Not open for further replies.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
So instead...

James D. Macdonald Oh. I've just heard that Amazon now allows folks to comment on the reviews posted there. If I catch [I said:
anyone[/I] from here commenting on reviews on your own book, I will come to your house and mock you in person. ABM, y'know?

So, if I wanted you to come for dinner and to entertain the guests, all I have to do is write a fake review for my book and then rant about how awful someone is being to me?

See you Tuesday... Hope you like Blue Cheese Chicken and Beanies and Weenies...

<sorry, I couldn't resist>

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
From another thread:

Jamesaritchie said:
There are many, many Muslim terrorists, and not writing about them out of fear of audience reaction is what writing should never be about.

"What's in the slush today?"

"A book about Muslim terrorists, a book about Muslim terrorists, a book about Muslim terrorists, and a book about terrorists who are Muslims."

"Okay, put 'em in the 'Muslim Terrorist' pile."

"Which one?"

"The one that hasn't fallen over yet. What's that in your hand?"

"A book about West Florida Separatist terrorists."

"Hey! Is it any good?"

--------------------

Allen, I'll be in Maryland around Thanksgiving. I understand Virginia isn't too far from there? (Blue Cheese Chicken is fine with me.)

Last edited:

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
James D. Macdonald said:
Allen, I'll be in Maryland around Thanksgiving. I understand Virginia isn't too far from there? (Blue Cheese Chicken is fine with me.)

Sorry, I am light years from Frederick, Md. Picking up speed!

But would love to have a cup of coffee with you after the Tums kills the blue cheese and barbecue burn....

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Mike Ford is dead. The world is a poorer place.

It is given to no man to know the day or hour.

I'm still in shock. Did anyone know this was coming? I certainly had no warning. It's kind of knocked the wind out of me today.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mike was in fragile health for a long time. Diabetes, a kidney transplant ... we all knew he was chronically ill. Still, it came as a shock. He'd posted a witty poem just the day before.

While looking for his old posts, I came across this discussion: How Books Sell. Folks who read this thread might find it interesting.

Sailor Kenshin

I am too on MSN IM! :(
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jaganshikenshin.livejournal.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Mike was in fragile health for a long time. Diabetes, a kidney transplant ... we all knew he was chronically ill. Still, it came as a shock. He'd posted a witty poem just the day before.

While looking for his old posts, I came across this discussion: How Books Sell. Folks who read this thread might find it interesting.

I'm in shock as well. Had dinner with him once, long ago, and loved his books...

Such sad news.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mike Ford on Romance, or, See! He agrees with me! I must be right!

The shortish version (and there are much, much longer ones) comes from the division of stories into didaxis, mimesis, and romance -- teaching/instruction, the representation of reality, and idealization. (Or, as I said in another book someplace, lectures, reportage, and lies.) A "romance" in this sense is an idealized story, rather than a "realistic" one. It comes from an earlier usage, meaning stories told in the vernacular (the "romance languages") rather than Latin. Most of those vernacular stories were, well, pulp yarns. Amadis de Gaul, Alonso Quejana's version of the Jack Ryan series, was in the language of everybody who could read.

Theo Neel

Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
Most of those vernacular stories were, well, pulp yarns. Amadis de Gaul, Alonso Quejana's version of the Jack Ryan series, was in the language of everybody who could read.
[/INDENT]

When Jack Ryan became president, it bumped the whole series of Jack Ryan novels
up (or down?) from "romance" to "Harlequin Romance."

Last edited:

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Harlequin's style might not be for everyone, but you have to admit they know their market. Their readers want a certain formula and that's exactly what Harlequin gives them.

I don't think I could even hazard a guess at how many books they sell world-wide in a year.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Bardskye,

I agree, Harlequin is a master at marketing.

According to their website, Harlequin Enterprises Ltd sold 131 million books in 2005 (5.22 billlion since it's inception). Harlequin titles have also appeared on the NYT bestseller lists for 188 weeks in 2005.

Them's alot of books.

Theo Neel

Registered
Reaction score
Without a doubt, there's a lot to be said for companies that produce saleable product and that's what Harlequin does.

Just as Clancy's books are so much product for Jack Ryan fans -- predictable and formulaic, but the fans love 'em. When the fans loved them, they sell best.

SeanDSchaffer

James D. Macdonald said:
I'm off to Martha's Vineyard in the morning. Keep the thread warm for me while I'm away....

Have a safe trip, Uncle Jim....and I hope you have a fun time.

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
It's a beautiful but chilly day in Massachusetts. The most sensitive leaves are starting to change color. The Vineyard and the ferry ride there will be beautiful and bracing.

Have a mulled cider, if you can, UJ, and a great time!

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Ok, I realize now I have a problem with subplots. How do I create them? Why are they useful? Why should I include them?

Status
Not open for further replies.