Off I go...!

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
(Not a flounce, I'm sorry to say. You'll have to get your fun somewhere else.)

Anyway, I'm going to NYC to meet with my agent day after tomorrow! And in the meantime I'm staying with my parents' friend who's on Deadwood *name drop, name drop, name drop* :D Very excited, as you can see-- I love the city anyway, and I'm really looking forward to lunching with my agent! Wow... it still feels cool to say that.

My agent.

My agent.

Yay!

So, yes, if you notice my absence in the next two days (for those of you who, yeah, check to see if I have any new posts every morning ;)) that's where I'll be. Souvenirs for everyone, I promise! *doles out miniature Statues of Liberty*

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
How wonderful for you!!!

Have a great time! Yes, don't forget our souvenirs! :D

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Ack!! Why does she have an agent and I don't??

Come to think of it, why has she finished a novel and I havent?!?

Congrats!!!! :D

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, maddy! That's great. On a scale of 1 to 10, how excited are you?

(I'm not sure I could sleep)

Have fun, be safe, take pictures! Don't forget us when you get all famous.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, maddy! That's great. On a scale of 1 to 10, how excited are you?

(I'm not sure I could sleep)

Have fun, be safe, take pictures! Don't forget us when you get all famous.

10! Of course! :D Shant forget any of you, although I'm not quite sure I'm famous just yet... *puts away autographs sadly*

And DamaNegra, you haven't yet finished a novel yet because you probably have more of a life than me. :tongue But don't worry, I'm sure your life will disintegrate soon enough, and you will finish an awesome novel and get an awesome agent and make major $$$.

Thanks everyone!! See ya in a few days.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Enjoy every second! We're here if you need any support. Go get 'em, Tiger.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Fun Maddy! I'm going to NYC this week too- for the Backspace Conference. Maybe we'll rub shoulders on the subway.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, Spooky, I'm planning to forget you as soon as I'm rich and famous. I'm going to edit all my posts so it looked like I never talked to you, and when people mention your name I'm going to get this blank, glassy look on my eyes and say, "Oh, who's that?" :D

Bus leaves in an hour! Must-- stop-- procrastinating! (Also must stop talking to Spooky. We wouldn't want this conversation to come back and haunt me when I'm rich and famous, now would we?)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Have fun and be safe!

I'm very envious that I'm stuck here tending to a bunch of kids while Maddy is flitting off to the city to do lunch with her agent. Very envious.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Congrats, Maddy! I don't know which is cooler, going to NYC to hang out with an agent, or going to NYC to hang out with someone from Deadwood. That's so cool, either way.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you guys are awesome! Lunch went really well and I loved the city (don't worry, Redd Ryden, I was there with my dad :D), but right now I've got to get to sleep. So... tired.... Tell you all about it tomorrow!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Ooo, Ooo, Oooo, are you awake yet? We're waiting to hear!

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
*groggily wipes sleep from eyes*

Morning y'all.

Okay, so basically, I met Jenny at her office, which is very nice and a lot huger than I expected (especially since I'd just been to my dad's agent's office the day before, and it had a much more homey, piles-of-books feel*) and Jenny and I talked for a little bit and she met my dad (who was there to make sure I didn't get lost and all :tongue), and then Dad left and Jenny and I discussed my book for a little while/ where it's out/ revisions I might do for a house, and then we walked a couple of blocks over to this really nice restaurant that had really good food and nice waiters and everything, with the exception that they kept forgetting to bring Jenny her Diet Coke. But anyway, it was a lot easier to talk to her than I guess I thought, because even though I'd already spoken to her over the phone, I was a little bit nervous, I have to admit.

But I am announcing here that: Jenny Bent is nice. Seriously. She's like really chatty and relaxed and it's cool to talk to her, even about random stuff that has nothing to do with writing. After about 10 minutes I was completely relaxed and I even managed to spit water at her and it turned out to not be a big deal. That is a good sign, people. :D

After we were done with our food (by which time I was completely stuffed), we walked back to her office building, hugged good-bye, she went inside to get back to work, and I crossed the street to wait in a coffee shop for my dad to come pick me up (he was having lunch with his editor at the same time.) The whole thing took about 2-3 hours or so, and seriously, it was a lot more fun than I'd have thought, not because I expected Jenny to be horrid or anything, but because (I think) we really got along quite well, so it didn't have to be *all* about the business (not that I don't love hearing about the business, and to hear horror stories about nasty letters she's received from writers, ahbviously something everyone at AW is smart enough not to do.)

*I'm not saying that's better. Let it be known that I liked both offices. I'm just saying Trident Media is a BIG office. I'm not sure about this, but I think it takes up an entire floor, because when I went up the elevator, I was immediately *in* their offices. Also, the security is all top-notch and stuff and you have to have your photo taken before you're allowed into the building.

Oh! And another really cool part was that I left with like a trillion free books! Seriously, at both agency offices I went to, there were stacks of agency-represented books everywhere, and you're told to just take whatever you want! In fact Jenny kept handing me more books, to the point where I was very glad I only had to walk across the street to meet my dad at the end. :tongue

Sorry for prattling on for so long. I'm just excited, and it's nice to have the awesome AW writers to share stuff with. Now it's off to find some breakfast!

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Maddy! Sounds like a blast!! Congrats on your successes so far and I am thrilled that you are enjoying yourself!

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, Spooky, I'm planning to forget you as soon as I'm rich and famous. I'm going to edit all my posts so it looked like I never talked to you, and when people mention your name I'm going to get this blank, glassy look on my eyes and say, "Oh, who's that?" :D

Bus leaves in an hour! Must-- stop-- procrastinating! (Also must stop talking to Spooky. We wouldn't want this conversation to come back and haunt me when I'm rich and famous, now would we?)
:roll: I hear this a lot from my former girlfriends.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad you had a great time and you're developing a good relationship with your agent.

I had dinner with mine a couple of months after I retained her, and it was really exciting for me too. I had an editorial meeting at my publisher's offices and she actually came for part of the afternoon to meet with the sales and publicity staff with me. Sometimes I think I'm actually more businesslike than she is, but it still helps to have someone else do the negotiating because I'm too shy to do it. And she understands how my publisher does business, which is more than I do, sometimes.