• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

New Harbinger Publications

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Has anyone had any experience working with New Harbinger? I have referred many counseling clients to their self-help books and have found them quite useful as an adjunct to therapy. I could only find one reference to them on AW and it is a referral to their site for books trather than an endorsement of working with them. Any experiences to share?

(If this is posted in the wrong place let me know or mods, please move it, but I scoured this site and could find nothing on them.)

Bealeblast

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishersmarketplace.com
dealt with New Harbinger

I forget her last name ... it was last fall and she's the acquisitions director. She requested my memoir, which I submitted and she eventually passed on it. One thing that's a bit different from other pubs is they request not the usual two chapters but five or six. One other not so helpful aspect of the transaction was no feedback about why rejected. I think they have a very particular way of viewing memoir that is self help prescriptive as well as memoir, so I would recommend trying to really nail down that formula before sending anything to them...

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I've dealt with them, and they seem to be very professional and very respectful. I agree about nailing the formula for them, they passed on a guidebook I pitched them but gave me good advice about it for later.

pollykahl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pollykahl.com
Thanks. They've asked me to submit some chapters and an annotated outline of a book I half wrote a few years ago. It's a self help book on a therapeutic technique I developed in my private practice. This is the last thing I expected to happen since I am immersed in my memoir. They were very nice on the phone and via emails and I am going to do my best to work with them on this self-help book.