Status
Not open for further replies.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
UJ, I just finished Land of Mist and Snow last week and it was fantastic. The characters, (and their individual voices), the setting, everything was great.

Why didn't it get a hardcover release? It strikes me that it could have had a more prestigious release.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I thought I would add to the discussion about re-writing an older manuscript, which is farther up the thread a couple pages.

I am presently in the process of re-writing a work which I had printed through PA at one time. I am now learning quite a bit about just how much has had to change to get the piece to its proper readability.

So far I've had to remove three entire chapters, several info-dumps, and have had to separate certain scenes into multiple scenes because of head-hopping. The overall theme of the piece seems to be rock-solid, but I wanted you all to know this has been one of the most challenging things I've ever done. To re-write this work to a good readability and a better overall story, I just wanted you all to know, has not been an easy task.

But I wanted to thank Uncle Jim and all the other posters here for your help in making me realize good writing from bad writing, and also for helping me to understand what works and what doesn't. I believe I will be able to finish the re-write, but it would not be possible without the insights I've found here on this thread, specifically.

Thank you all kindly for your help, and thank you, Uncle Jim, for starting this thread in the first place. It is a good resource, through which I am slowly learning how to better my writing.

:)

spinnerin

geek.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeofaudrey.com
After a week of reading...

I finally made it to the end of the thread, only to be completely surprised by a mention of my own project.

BrendaK, and anyone else who's curious: I'm sure I'd seen references to Yog's Law before, but I didn't realize that naming my zine "Yog's Notebook" would appear connected to anything else until someone on Making Light pointed it out. Oops. I hope this doesn't confuse too many people.

I won't be offended at all if we're a place to send work to only after trying bigger markets. This is an experiment for me, and I wanted to pay at least a small amount, even though the initial funding is my own income. I'm hoping to imitate Escape Pod and Knitty in increasing the rates after we get off the ground.

The posts here are an incredible resource. I feel inspired to actually write something myself.

Audrey

BrendaK

Registered
Reaction score
Said the Villain about the Hero...

Is the villain obsessed with the hero? In that case, the hero might be "He" all the time. The villain knows who he's thinking about.

I think I use first and last names when referring to people I'm angry at. Two words instead of one to carry the venom? Makes them seem more important (and my anger more important)?

How do you refer to an opponent when you're not face to face with him? Say, the coach of the other sports team. Or the nasty guy in the other department at work.

FWIW.

Brenda Kalt

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I won't be offended at all if we're a place to send work to only after trying bigger markets. This is an experiment for me, and I wanted to pay at least a small amount, even though the initial funding is my own income. I'm hoping to imitate Escape Pod and Knitty in increasing the rates after we get off the ground.

I've received about three rejections for this story, but I'm in the process of polishing the MS after rewriting the ending, which gives the story so much more punch. I'm going to send it out to Cemetery Dance first, but I wouldn't be complaining if my first sale went to your mag. We can help each other get off the ground.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'm going to port in some posts I made in another thread, because I think they can be of general interest. Folks who want to see 'em in context are invited to do so.

=============

I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess what was going on from the OP's post.

Wizardry was a series of computer role-playing games from Sirtech. These date back to Apple II days. Their last game, Wizardry 8, came out for the PC in 2001. (Their website http://www.sir-tech.com/ hasn't been updated in some years.)

The OP apparently wrote a trilogy using characters and situations from this game series (essentially, fan fiction), then contacted the copyright holder in an attempt to sell it to them. Discussion with Sirtech, however, did not prove fruitful.

Some time later, Sirtech sold the rights to Wizardry to another company. This second company is interested in publishing the novels (even though they may never have published anything in their lives). One possible point of difficulty might be that while this second company bought the rights to the Wizardry games themselves, it's unclear if they bought the right to make derivative works (which a series of novels would be).

It strikes me that that's a problem for the second company and their lawyers to hash out with Sirtech and their lawyers, and of little concern to the author. If they get the right to make derivative works, well and good. If not, no sale, everyone moves on to other projects.

Other points of contention might revolve around characters and situations. The characters and situations that come directly from the game are clearly the property of the copyright holder. The original characters and situations that the OP created, however ... the author would want to keep the rights to them, while the game company would want to acquire those rights (this would simplify their lives in case they ever wanted to make more games in the series and might want to use those characters and situations (or ones similar enough to arguably be them). It would also simplify their lives if someone wanted to make a movie out of the games, and use the books as a source.

I can see where a lawyer might get involved in all this (though an agent working on commission rather than a lawyer might be a better choice for the author).

I could be entirely out to lunch on all this -- it's pure speculation based on the clues in the OP's message.

Now some personal notes. I've done a bunch of tie-in work. The usual thing is for the copyright holder to approach the author with the idea for the novel, and negotiate from that point. The work is usually work-for-hire (though if you have a decent agent you can get profit participation in the book sales). The contract will spell out in nauseating detail exactly what rights are in play (and if you can get away without the copyright holder getting all rights, you're doing very well indeed).

Another personal note: Going with a game company as a publisher is a path strewn with landmines. Going with a first-time publisher is a path entangled with barbed wire. Going with a first-time publisher that's also a game company is a path that's mined, entangled with barbed wire, and under sporadic artillery fire. It's way easy to get hurt.

I really don't know enough about the OP's present situation to give any useful advice. A bit of clarification would be very handy. (Particularly what's meant by "option" in this case.)
================

I'd say, find an agent.

If the agent can get a $12,000 advance (which isn't out of the ballpark for three books), it'll still cost the same $1,800, but it'll be painless (and after the sale).

All the money that comes in from the book goes from the publisher to the agent, the agent subtracts 15% (or whatever the agreed-upon commission is) and passes on the rest.

There's a list of Science Fiction/Fantasy agents here:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42019

There's another list here:
http://www.sfwriter.com/agent.htm

As always, research, research, research any agent on any list you find.

If you already have an agreement in principle with the owners of the Wizardry copyrights that they will buy these books, you shouldn't have any trouble interesting an agent in representing you.
================

The way I see it, the big problem is that there's exactly one company on the face of the earth that can legally publish this trilogy.

(That's one of the reasons why writing fan fiction is a bad idea.)

The first company wasn't interested.

Now the second company potentially is.

Let's say that the second company has the right to make derivative works.

Let's say that they are interested in publishing these books. Let's say that they've never published anything, aren't clear on how to go about it, and have never seen a publishing contract.

One of the things that they can do is call up a regular publisher on the phone and say, "Hi, this is Game Company X. We want to publish some books based on our games! How about you edit, print, and distribute them?" The publisher will say "Sure!" and their lawyers will work something out. (To my direct knowledge, Roc, Warner, and Tor have all published books on exactly this basis for various game companies. I'm sure they have boilerplate contracts on file to cover the situation.)

Now the usual thing is for the publisher to come up with the contract, offer it, and the author either accept or not accept that contract. (Having the author coming up with the contract is ... bizarre. I think that derives from this being a first-time author dealing with a first-time publisher.)

Generally the first contract that the publisher offers has some clauses in it that aren't too favorable to the author, so the agent works things out. Generally, the agent's major weapon ("Well, if we can't come to an agreement, I can take this manuscript elsewhere") has vanished, since there is only one company that can possibly publish the book, and the company is well aware of that fact.

Three options right now:

a) Get an agent who will work on commission to hammer out the deal with the company that now owns the rights.

b) File off the serial numbers and attempt to sell the re-written work to another publisher.

c) Forget this trilogy. Move on and write another novel.

No matter what else you do, you'll want to move on and write another novel in any case ... so start doing that while searching for an agent.

(Or: Look, I can write you a contract for free. Here goes:

[Author] grants all rights in [Name of Work] to [Name of Company] for the full term of copyright in return for $20,000 paid on signing. [Company] agrees that [Author] will be identified as the author of [Work] on the cover, title page, and in any promotional materials when/if the Work is published.

Signed: [Author]
Signed: [Company]
[Date]

There, that wasn't so tough, was it? They'll come back with "$20,000! Are you smoking something?" and offer $10,000. You'll say, "Do you wish my children to be beggars? $15,000!" They agree to it, you both sign. It's a lousy contract from the author's point of view, but it does bring closure to the whole affair. And you do get a professional publishing credit.)

Seriously, get an agent. And write a new, different, better book while you're looking.
========================

Wow. Crossposted again.

Please be aware that if you don't come to an agreement with Company B, that publishing the works on your website is still publishing, and is a copyright and/or trademark violation. If Company B wants to be complete dicks about it, they can shut you and your website down and make your life exceedingly unpleasant. Since they know about you and this work ... the odds of their finding out about web self-publication are pretty good. That may require them to Do Something about it.

Since you know Ms. Duane, why not take her out, buy her a beer, and ask her what she advises at this juncture?
==================

Reading more about Sir-Tech (the original company that created Wizardry) -- they're apparently bankrupt. Which means that their various rights (including the right to make derivative works) are assets controlled by a bankruptcy court until they can be sold to pay off the company's debts, adding yet another layer of mess to an already messy situation. Resolving something like that can take years even with all the good-will in the world. (Horrible things have happened to authors whose books were bought by publishers who've gone bankrupt.)

This discussion has rambled a long way from Paul S. Levine's lousy phone manners. Perhaps it should be moved to the Ask The Agent forum?
================

Oh -- one more thing. One of the reasons I caution about publishing books with a game company is that "doesn't know what it's doing" is pretty much Standard Operating Procedure.

Bottom line: no matter what happens, The Author Writes a Check is not an option. If you reach that point, you're at a dead end. Back up and try another path.
===================

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
(Horrible things have happened to authors whose books were bought by publishers who've gone bankrupt.)
Please explain. I can't imagine anything other than the work (and its derivatives) being locked up in legal purgatory.

Well, I guess that can be pretty bad, can't it?

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
Please explain. I can't imagine anything other than the work (and its derivatives) being locked up in legal purgatory.

Well, I guess that can be pretty bad, can't it?

Imagine Tolkien's ring trilogy never getting off the ground. Or perhaps a deries character like Dirk Pitt getting tangled up in legal woes. Even if just the first book of Harry Potter got eaten up.

Considering some major authors have a single character that really makes their career, this could be devastating.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
That is why you have a clause in any contract specifying that if any rights accrue to the publisher, those rights revert to author on any form of liquidation/bankruptcy on the part of publisher.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
That is why you have a clause in any contract specifying that if any rights accrue to the publisher, those rights revert to author on any form of liquidation/bankruptcy on the part of publisher.

That doesn't mean, though, that the book wouldn't be legally tied up for some time, depending on what happens during the bankruptcy.

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
You might have to forget that particular publisher, but you just pull it back instantly. Get your lawyers to do it. It should be straightforward.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Alas, that clause, while it is a standard part of every publishing contract, is worthless.

A publisher's publishing rights to works make up the bulk of their assets, and a company in bankruptcy simply can't give away its assets. The publishing rights might wind up in the hands of a third party which is not bound by the original contract with the author, with very bad results (from the author's point of view).

Consider a non-book example: Company A rents its office furniture from Company B. Company A goes bankrupt. That office furniture might get sold at auction to satisfy Company A's debts -- and the only chance Company B might have to get its furniture back would be to bid on it.

Also: as far as any money the publisher might owe to the author, the author is an unsecured creditor. All of the secured creditors stand in line ahead of the unsecured, and the money that is left in the till or that comes from the sale of assets usually runs out long before the unsecured creditors see any.

If a company goes bankrupt while holding your publishing rights, in the best case you won't get any income from that work, and won't be able to resell it, for a period that can be measured in years. In the worst case, while you still hold the copyright, you've lost the income from that work and lost the ability to resell the work at all.

As always, if you have a legal question, ask a real lawyer. For a real-world case the answer to your particular situation is "It varies."

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Is having the rights to the English translation enough?

Hi there Uncle Jim! I need some advice, and I hope you will be able to help. I have written a novel which is set in the Middle East, and I would like to incluce an English translation of a poem written by the Arabic poet Nizar Qubbani. Quabbani is dead, and I can't find his hiers or estate. His publisher has not answered my query.

The foremost translator of his work (someone who knew him; a nice Prof at Yale) has kindly offered to translate the poem for me as a courtesy to include in my novel.

Is having the rights to the English translation enough? Do I also need the rights to the original Arabic poem?

Thanks!
Prawn

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea. He is the foremost English translator of the poet's works, and has published books of these poems. Qabbani ran his own publishing house which is defunct now after his death, so I can't find anyone else to contact.

P

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Does he possibly already have rights to the English translation of that poem?

The danger is, a second cousin twice removed may pop up from nowhere claiming to own the rights to that poem if lightning strikes and your book goes all DaVinci Code. Best to straighten out the rights-and-permissions questions now, and have 'em all in writing.

Last edited:

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Does he possibly already have rights to the English translation of that poem?

The danger is, a second cousin twice removed may pop up from nowhere claiming to own the rights to that poem if lightning strikes and your book goes all DaVinci Code. Best to straighten out the rights-and-permissions questions now, and have 'em all in writing.

He has generously consented to let me use one of his published translations, which I hope will sidestep this issue. He has offered via e-mail to let me do so free of charge. Is an e-mail enough, my dear Uncle Jim? The issue of rights to translations is bewhildering.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The exact legalities of permissions require the services of a real lawyer to untangle.

However, it is my impression that a hard-copy letter with a real signature on it is required to grant rights.

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I was about to cry Uncle!

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, that clause, while it is a standard part of every publishing contract, is worthless. I THINK IF THE CLAUSE IS TIGHT ENOUGH, YOU CAN DO IT:)

A publisher's publishing rights to works make up the bulk of their assets, and a company in bankruptcy simply can't give away its assets. THAT IS TRUE UNLESS THE ACTUAL EFFECT OF GOING INTO BANKRUPTCY TRIGGERS AN EVENT THAT IS FUNDAMENTAL TO THAT ASSET - IE THE IMMEDIATE REVERSION OF RIGHTS The publishing rights might wind up in the hands of a third party NOT IF YOUR CONTRACT DOESN'T SAY SO AND THERE'S SOMETHING LIKE A CAUTION AGAINST ANY REGISTRATION. GET IN FIRST! which is not bound by the original contract with the author THERE IS NO WAY A CONTRACT CAN BE TAKEN OVER BY ANOTHER ENTITY WHICH CAN THEN IGNORE IT. IT'S EITHER ASSIGNED ON BANKRUPTCY TO A NEW ENTITY OR NOT. BUT IT CAN'T BE IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE THE MINUTE THE BANKRUPTCY BEGINS THE AUTHOR'S RIGHTS REVERT AUTOMATICALLY. IF YOU ALSO STATE UP-FRONT IN THE CONTRACT THAT THE CONTRACT IS NOT CAPABLE OF ASSIGNMENT THEN THAT HELPS. , with very bad results (from the author's point of view).

Consider a non-book example: Company A rents its office furniture from Company B. Company A goes bankrupt. That office furniture might get sold at auction to satisfy Company A's debts -- and the only chance Company B might have to get its furniture back would be to bid on it. COMPANY A IS NOT ENTITLED TO SELL THAT FURNITURE AS IT DOES NOT OWN IT. IT IS NOT AN ASSET CAPABLE OF DISPOSAL. IT'S THEFT AND THE DIRECTORS OF THE COMPANY WILL GO TO PRISON (AT LEAST IN THE UK THEY WOULD).

Also: as far as any money the publisher might owe to the author, the author is an unsecured creditor. AGREED. PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT. All of the secured creditors stand in line ahead of the unsecured, and the money that is left in the till or that comes from the sale of assets usually runs out long before the unsecured creditors see any. AGREED.

If a company goes bankrupt while holding your publishing rights, in the best case you won't get any income from that work, and won't be able to resell it, for a period that can be measured in years. NOT IF YOU PROTECT YOURSELF UPFRONT AS ALREADY MENTIONED: IF NECESSARY SEEK A DECLARATORY JUDGMENT FROM THE COURT. In the worst case, while you still hold the copyright, you've lost the income from that work and lost the ability to resell the work at all.

As always, if you have a legal question, ask a real lawyer. AGREED. I TEMPER MY REMARKS WITH A BIG 'BEWARE!' SIGN!!!! :) For a real-world case the answer to your particular situation is "It varies."

I just hope it never happens to any of us!

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah, Hillgate -- you're in the UK. Things may well work as you've stated in the UK. I wouldn't know.

Over here, the standard "in the event of bankruptcy all rights revert to the author" clause is just flat worthless. In the event of bankruptcy the rights are assets, and the assets become the property of the court, to dispose of as they please. This happens at the instant of bankruptcy and, depending on state laws, retroactively for a period of time before the bankruptcy. That is, if the company returns your rights today, and declares bankruptcy tomorrow, those rights become the property of the court anyway.

Nor does the court transfer the contract -- the court tranfers the publication rights (the asset) without any of those details like royalties and such attached. The creditor is trying to get his money back from the publisher and cares not a fig for the writer. It really is messy, and it really is bad for the writer. I can give real-world examples of this happening.

In the example I gave of the furniture -- the managers of the company aren't disposing of the property. As you point out, they can't. The court has taken that property, and the court is disposing of it. The court can, and may well do just that.

Berry

Registered
Reaction score
In the example I gave of the furniture -- the managers of the company aren't disposing of the property. As you point out, they can't. The court has taken that property, and the court is disposing of it. The court can, and may well do just that.

And the company that actually owns the furniture is now just another creditor of the bankrupt company. The defunct company owes the furniture company either lease payments or the return of the furniture; the court will decide what, if anything, they get.

nils

Registered
Reaction score
Website
enderra.com
Hi Uncle Jim,

Just wanted to say I found this site via your thread (Google is our friend). I tried to read through the archived threads, but it's just too much information. I think what it all boils down to is:

- Outline (optional - whatever works)
- Write 2h/day, BIC method, no excuses, until reaching "the end"
- Allowed to write badly
- Outlining, research, rewriting don't count towards the 2h
- Revise until you can't stand to see it anymore
- Every word should advance character, plot, theme
- Let it age
- Revise some more
- Send to betas
- Revise some more
- Submit until Hell won't have it
- Start next project asap

Did I miss anything Truly Essential in the forty million posts I skipped? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.