Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: AMB Literary Management

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Mama Bro's Avatar

Question AMB Literary Management

Hello everyone,
    Just checking in to see if anyone has any info on the literary agent Amy Moore Benson. In January, she requested my entire ms. Since I've heard nothing, thought I would drop her an email. Lo and behold, her Website is gone! The email I sent bounced back. She's located in Toronto and sounded legit. She had a background as an editor with Harlequin. Any information would be appreciated.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    January '07:

Marcia King-Gamble's fourth romance in her Flamingo Beach series and two more romances in a new series featuring a life coach, to Mavis Allen at Kimani, by Amy Moore-Benson of AMB Literary Management (world). - Publisher's Lunch 1/16/07

She was still around in February: http://www.sarahweinman.com/confessi...ds_goes_r.html

Also in February:

German rights to Cathy Vasas-Brown's thriller SAFE AS CHURCHES, to Jutta Schneider at Luebbe, by Amy Moore-Benson of AMB Literary Management.

March '07:

http://www.quillandquire.com/announc...osting_id=1231

But the website is indeed down. http://www.ambliterarymanagement.com/

Nothing on the web since early March that I can find. So ... I don't know.

Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's hard to tell.
    I can understand a temporary problem with a website and associated email addresses - if the people hosting the domain go bust, that address may well become uncontactable*. However if it was my business at stake, I'd immediately set up an account elsewhere, e.g. on gmail, and mail all my clients to explain the problem. Short of a major personal disaster, there's no good reason these days to remain uncontactable for lengthy periods of time. Which is not to say that an apparently legit agent shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt, since disaster can happen to us all.

Not that I'm an expert, but I'd send a polite letter to her snail-mail address, saying you've tried to get in touch, but in the absence of further contact you will be submitting to other agents. Even if you agreed to an exclusive, that shouldn't be open-ended. Be polite and professional - if she's still in business and wants to represent you, I'm sure she'll get back. If not, well you have no contract with her, so no loss really...

JM2C

* Which is why my domain name stays with my registrar, and just points to my hosting company's nameservers.
    Elizabethan fantasy N1ght's Masque - out now from 4ngry R0bot Books.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Mama Bro's Avatar

Wink AMB

Hey, thanks to both of you for the quick response. I've been bummed about this mainly because of the hassle it was to mail a ms. to Canada. Sounds like she's alive and well and selling books. I'll take your advice and write a polite letter of inquiry.
    Oh yikes, my paranoia's kicking in! It must be me! I'll bet she's thrown up a shield against my incoming emails. Only me! Why, God??? Can you tell I write fiction?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    She has a listed phone number for the agency.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Website still MIA, but she has recent deals with Key Porter Books, Kensington, and Harlequin.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

According to one of her author's website, the AMB Literary Management email address is:

ambliterarymanagement@rogers.com
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Wondering if Mama Bro or anyone else has heard back from Amy Moore-Benson or had any other interactions with her?

Still selling steadily, FWIW.

And a belated note: in 2006, she moved in with Anne McDermid & Assocs. http://www.mcdermidagency.com/default.cfm
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Still active and selling. Her Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/amblit
    ICAO
    ---------

practical experience, FTW LadyLex's Avatar
    I am considering querying AMB. Does anyone have any recent experience with them? Thanks
    LadyLex