Comment-less Rep Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Oh-oh. Paranoia setting in. Fast. Do I have any negative rep points? Huh? Never knew how to check for that. Storm clouds also gathering.

ETA: Okay, just checked. All postive comments, no blank reps. <Whew!> Now I'm calm. :)

Negative points are pretty rare these days. The only negative point I ever received was a retaliation for my having given someone else a negative rep.

And it was a Take-It-Outside thread, and that pretty much says everything that needs to be said about that.

Deleted member 42

Hey, blank rep comments are not negative points necessarily.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I am totally NOT digging the idea that a person I have on ignore can give me a negative point and I would never know it because the point would be invisible to me. A really freaky obsessive and vindictive person could be clicking negatives at my posts al day every day for weeks and I'd never know.

Isn't the point of putting a person on ignore wanting to wash your hands of them? Isn't putting someone on ignore the MATURE thing to do?

But here it turns out to be a curse in disguise. If someone figured out I had them on ignore, it would be open season on my rep points for that person.

How about if having them on ignore blocks their ability to give me any points at all? A clean wall of separation.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
A really freaky obsessive and vindictive person could be clicking negatives at my posts al day every day for weeks and I'd never know.

They can give you negative reps on every post you've ever made on this forum if they wanted, but if you have them on ignore, you can't see the rep. Since no one else can see your rep box except you, what does it matter if they try to give you a reputation point?

#

Am I really the only person who uses rep points as a way of getting around having a tiny PM box?

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
They can give you negative reps on every post you've ever made on this forum if they wanted, but if you have them on ignore, you can't see the rep. Since no one else can see your rep box except you, what does it matter if they try to give you a reputation point?

#

Am I really the only person who uses rep points as a way of getting around having a tiny PM box?

Don't negative rep points hurt your overall reputation score?

I'm still "on a distinguished road" but then I've only been here a month and I have accumulted just 47 rep points. I'm assuming my "distinguished road" will not become something else (like the "shiny jewel" or "has a very good reputation") until I hit 100 points.

Don't negative rep points detract from positive ones? Or am I misunderstanding what negative rep points have the "power" to do?

My point is that if negative rep ponts have ANY power, then in the spirit of the ignore feature, anyone on my ignore list should be completely denied/disposessed of having such power over me for as long as they are on ignore. I view the "ignore" function as a kind of restraining order against another poster. But in this situation, it's actually an open invitation to that poster to commit covert and repeat acts of reputation vandalism against me.

The only way I can check to see if such negative points have been assigned to me would be to periodically un-ignore the offending poster. But then my desire to be rid of that poster is then comepletely undone by having to constantly unignore him, check my points, then re-ignore him.

Deleted member 42

Guys

Really, the Rep points are sorta silly. It's like gold stars for kids. Don't get too worried about them. They don't really do anything for you at all. Sure, it's nice to leave comments for people, but the points? Meh. No big deal.

Reaction score
I likes 'em, I likes 'em, I tell thee! My fragile ego likes my precious rep points!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...The only way I can check to see if such negative points have been assigned to me would be to periodically un-ignore the offending poster...
You could also keep track of your point total. You have forty-seven now. If you check later and you're down to forty, then your worst nightmare is actually taking place.

I love giving reps far more than I enjoy receiving them. And the few times I was handed negative points, I deserved them and repaid the members with positive ones. (I've never given anyone a negative point. Instead, I give them a hard time on the open forum.)

I must be doing something right, though, 'cause my rep total often hovers in range of fifty percent of my post count. :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
.... It's like gold stars for kids. Don't get too worried about them. They don't really do anything for you at all. Sure, it's nice to leave comments for people, but the points? Meh. No big deal.
I'm really a kid at heart, with a bit of insecurity and a smidgen of paranoia. Staying calm takes hard work, and positive reps help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.