Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: New Harbinger Publications

practical experience, FTW pollykahl's Avatar

New Harbinger Publications

Has anyone had any experience working with New Harbinger? I have referred many counseling clients to their self-help books and have found them quite useful as an adjunct to therapy. I could only find one reference to them on AW and it is a referral to their site for books trather than an endorsement of working with them. Any experiences to share?

(If this is posted in the wrong place let me know or mods, please move it, but I scoured this site and could find nothing on them.)

dealt with New Harbinger

I forget her last name ... it was last fall and she's the acquisitions director. She requested my memoir, which I submitted and she eventually passed on it. One thing that's a bit different from other pubs is they request not the usual two chapters but five or six. One other not so helpful aspect of the transaction was no feedback about why rejected. I think they have a very particular way of viewing memoir that is self help prescriptive as well as memoir, so I would recommend trying to really nail down that formula before sending anything to them...

I've dealt with them, and they seem to be very professional and very respectful. I agree about nailing the formula for them, they passed on a guidebook I pitched them but gave me good advice about it for later.

practical experience, FTW pollykahl's Avatar
    Thanks. They've asked me to submit some chapters and an annotated outline of a book I half wrote a few years ago. It's a self help book on a therapeutic technique I developed in my private practice. This is the last thing I expected to happen since I am immersed in my memoir. They were very nice on the phone and via emails and I am going to do my best to work with them on this self-help book.
    -memoir Borderline Love~ DONE!
    -autobio short stories 20,000/70,000

Recovery Reconnaissance Blog
    My Web Page

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

does anyone know if this place is good and if their books actually sell?