Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Back to Rambling's question:

It's perfectly fine to have subplots that don't advance the main plot -- provided they support the theme (either by directly supporting it, by comparing, by contrasting, by illustrating, or otherwise commenting on the theme.)

Everything needs to support the theme, advance the plot, or reveal character.

Rambling

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll postpone worrying about whether a subplot 'fits' until revising then - at least until my inner editor is better trained :)

MasterRegal

Registered
Reaction score
Two format question:

1. Do I put my pseudonym on the running header of every page in the manuscript, or do I put my real name?

2. How do you format subchapters? For example, I have Chapter One, and within this chapter I have I, II, III etc. I know I start in the middle of the page to start a new chapter, but how do I format the subchapters? Do I double space and continue?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
MasterRegal said:
Two format question:

1. Do I put my pseudonym on the running header of every page in the manuscript, or do I put my real name?

Your choice. I'd use my real name, but it really doesn't matter.
2. How do you format subchapters? For example, I have Chapter One, and within this chapter I have I, II, III etc. I know I start in the middle of the page to start a new chapter, but how do I format the subchapters? Do I double space and continue?

Skip a line, center your sub-chapter heading, skip a line, continue.

Lady of Prose

Member - the "Sting Gang."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jim,

Unless specified otherwise, is the rule of thumb for chapter breaks still new page, center? I've been seeing some variations here and there. I recently saw double space, including chapter break.

Now, I'm faced with a challenge. The submission guideline I'm formatting says to send along with the query a two page "detailed" synopsis of my MS.. They emphasize--"not an outline", but a synopsis. I plan on present tense narrative to do so. Am I correct in that assumption?

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't seen it, Lady, Miss Snark rips through dozens of synopses on her blog here and here. An excellent resource, I think, to see what's right and what's wrong about syopses.

Lady of Prose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OH, AJ! Thank you so much for that reminder. I had bookmarked her "crapometer" for future reading and forgot about it. Yes, you are correct--excellent resource.:)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lady of Prose said:
Jim,

Unless specified otherwise, is the rule of thumb for chapter breaks still new page, center? I've been seeing some variations here and there. I recently saw double space, including chapter break.

New page, start the chapter half-way down the page. Center the chapter title or number, doublespace, indent, and type.

Now, I'm faced with a challenge. The submission guideline I'm formatting says to send along with the query a two page "detailed" synopsis of my MS.. They emphasize--"not an outline", but a synopsis. I plan on present tense narrative to do so. Am I correct in that assumption?

Present tense narrative, single spaced. Times Roman is acceptable. Think of how you'd tell your friend about a really good movie you saw last night. Put in the major plot highpoints and the surprise climax. The question they want answered is "Does this writer have a complete story with beginning, middle, and end?

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about scene breaks, U.J.?

I am currently doing this:

The sun touched the horizon and seemed to set the field ablaze.

The sun rose above the mountains to warm our backs as we continued our trek west.

Which, is the last line, space, scene break, one space, first line next scene.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ken,

A scene break is done with a blank line, which is marked with a #.

The sun touched the horizon and seemed to set the field ablaze.
#
The sun rose above the mountains to warm our backs as we continued our trek west.

Lady of Prose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen guidelines and/or instructions that said 1-3 hash marks or asterisks and always centered.

Last edited:

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Hey, it's good to see this thread back on page one where it belongs.

I had time off over the holidays and my B was In my C almost full time. What a feeling! I admit I didn't do the assignment. I didn't want to spend time away from my WIP. I can think of more acronyms, but can't stand too many.

I, too, need to know about hash marks. Centered, yes. Just one? Three? Does it matter, Uncle Jim?

Berry

Registered
Reaction score
aertep said:
I, too, need to know about hash marks. Centered, yes. Just one? Three? Does it matter, Uncle Jim?

I'm not Uncle Jim but I can guess what he'll say: No, it doesn't really matter, because if you have an exciting plot with engaging characters told in a compelling way, by the time the reader -- agent, editor, or whomever -- reaches your first scene break they'll be so engrossed in the story they won't care if you have one or three or a dozen hash marks.

On the other hand, if you have a trite story with cardboard cutout characters and leaden prose, even perfect formatting won't save it.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Just one. The hash mark is a typesetter's mark for blank line. Just use one #. Make it easy for the editor and the typesetter (when it goes to production). Besides, it saves you ink and word count. ;)

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Petrea good to see you back. B in the C will get you an A, for writing.

Time off? Switch agents.
icon10.gif

Ken

Lady of Prose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are some of the chief complaints from editors relating to scene change? This is something I'm struggling with somewhat. Or, what is a good rule of thumb to follow?

I'm not talking about the obvious--morning to night, etc.. I'm speaking of instances where perhaps there are flashback scenes or memories, then you return to the original scene. Should it be that a scene change is just that, no matter the length or time? Or do we stay with the current setting?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Chief complaints from editors?

Dunno. If I were guessing: "Clumsily done. Threw me out of the story" would be the worst complaint about scene shifts.

This is an art. If it works, it's right. Your readers will tell you if it works.

(And Berry -- you have learned well. Now you are the master.)

Lady of Prose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
This is an art. If it works, it's right. Your readers will tell you if it works.

Okay--thanks. I understand what you are saying, and I'm now comfortable with what I'm doing.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
James D. Macdonald said:
The workshop organizers usually send the first batch of submissions to the instructors in mid-March, then every month thereafter until we've filled the class.

We look at the submissions as: Obvious Invite, Let's Wait a Bit, and I Don't Think So. We keep going like that until we've filled the class.
What do the relative proportions of those three piles tend to be?
-Barbara (just curious. Really.)

Status
Not open for further replies.