• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bouncing Ball Books

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I just checked to see if my title was in Bookmaster's stock--it isn't. Is it possible that they are not the distributor for BBB?
I just checked Ingram iPage, and Bookmasters is listed as being the distributor for your publisher, giving the impression that they also rep your title. You have 0 stock and 12 on backorder. Not sure what else to tell you. Best to ask your publisher. I do know some distributors will only take certain titles - it's all how the contract is negotiated. For instance, they may not touch the backlist and only take the upcoming titles. I, um, wouldn't worry about that being the case here.

cklaurence

SuspenseWriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.miamidemons.com
I am not sure that Bookmasters is repping BBB. I know Baker & Taylor had around 100 back orders for DEMONS as of mid-November when the book was supposed to be released--and they were supposed to be handling the back orders. Bookworld was the distributor, but as I guess everyone knows, it closed the doors without any prior notice to its publishers end of October or beginning of November. I know that whoever has the account now has sales reps that are selling BBB's titles. DEMONS, without the media release having gone out, has been pre-ordered at Amazon and a a number have sold at my website, which is only up since the end of November.
I will find out for sure who is repping BBB. I appreciate all the input from the veterans here on Water Cooler. You're all terrific and I thank you. c.k.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Spoke with BBB--the distributor is MB&B, Inc. (Music, Books & Business)--
musicbooksbusiness.com

That website is really, really messed up technically. If these were my distributors, I'd be concerned that they fell under the "well-meaning but incompetent" category.

Hope things work out for you and your book. I'd personally be suspicious of a long string of "dog ate the homework" stories from my publisher, but sometimes the dog really does eat the homework. I guess time will tell.

cklaurence

SuspenseWriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.miamidemons.com
Dog eating homwork...

I don't remember saying anything about "dog eating homework" stories from my publisher. In fact, my publisher has been honest about everything with me--from signing the contract through today.
It is common knowledge throughout the industry that Bookworld, which was, I believe, the third largest distributor, closed its doors unexpectedly with no notice to its publishers or book stores. BBB immediately found a new distributor and from what I understand, it has been updating databases, and taking care of business. If it does not work out, then I'm sure a new distributor will be secured.
While I appreciate all the cautionary posts from those of you who are published and well-established, the fact is that this is my first novel and I signed with a small publisher that informed me thoroughly on the circumstances of dealing with a small publisher vs. a large one. I spoke with several other authors who have written more than one book, all published by BBB, who were extremely happy with the quality of the books and their own relationship with the publisher. As I have said, BBB has given everything promised and more. I hope my good fortune continues, but I've found pretty much everything in life is somewhat of a "crap shoot," and in the mean time, I"m enjoying the ride.
I will keep you posted as the process continues and hopefully, share my success with you. Again, check out my website: www.miamidemons.com; if you are interested, I would love for you to read my novel (a short excerpt is on my website, however, Amazon has much larger pieces of it on its dot com). Let me know your thoughts, c.k.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Spoke with BBB--the distributor is MB&B, Inc. (Music, Books & Business)--
musicbooksbusiness.com (I believe).
Music, Books & Business Inc. appears to be a wholesaler, rather than a distributor, although it's difficult to tell from the small amount of info at the website.

- Victoria

cklaurence

SuspenseWriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.miamidemons.com
Well, they seem to be distributing my books--so I'm not going to worry about it. I can't do much about it at this point anyway. I believe they are fairly new so perhaps they haven't got the website where they want it yet. Time will tell.

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how well respected Bookworld was as a distributor, and what, if anything, this might say about BBB?

In otherwords, could just about anyone sign up with Bookword, or were there certain criteria that excluded the well intended but generally incompetent?

cklaurence

SuspenseWriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.miamidemons.com
Does anyone understand that I have had NO problems with BBB. Everything they represented to me has come to pass. Bookworld was #3 distributor in the country--BBB could not have foreseen its closing. Why does it seem that it has become an issue with everyone here looking to knock my publisher? It's not as though anyone has anything definitive to say at this point--there just seem to be calls for someone to come up with something definitely wrong. Is it not possible that BBB is taking care of its authors and doing the best they are able? It is a small, three-year-old house--it is not one of the giants. Believe me, if they do anything to hurt me, this board will be the first place to know.

cklaurence

SuspenseWriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.miamidemons.com
Thank you, Victoria. BBB picked up all its books from the Bookworld warehouse. It chose not to go with Bookmasters. BBB lost whatever was owed to it by BW, but fortunately was able to recover the remaining books. c.k.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Does anyone know how well respected Bookworld was as a distributor, and what, if anything, this might say about BBB?

In otherwords, could just about anyone sign up with Bookword, or were there certain criteria that excluded the well intended but generally incompetent?
I know nothing about BBB. However, I do know that Bookworld was was a distributor that took on anybody. As long as you had an ISBN and $100.00 they'd list you. So, as you can see, there was no criteria.

Bookmasters, from what I've been told isn't too dissimilar.
They're okay for publishers who don't want to pay a deposit to a notable distributor. They have some good books, but a majority of the books they distribute fit in with the IUniverse, Booksurge, and the Bookworld categories.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Ck, no-one is doubting your word, and no-one wishes you or your publisher ill, it's just that, now that you've brought BBB to our attention, as other authors we're naturally curious as to whether or not we might sub them... this kind of conversation/research is what we all do to suss out a potential publisher . It's not personal, and if there are only good things to find out about BBB then it will be to their benefit, surely?

cklaurence

SuspenseWriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.miamidemons.com
Funny....

But it sure feels like everyone is attacking here...I signed with BBB and I have told you I have not been disappointed thusfar; however, everyone has told me why I should be questioning every move BBB has made. I responsded to a post here because I found it contrary to what I have learned from being a client of BBB's; meanwhile, everyone onboard has tried to discredit my author and any distributors it has been associated with. Just like authors, publishing houses have to start somewhere--Ingraham does not take on every publisher that has authors worthy of being promoted. Bookworld screwed many pubiishers over. Meanwhile, all I did was post that BBB had been true to everything they told and in return I got a ton of doubters that questioned BBB's motives.
Take a step back. I'm telling you that BBB has been honest and stood by the promises they made to me as a first-time author. Maybe BBB is going to stand behind its word...if it doesn't, you can all have the last word, if that is what you are looking for--meanwhile, I am quite satisfied with what has been presented and acted upon. c.k.

cklaurence

SuspenseWriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.miamidemons.com
By the by: How many times do I have to certify that BBB has yet to fail me in one of its promises. So far, I am thrilled. I am published, I am at major bookstores and I am seeing results--is there something more a first-time author needs?

cklaurence

SuspenseWriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.miamidemons.com
Actually, I'm starting to wonder--is this a site for support and info--or is it a place for those who are not satisfied with their work or their sales to attack those who are feeling good about themselves? Really, folks, we are all in this together...