ChiZine short story contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Submissions through June 30th. 4000 words or less. Send 'em here, kids. I'd love to see one of my AW peeps win this one.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I entered last year and tanked. Hmmm...maybe I can come up with something while I'm sitting by the pool today.

Thinking darkly now...

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. I entered last year and tanked. Hmmm...maybe I can come up with something while I'm sitting by the pool today.

Thinking darkly now...

Gosh, I hope nothing slithers up from deep in the bowels of the pool, wraps a tentacle around your ankle, and...

Uh, hold on. I've got to go get my pencil.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Don't know if I should, cos I'm trying to put the screenplay to bed, but I do have an idea lurking....

Eudaemonic

what? why!
Registered
Reaction score
Right - will enter! Do they accept overseas entries? Am British. Do you think I could send in the thing I put in SYW horror under title 'Well I don't know' if I expanded it a bit and made it more of a story? Have never seen this mag. Guidance please?
Please someone take look and let me know? - it's very short at mo.

Cheers

daemon

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Right - will enter! Do they accept overseas entries? Am British. Do you think I could send in the thing I put in SYW horror under title 'Well I don't know' if I expanded it a bit and made it more of a story? Have never seen this mag. Guidance please?
Please someone take look and let me know? - it's very short at mo.

Cheers

daemon

I see nothing that limits entries to the US or North America, Daemon. Follow this link to the mag, where you can read several of their regular stories and get a feel for what they like. If you think your story is a match, then why not submit it? After all, what's the worst they'll say? No?

As for me, I have nothing dark enough at the moment, except for the one in my head. Somehow, I've got to find a way to get it out of my head, onto paper, and get it polished up enough to submit in about 3 weeks. That's way fast for me, but I'm gonna try like hell.

Good luck to you.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Eudae,
I don't think that there are restrictions when it comes to location. The founder, Brett A. Savory, is from Canada.

Haggis,
I was thinking about just submitting to the regular chizine, but I may enter the contest as well. I see that you're going to write something. I have to finish up my short story and edit it, so we'll see. Good luck! ;)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Thanks for the prompt you lovely demonic doggie! I had a story that I couldn't figure out what to do with. THis might be just the ticket!

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
I've been agonizing over which piece to submit...
My husband says to go with Midnight Snack. There it is then. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

eeeeek!

ETA: It's done. I hope I sent the right one!

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I've been agonizing over which piece to submit...
My husband says to go with Midnight Snack. There it is then. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

eeeeek!

ETA: It's done. I hope I sent the right one!

I sent what I had. I don't think it's dark enough, but like you say, what the hell...

Good luck, Foinah. And good luck to all who entered.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent one off. Then I wrote one last week that was probably better than the one I just sent.

Oh well.

Next year.

Good luck Haggis and Foinah! Who else entered? Pike? Horrorwriter? Daemon? Fess up and we can all obsess together. I promise not to infect others with the dreadful Hello Kitty virus.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Contest results are in

Here.

*scrolls frantically through list of winners*

Hmmm. It seems as though I'm not listed. Perhaps they're saving my story for something more important. :rolleyes:

Anyone here make it?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I failed to enter. Sorry about your loss, Haggis, but I eventually sold the piece they rejected (or, non-responded to) last year. So send that baby out elsewhere!

I'm suprised they get so few entries. 210? Heck, Miss Snark could get 700 entries in 24 hours. I miss her.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I failed to enter. Sorry about your loss, Haggis, but I eventually sold the piece they rejected (or, non-responded to) last year. So send that baby out elsewhere!

I'm suprised they get so few entries. 210? Heck, Miss Snark could get 700 entries in 24 hours. I miss her.

I know what you mean. Those aren't bad odds at all. I'll try to be ready with a more appropriate story next time. In the meantime, the one I did submit is getting sent back out as soon as I find the right home for it.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not listed either. Too bad. I've already found another market to submit my story to in September. Oh well.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FYI: As for all the other people who didn't enter the contest (*cough*cough*), ChiZine re-opens for regular fiction subs on September 1st. Same 4,000-word maximum and 7 cents/word pay rate. Almost the exact same thing but with no free books.

Status
Not open for further replies.