of rebellion, when no one is watching?

"On the Parkway," said Mabel. "I like to drive up there this time of the year."

More dialog, and yet another place introduced.

Located in the foothills east of the Great Smoky Mountains, Weston was primarily a manufacturing city.

Weston University, and Weston Boulevard, are in the town of Weston.

It had become a major medical center when the medical school had opened some fifteen years earlier, quickly outstripping in importance and stature the small, older university of which it was a part.

An infodump.

Rogue River curved around the city, with a dam some ten miles to the south forming a lake and a source of hydroelectric power that had made the town a natural location for a major textile operation.

Infodump.

"Fall's comin' early this year," Mabel added. "The leaves are already turnin' up towards the Knob."

We're back to the weather. And we have yet another place name.

"Won't bother me none," said Abe. "Come Thanksgiving, I'll be heading south for Miami."

Dialog. Is the plot developing?

"You short-order cooks are like birds, always flying north or south. I suppose you'll lose all your money at the tracks again this winter and come borrowin' from me next spring like always, so you can pay your rent the first month."

Dialog with characterization. A bit of mild dialect. One wonders who cooks at the Snack Bar when Abe goes south. Do short-order cooks frequently quit their jobs, and just as readily get rehired by the same places they skipped out on?

"This is going to be my best winter."

Characterization in dialog.

Abe was a thin man of indeterminate age.

What's "indeterminate age"? It means "the author doesn't know." Lazy writing.
His face was scarred by acne from childhood, and the inevitable tattoos, relic of Navy service, almost covered his upper arms.

A bit of description. (FWIW, I had a fifteen-year Navy career but don't have any tattoos.) The nice bit here is that we're being shown, rather than told, that he's wearing short sleeves.

"Why'd you stay around here winters anyway, Mabel? You could make twice as much in tips working in South Florida and still get your old job back in the spring, when the weather turns warm again.

Can they really get their old jobs back that easily? And, given that we've just had a massive core-dump of local geography, will Florida be important to this story?

The page ends here. For those who are wondering how the paragraph ends:
... waitresses are like short-order cooks; they can get a job anywhere."

Even if they have a history of quitting their jobs, forcing the proprietors to hire someone new? If you say so....

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
Being something of a minimalist, I would chop about half those words.
I hope this is just an off the top example or something. I don't want to dis anyone's work, he said, somewhat sheepishly.

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
Mabel stood beneath the blue EMERGENCY ENTRANCE sign, at once cursing the shadow of the giant hospital behind her and wishing the streetlight would never change. The three o'clock sun baked the parking lot of the snack bar across the street and she longed for that heat on her arthritic bones. When the white walking man appeared on the yellow box she moved between the striped crosswalk as fast as her aching hips would allow into the sun, but closer to the place she hated most.
Work.
Mabel knew what awaited her inside that crappy little snack bar. Arctic air-conditioning and the smell of cigarette smoke. Her bones would stiffen and Abe, the short order cook would sit there smoking, the sleeves of his button up shirt rolled past his elbows exposing the anchors on his hairy forearms.
This is no place to be, Mabel thought. Not with the leaves burning from green to reds and oranges, yellows and purples all over the Rogue River. Stuck here waiting tables, putting up with the after-school herds of teenagers moon-eying each other and feeling the girls up under the tables and that snarky old navy hound flipping burgers and smoking the place up. No place to be at all.
The parking lot needs swept. Butts, wrappers and cups decorate the parking blocks. Good, one more reason to escape that refrigerator and stand in the sun.
The mill, that's where she wanted to be. The old water mills on the river that used to power the town before it reached puberty and sprouted hospitals and textile mills. Now the river is held slave to hydro-electricity, but the mills remain rotting but still proud in their rustic beauty.
With a sigh that came from her toes she opened the door and let that first wave of cold air crash over her.
“That you, Mabel?” Abe's unmistakable southern drawl. Most of that is put on. Nobody really talks like that.
“Course it's me. Who else it gonna be? Can we turn off that air-conditioner yet? Fall comin' early, ya know.”
“Suit yourself. It does get a might hot over this griddle though. Fall come as early as it pleases. Come Thanksgivin' I'm Miami-bound.”
Same story every year, Mabel thought. Abe would blow his earnings at the dog track and spend winter on the beach. Those tattoos aren't for showing other people; they remind Abe of when he was more than a greasy spatula and gambling bum. She threw that thought away with the trash cluttering the counter and looked down the row of stools that stand before the counter like great red mushrooms. When was she ever something better than the waitress she is now?
“You fry cooks are like your own species of bird always flying south for the winter,” Mabel said as she tied her blond hair into a loose bun.

I just threw that together. I hope I'm not out of line. I'm a noob.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So.

Those are the first two pages from Doctors' Wives by Frank G. Slaughter. The sub-genre is Medical Thriller, filled with cutting-edge medical science and detailed descriptions of medical techniques. (Later on in the book, we have a page-and-a-half description of a doctor listening to a patient's chest with a stethoscope, following the sound vibrations from the bell all the way through the ear pieces, naming the three bones of the middle-ear (in English and Latin) then ending with the doctor using her years of training and experience to interpret the nerve impulses generated by the vibrations into a diagnosis.)

The Parkway and the Knob are never mentioned again. The playground (and, indeed, married student housing) play no part in the story that's to come. The next time Mabel appears in this book, 132 pages on, she'll again be described as "blonde and buxom" for the benefit of those readers who forgot.

Frank Slaughter published over thirty novels -- mostly medical thrillers. He himself was a physician before he turned to writing full time.

This book was published in hardcover by Doubleday in 1967. I'm working from the 1970 paperback reprint by Pocket ... sixth printing with the movie tie-in cover, for this book was indeed made into a major motion picture from Columbia, starring Richard Crenna, Gene Hackman, Carroll O'Connor, Rachel Roberts, and Janice Rule.

So.

What does this book have going for it? Why would you turn the page?

Here's the back-cover blurb:

How does a doctor's wife entertain herself while her husband is working?

DELLA played golf and turned to other women ...

AMY toyed with politics and drugs ...

MAGGIE turned to alcohol...

LORRIE passed the time with other women's husbands.

Wed to highly successful physicians, these women were bored, neglected, frustrated. This is their shocking story, a frightening look at the symptoms known as Doctors' Wives syndrome.

Here's the front sales line:

"Makes Mary McCarthy's Group look like a Victorian Sunday School Class."
And here's the front sales page:

"A prominent Weston physician has just shot and killed his wife."

The radio bulletin continued...

"A man, with the victim at the time and identified only as another doctor, was also seriously wounded."

Five doctors' wives heard the bulletin, and each one of them realized with despair and terror that the "other man" might be her husband.

Given that information ... now would you turn the page?

Indeed, this book features a sex scene roughly every twelve to fifteen pages (remarkably tasteful and restrained scenes by modern standards, but still, they're there).

We never do find out if Abe talks Mabel into going to Florida with him. Abe and Mabel are minor--very minor--characters, who appear as wandering viewpoints during the two or three scenes set in the Snack Bar. Aside from a couple of flashbacks, the action all takes place from a Wednesday afternoon through the following Sunday morning. The exact layout of the University Hospital, faculty apartments, and Faculty Clinic, aren't important at all. We'll get another full description of that dam and lake later on (when Dr. Pete Brennan, brilliant neurosurgeon, goes down there to whip around in his speedboat and contemplate divorcing his wife).

This novel is 330 pages of cardboard characters delivering as-you-know-Bob dialog interspersed with authorial infodumps. The main plot line is resolved by an entirely gratuitous and unforeshadowed plane crash. But! It has sex.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
This novel is 330 pages of cardboard characters delivering as-you-know-Bob dialog interspersed with authorial infodumps. The main plot line is resolved by an entirely gratuitous and unforeshadowed plane crash. But! It has sex.

Well...it's one up on the Twilight series.

Beyond that...

Nope. Wouldn't read it.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
My father served in the navy, and he has no tattoos.

It happens, but it's rare. Even now, with the heavy restrictions that the military imposes on tattoos, the vast vast VAST majority of the Navy men I know have them...including my husband, who has 3.

My dad did 20 years in the Navy and has no tattoos, but he's afraid of needles. He can't even look at my tattoos without flinching.

The assumption that a sailor would have a tattoo, though, is pretty reasonable.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
It happens, but it's rare. Even now, with the heavy restrictions that the military imposes on tattoos, the vast vast VAST majority of the Navy men I know have them...including my husband, who has 3.

My dad did 20 years in the Navy and has no tattoos, but he's afraid of needles. He can't even look at my tattoos without flinching.

The assumption that a sailor would have a tattoo, though, is pretty reasonable.
I'd have to agree. It is a reasonable assumption, but perhaps not one suited to just be blurbed in a novel. Now if the tattoos had significance, different story. (Did I spell that right? It doesn't look right, but I'm too tired to check.)

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish it was 1967 again.

I guess that if you are going to use whack-a-mole characters it should be in the beginning of a book.

Sex. Now there's a topic that grabs attention. And, with what seems to be an otherwise boring book, it needs to be there to hold interest.
I'd read it because I committed to it.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The tattoos:

Abe is a short-order cook. All short-order cooks are Navy veterans. All Navy veterans have tattoos. Therefore, Abe has tattoos.

This book is very much an artifact of its time.

What the characters needed was for Betty Friedan and Gloria Steinem to parachute into town.

What the novel needed was to take one of its minor characters, horn-dog medical student Mike Traynor, and make him the main character. Stay third-person close on him. Show the entire thing from his POV. He's the only active, interesting person with a clear goal in the whole novel.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As long as I have you all here, this is the last page:
...Orleans as its destination. Police authorities who found the plane several hours ago reported that Dr. Dellman was carrying a large amount of money on his person.

"So that's that." Roy reached over and shut off the radio when the announcer turned to national news. "Abner Townsend won't be able to make anything out of the case now."

He looked across the table and grinned at Alice. "You look mighty pretty this morning, sweet. I think you're going to enjoy being the wife of the next state attorney general."

ii

Sunday mornings, Mabel always went to early Mass, then came by the Snack Bar for breakfast. The terms of her employment allowed her one free meal a day, in addition to the one she ate while on duty in the evening--usually on the run.

"Everybody at church was talking about Dr. Dellman getting off and then being killed in a plane," she said to Geraldine, the morning-shift cook, as they were enjoying coffee and cigarettes together in the almost deserted restaurant.

"In here, too." Geraldine wsa inclined to be phlegmatic.

"It's funny." Mabel looked across the almost deserted street to the emergency entrance of the hospital. "To look over there now, you'd hardly believe all hell could break loose before you coudl say boo--like it did last Wednesday afternoon."

"That was something," Geraldine agreed.

"I guess Dr. Dellman getting killed sort of wraps the whole thing up. From what I've been hearing across this counter the past few days, a lot of people have had their lives changed since last Wednesday. It was pretty exciting while it lasted, though."

"Yeah," said Geraldine. "I guess it was."

"It's sorta like the passage the priest read from the Bible this morning. I think I still remember it:

A generation goes, a generation comes, yet the earth stands firm forever. The sun rises, the sun sets; and then to its place it speeds and there it rises...

"That reminds me," Mabel sighed. "Monday morning you'd better tell the assistant manager to take that other waffle iron and have it fixed. The upper-class medical students will be coming back to school next week. They sure do like our waffles."

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Betty and Gloria

What the characters needed was for Betty Friedan and Gloria Steinem to parachute into town.

Forgive my ignorance, Jim, but who on Earth are Betty and Gloria?

Didn't shakespeare start his plays with two minor characters setting the scene? I suppose you might say that was a different medium, but not that different. The feather duster approach is clearly a little heavy-handed and hackneyed now, but an author must get some basic facts across somehow if the story is ever going to unfold...

:)

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not much into medical thrillers, but I really don't care for cardboard, stock characters. I understand the times were much different then and, as a physician, Dr. Slaughter had an image to project.
That was really published? Made into a movie? Wow. Did he have a publisher friend? Was he a mason?
Perhaps I'm looking at it wrong. All I can see is what isn't there.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You can indeed start and end your novel with minor characters. What you shouldn't do is bring them in, then forget all about them for 130 pages (in the case of Mabel) or 150 pages (in the case of Abe).

They should also fulfill other purposes. They should have a sub-plot that comments on the main action, or be the only ones positioned to see the crucial action.

Frank Slaughter had that magical thing that so many wish they had: His books were crap but he sold a ton of copies. He had fans. There were people who waited eagerly for the next Frank Slaughter book to come out.

He also kept things moving right the way through with minor suspense: Will Amy OD on morphine, or is she going to wake up okay in the morning? Will Della go to the golf tournament or stay home and give Paul the baby he wants? Will horn-dog medical student Mike get the clap and pass it on to the entire faculty of the medical school? Will divorced and wary-of-men nurse Janice marry brilliant anesthesiologist Jeff? Will frigid Dr. Feldman find what it is to be a woman in the arms of East German refugee Dr. Dieter? Turn the page and find out!

What I wanted to know is what would have happened at Weston University Hospital if Nurse Kelsey (with her starched white nurse hat firmly pinned in place) had gone there instead of to Dalasalavia for her year abroad.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Would he get published today?
He's certainly competent. If Frank Slaughter were a writer today, he'd undoubtedly know today's conventions and styles.

Would this exact manuscript be published today?
Depends. Was it the best manuscript to hit the editor's desk that day? You'll notice that, while the rights are undoubtedly available, this book isn't currently in print.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
On Cr*p

In my (admittedly limited) experience, an awful lot of Cr*p gets published, even nowadays, maybe 70-80 percent of everything, maybe more (anybody?). So if you have a good, well-written ms with well-drawn characters and a decent plot, you're way ahead of the masses. (I hope)

:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.