• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Damaris Rowland Agency

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone here have personal experience with the Damaris Rowland Agency, specifically Andrew King?

I snail mailed a query and synopsis a couple of weeks ago, and just got an email request for a partial. I addressed my query to Damaris Rowland, and it was Andrew King who replied and requested material.

I looked in the index and didn't see a thread about this agency.

Two requests in one day--woo hoo!!

MKL1025

Registered
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me. I snail mailed a query and a month later received an email from an Andrew King, on behalf of Damaris Rowland, asking I send my full to an address not listed as the agency's on Agent Query. I didn't actually end up sending them anything because I had already signed with my agent at the time.

Good luck!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks MKL1025.:)

Yes, same here where the address he is requesting I send the partial to is different than the one I sent the query and synopses to.

Anyone else know anything?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Just my thought, why not give the company a call and find out 1. who this person is and if he is just an asst. and 2. why the different mailing address.

I don't think anyone would be offended by this.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Cactus Wendy. :)

Does anyone else have thoughts on this? It feels a bit weird to me that the address I was told to send the partial to is different from the agency's address, and looking back at the email that was sent to me, Damaris Rowland Agency is not part of the email address. :Shrug:

Would it mark me an amateur to call? Or am I just obsessing?

Has anyone else had contact with this agency?

Thanks

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Bump--for current info, if anyone has it, please :)

I mailed it out on faith, and now I'm waiting.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the link, Chumplet, I appreciate the effort. :D

Weird stuff there. I did double check P&E before sending the query and again after getting the request for the partial, so who knows?

For the moment, I think I'll just imagine a long gone intern. La la la la la la la...Where's my ostrich avatar?;)

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I just received a request for 50 pages to Andrew King (he says he's a reader for Damaris Rowland) in Brooklyn. I'm going to go ahead and do it, but I understand the weirdness factor. I'm sending this tomorrow so if any of you can chime in with more info before that let me know. Thanks!

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Sorry I didn't see this before or I would have chimed in sooner.

Andrew works from his home. When I queried in June 2007 his reply email to me advised that I'd be shipping to his home address. I work from home myself, and so do thousands of my colleagues (I work in Corporate America) so it didn't seem odd to me and still doesn't. He may not be telling people that because, well, not everyone takes "not for us" with grace and style.

The agency has a good reputation with the RWA, and Andrew was prompt and polite in his correspondence with me. They passed (on my historical), but were complimentary about it.

For those wondering about timeline --

I queried in June 2007
Received a request for the first 50 pages in August 2007
Received a handwritten and pleasant rejection less than 2 weeks after I'd mailed the packet

I would send and not consider it weird -- with gas at $4, we mobile workers think it's weird that the rest of you insist on going into offices to work. ;-D

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Jeanne,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I work from home, too, and while some times I feel "trapped" here, I'd rather save the $$$ in gas!

I'm sending the first 50 pages today (after a bit of a tweak) and I'll post with the results. Two weeks turn around on a partial sounds great!

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Yes, and good luck! I'm more than thrilled with the agent I landed, but I would have been very happy to have been repped by this firm, so keeping fingers crossed for you!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
To follow up -

One week turn around on the partial. Andrew King passed with a "your writing is good, but the project is not right for us at this time." Hey - I'll take the compliment! Good luck to everyone else!!

NVS

Registered
Reaction score
The email address I have for this agency is a no-go. Would anyone who has posted on this thread be willing to PM me an address they know works?
Many thanks,
NVS

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
Is this a form rejection from Andrew King? My guess is it is.

"I think you write well, but this isn't quite right for us. Best of luck placing it elsewhere."

I have to say that that was a speedy rejection on a request.
He did keep my SASE, however. :rant: I hate when agents do that! It's happened to me a few times.

newgreekwriter

Never listens.
Registered
Reaction score
Any updated information on this agency? I received a handwritten request for a full around July and I sent it in September (moved overseas..blah blah)

But I haven't received a reply. O_O

LisaLRegan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisaregan.com
Sent my Manuscript, never heard back

In March 2009 I queried Damaris Rowland. In August 2009 I got my query back with a handwritten note in the upper right hand corner asking me to send my full manuscript by post to the attention of Krista Antonson which I did. To this day I have not heard anything from this agency. I wrote a letter every three months to check in--asking for the status of my submission--but have not heard back. I am just writing this off as a rejection. But the whole thing was very odd.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have recent info on this agency? There is a website, but part of it appears to be under construction, and I can't really tell whether this is still an agency or whether it has changed into a service to assist with editing and self-publishing.

ETA: http://thedamarisrowlandagency.com/index.php/home

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever it was, it's gone now, and I'm not finding any further activity for Rowland or King.