Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neversage

Part of the Scenery
Registered
Reaction score
Ever have one of those moments where something clicks and you realize anew how much of an art this is? As a writer, I think I live for those moments.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Ever have one of those moments where something clicks and you realize anew how much of an art this is? As a writer, I think I live for those moments.

Yes, all the time, even when rewriting/editing. They're great, aren't they?

Neversage

Part of the Scenery
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I just had one of those moments where the words just flow so naturally that it's like you are reading a book that is already written as you write it.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Yes! I just had one of those moments where the words just flow so naturally that it's like you are reading a book that is already written as you write it.

Don't be too surprised - or disappointed - if that same passage finishes up on the cutting room floor!

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Can't remember which book, but I found this in a passage of dialogue:

"..."

Any opinions about this sort of thing? I would have said:

I said nothing or
I gave no reply or something.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

"..."

I said nothing or

I wouldn't have done it like that, but it's possible the author meant it to be an indication of a sigh or something else that was verbal but not a word. I just write it out. "Huu," or "Egh," when my characters make noises but some people are anti-"sound effect".

Also. It might be a typo. Perhaps something was meant to be inserted there and never got put in. Maybe. *shrugs*

SilverPhoenix

Revisions, revisions, revisions
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it was a style thing. It's common in anime/manga/comics. I think I saw it once in a really teen-y book.

I'm not a fan of sound-effects. Reading 'Egh' would probably make me laugh.

Neversage

Part of the Scenery
Registered
Reaction score

"..."

I said nothing or

I usually just put something like:
Frank stared at Jim, wanting to speak, but unable to make any words.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I use "..." all the time.

Though, I also recognize that I use it because I am a highly uneducated writer. Call it part of my word vomit.

I was taught years ago that "..." can indicate a lengthier pause, or voice trailing off, or when a train of thought is broken by the narrator to switch to something else, or when someone is "cut off" during speaking. I was also told that it should be used when you don't want to take away from the other words on the page. I think maybe my creative writing teacher was on crack. Regardless, I listened too carefully and became hopelessly addicted.

Now it automatically pops in whenever I write. I know it's bad form, so I usually edit them all out. You will see them a ton though in my first drafts... I just can't seem to help throwing them in ;)

ETA: I'm anal so I looked it up. For additional information, read ye: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Last edited:

jinap

Aspiring Tree-Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

"..."

I said nothing or

Maybe it's for comic effect? I've seen this before and it makes me think of the *crickets chirp* where the silence is highlighted for comic effect.

OFF/NEW TOPIC: I just discovered some stories I wrote in high school and read through them... and they were good. Surprisingly so. In fact, better than some of my more recent writing attempts and I know the reason why: back then I read and wrote a lot more. I'm rusty.

It's both heartening (hey, I've got the goods!) and disheartening (oh, how I need to get back into writing regularly!) because the difference is really obvious.

I know most people look back at their old attempts and laugh at how bad they were and see how much they've improved since then, but have you ever experienced the opposite? After being away from writing for a while, do you ever look back and see that your writing then is better than your writing now?

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I would have interpreted it as a lengthy pause, but agree, there are many ways to express it better.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
There may be many ways to express it, but none of them are "wrong" so long as you're consistent and the reader isn't confused.

As to older writing being better, that's one of the reasons I suggest you age your current effort in a desk drawer for a few months before editing it. You'd be surprised how much leaving it aside for a bit improves the writing.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I'm reading FRANCIS CLIFFORD (1917-1975). If you're writing/reading thrillers, I couldn't recommend anyone better. Fantastic. Simple, strong plots, great prose.

jinap

Aspiring Tree-Killer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the advice Uncle Jim - it's easier for me to just go ahead and keep writing, knowing that I can always come back to polish my work.

I have some stuff I wrote at age 13 or so. All I can say is:

"..."

Don't get me wrong, my old writing is not genius by any means, but it's far better than I thought and doesn't suffer from some of the mistakes I'm making now.

It's strange: back when I didn't know about POV or other technical aspects of writing, I intuitively stuck to the rules (lots of reading I guess) whereas now that I am older and supposedly wiser, I find myself making simple mistakes that I didn't make back then.

I clearly have lots of work to do, but I'm actually excited about it.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Pulled a black vial out of what?

Death, sickness, some serious healing mojo, nefarious skullduggery... ink.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an opinion.

If you read in a story that a healer's assistant pulled out a black vial, what thoughts would come up?

Assistant took a glass vial of dark liquid from h/h pocket?

A black vial would mean that the vial was colored dark to hide what was inside.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Or, it was black because whatever was inside is light-sensitive. Or, it was black because they were all out of red vials at the store that morning. Or, it was black because black vials are a trademark of Frank Black's Soothing Syrup (one for man, two for beast, good for what ails you!) Or, it was black because that's the color-code for 5 dram vials. (10 dram vials are light blue; 15 dram vials are green.) Or, it was black because it was a sample (not for resale).

Better to ask why it's a vial rather than a phial.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
I used the black vial as a way to mark the tonic inside as being used for death.

Tobin took out from the shelf: three green vials of herbs used for infection, four brown vials of herbs used for internal parasites, and one red vial of herbs used for pain. The last one was the Black Vial. The dark container held a tonic to help patients pass from the living to the dead. After placing the vials on a tray, he gathered material to cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.