I like The Brotherhood of the Rose by David Morrell :e2paperba

Susan Flemming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanflemming.com
Canadian books & Authors I love...

* Gail Bowen's Joanne Kilbourne novels

I discovered Gail Bowen years ago but haven't been able to get her books since moving to the States. But I got to rediscover her when my oldest daughter gave me a signed copy of Gail Bowen's, The Endless Knot for Mother's Day. I highly recommend it, if you don't already have it.

What Canadian writers and/or books do you love? :)

Anything by Welwyn Wilton Katz but especially Whalesinger and Come Like Shadows. Her books always go on my "keeper" bookshelf.

Monica Hughes is another favourite. We have several of her books on our keeper bookshelf, as well.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I'd love for him to be Canadian, but he was born in New Hampshire and all his books have been published by American houses. He married a Canadian, but he is an American writer, and one of my favourites. :)

Random House bio
Another thing I've learned. I was always under the assumption that he was born in Canada. I know he lives in both places now. Thanks for the clarification. :D

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
If you don't mind reading YA books, William Bell's "Forbidden City" is fantastic. Sadly, his other books (at least, the ones I've read) don't live up to it.

I also reccomend "The Blind Assassin" and "Rockbound."

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
No one has mentioned "Cat's Eye" by Atwood or "The Robber Bride" by Atwood?
My God I LOVE "Cat's Eye" I've probably read that more times than any other book except Wuthering Heights"

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I interest anyone in an about-to-be-released fantasy anthology by Canadian writers between the ages of 10 and 16? (Very talented kids.)

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson for some very, very well-written science fiction

Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay for fantasy. He's one author that has improved with age, with his later works getting better and better.

Who Has Seen the Wind
by W.O. Mitchell for a classic that never dies and deserves its exalted position.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Well, let's make it a threefer then. Mitchell and Kay both hail from Weyburn, Saskatchewan. And to make it the third post in a row highlighting Saskatchewan writers, there's also Edward Willett, who mostly writes non-fiction, but has done some YA and is now working on his second science fiction novel for adults. I quite enjoyed Lost in Translation by him.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
No one has mentioned "Cat's Eye" by Atwood or "The Robber Bride" by Atwood?
My God I LOVE "Cat's Eye" I've probably read that more times than any other book except Wuthering Heights"

I love Cat's Eye too.

How about Fall on Your Knees, by Ann-Marie MacDonald? That's one of my favourites. Also The Romantic, by Barbara Gowdy (I didn't like Helpless as much).

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
If you like your fantasy, then Guy Gavriel Kay is your man.

Or if you are into pirate adventures. . . see my signature (sorry I had too!)

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Casting my vote for Steven Erikson in epic fantasy, for A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Long name, long books. Great reads. Took me less than half of the first book to know I was completely hooked. Just getting into Deadhouse Gates now and it's becoming very interesting indeed.

~DragonHeart~

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read mine! Read mine! :flag: It was published by Thistledown Press in Saskatchewan.
Linnea
Okay - one for me, please! Shipping to Australia?

-------------

Another nominee:

The Boat Who Wouldn't Float, by Farley Mowat

I chuckled all the way through. Wonderful man-versus-boat tale.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, let's make it a threefer then. Mitchell and Kay both hail from Weyburn, Saskatchewan. And to make it the third post in a row highlighting Saskatchewan writers, there's also Edward Willett, who mostly writes non-fiction, but has done some YA and is now working on his second science fiction novel for adults. I quite enjoyed Lost in Translation by him.

I'm in Saskatchewan. Bring it on! :)

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
Wow, some great books and writers mentioned here... I also enjoy Carol Shields, Alice Munro, and Margaret Atwood (Gingerwoman, I have read and re-read Cat's Eye countless times too...). And I love Robertson Davies' Deptford Triology. And anything by Ann Marie McDonald. Nice to have some new names to follow up on too.

For children's and YA fiction, I would recommend Arthur Slade, Ken Oppel, Carrie Mac, Susan Juby, Kit Pearson... I could go and on but I'll stop. Love to hear other's suggestions though!

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
I'll add my vote to Guy Gavriel Kay. My brother got me hooked with The Lions of Al-Rassan. I think I read everything he wrote, but the Lions remains my favorite by him.

In science-fiction, you have Julie Czerneda. I only read the Species Imperative trilogy so far; I'm working on reading the rest of her stuff.

Can't think of anyone else. To be honest, I don't really research if an author is Canadian, American or Martian. If I like, I read.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Someplace to be Flying by Charles De Lint and Microserfs by Douglas Coupland.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Larry's Party and The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields.

I absolutely LOVE Wayson Choy. His best book is THE JADE PEONY.