James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Good people all, d'ye know what you could do for my birthday? Order a copy of Salt and Silver by my beloved elder daughter, Katherine Juliana.

It's her first novel, and I'm intensely proud of her (for all that she hasn't allowed me to read it, and didn't mention that she'd written it until after it sold.....)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Good people all, d'ye know what you could do for my birthday? Order a copy of Salt and Silver by my beloved elder daughter, Katherine Juliana.

It's her first novel, and I'm intensely proud of her (for all that she hasn't allowed me to read it, and didn't mention that she'd written it until after it sold.....)

Hey, wow. Guess it runs in the family.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.

What a sweet dad you are! And so supportive too even when she left you out of the loop. ;) You must be so proud of her. Congrats to both of you.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Impediments aid art. Add restrictions rather than take them away.

Here is a zombie story written on a Twitter: http://cavalaxis.blogspot.com/2009/01/zombie-story-140-characters-at-time.html

The only thing that I'd change is to delete the line It was like watching a bad B movie. Because that would remind the reader that this is a bad B movie. (And has been, and will be. Thus you never have your character say "You sound like the villain in a cheap romance!" lest the readers say, "Y'know, you're right," and seek something other than a cheap romance for their reading pleasure. Nor do you have your scientist/inventor say of her invention, "It sounds like something out of science fiction, but...."

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
No, I don't think so. The characters can not be aware that they're in a work of art.

...Unless it serves the story?

In Pamela Dean's Secret Country trilogy, the well-read kid characters and up falling into another world, and keep trying to figure out how things will work there with "Well in Narnia, no time passes at home..." and such reasoning. And of course, they're wrong every time :)

Part of why that didn't make me, as a reader, more aware that I was reading a book is that -- well! The "kids falling into other world" trope is so established that it would have been weirder if these kids were not aware of it -- and also the series revolves largely around that tension between what's make-believe and what's real.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Uncle Jim,

I have a question. Yeah I know. Laugh. Anyway, would it be wrong to write: He yelled across the room "Don't go there!" Or would it be better to write: "Don't go there!" He said looking at Sam across the room. If I've confused you my question is this. Is it just better to use "said?" Instead of declared, yelled, rambled. . .

Chris Grey

Vagrant Story
Registered
Reaction score
Breaking the fourth wall is one of those things that you can make work, but there are eight and sixty very good reasons not to.

Putting a character into a fictional world (Neverending Story) isn't the same as breaking the fourth wall. "I'm in a story world" is more "I'm an intruder into this story world" and it's worked. "This world seems to behave like Narnia" works as well-- Narnia is part of the literary canon so it's not inconceivable for a story character to refer to it. Characters believing they're the main character in a story isn't too far, either. As in real life, many characters like to imagine themselves as the hero in a fairy tale, as the lead character in some wonderful story, or, if you live in the suburbs, as a cast member in a soap opera. It works when they're wrong-- they may think they're in a story, as long as they don't know it's yours. When your character believes she's in a remake of Pride & Prejudice, she'd best be wrong or your readers won't bother with your remake of Emma.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
He yelled across the room "Don't go there!" Or would it be better to write: "Don't go there!" He said looking at Sam across the room.

I'd say:

He yelled, "Don't go there!"

or maybe:

"Don't go there," he yelled.

He said looking at Sam across the room
is clumsy.

Said-words are a spice.

You wouldn't want your page to read:

"The green ones don't taste any better," Joe advised.

"In your opinion," Sam babbled. He was sorting the green M&Ms into a separate pile.

"Do you have to do that?" Joe commented. "It's crazy." The tic-tic-tic sound of M&Ms landing on the pile was the loudest sound in their apartment. It had been quiet ever since Mandy moved out.

"Crazy? Who are you calling crazy?" Sam emphasized. "I wasn't the one who spent his entire teenage years in the laughing academy."

"My parents had me committed because Dad lost his job and they couldn't afford to keep me," Joe grinned. "There wasn't anything wrong with me."

Tic! An M&M fell off the table and rolled across the floor. Sam watched it go.

"I think I'll call my Mom," Joe expressed after a moment.

"What are you going to call her?" Sam grunted.

"Don't go there," Joe yelled.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't think so. The characters can not be aware that they're in a work of art.

Unless that's the point of the whole thing (like a Jasper Fforde novel, or this new "Lost in Austen" show).

It's either a centerpiece or nothing.

My favorite is still:

"Shut up," I explained.

It's actually

Are you lost daddy I arsked tenderly.

Shut up he explained.

From The Young Immigrunts by Ring Lardner, Jr. (probably actually by Ring Lardner, Sr.--written as a parody of The Young Visiters by Daisy Ashford, which was a hit the previous year.)

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Titles can't be copyrighted.

Be sure that mentioning the titles is vital to the story; at the same time be sure that people who haven't read those works will still "get" your story.

(Or, not. I recently had a story published in which I had the protagonist reading Grimm's Deutsche Mythologie. Many of my readers would be unfamiliar with this book.)

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Are you lost daddy I arsked tenderly.

Shut up he explained.

From The Young Immigrunts by Ring Lardner, Jr. (probably actually by Ring Lardner, Sr.--written as a parody of The Young Visiters by Daisy Ashford, which was a hit the previous year.)

Why do you say this was probably by RL Snr.?

Ordered a copy of Daisy Ashford's book from Amazon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.