Not open for further replies.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Post your favorite rejection and rejection-related quote here. Please be sure to either include the quote's source (name) or "Anonymous" if you don't have that info.

I'll start with a few.

"I discovered that rejections are not altogether a bad thing. They teach a writer to rely on his own judgment and to say in his heart of hearts, "To hell with you."-Saul Bellow

"A rejection is nothing more than a necessary step in the pursuit of success."-Bo Bennett

"The vital point to remember is that the swine who just sent your pearl of a story back with nothing but a coffee-stain and a printed rejection slip can be wrong. You cannot take it for granted that he is wrong, but you have an all-important margin of hope that might be enough to keep you going."- Brian Stableford

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
"Talent is helpful in writing, but guts are absolutely essential." - Jessamyn West

"We keep going back, stronger, not weaker, because we will not allow rejection to beat us down. It will only strengthen our resolve. To be successful there is no other way." - Earl G. Graves, founder and publisher of Black Enterprise Magazine

"Practice, practice, practice until you eventually get numb on rejections." - Brian Klemmer

"After rejection—misery, then thoughts of revenge, and finally, oh well, another try elsewhere. " - Mason Cooley

"When you can't figure out what to do, it's time for a nap." - Mason Cooley

"Regret for wasted time is more wasted time." - Mason Cooley

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection

[SIZE=-1]"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it." W. C. Fields [/SIZE]

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
"Rejected pieces aren't failures; unwritten pieces are" ~ Greg Daugherty

"There are two wrong reactions to a rejection slip: deciding it's a final judgment on your story and/or talent, and deciding it's no judgment on your story and/or talent." ~ Nancy Kress

"Never buy an editor or publisher a lunch or a drink until he has bought an article, story or book from you. This rule is absolute and may be broken only at your peril." ~ John Creasey

"You become a writer when you write -- not when someone decides your writing will be published."

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
"I wrote for twelve years and collected 250 rejection slips before getting any fiction published, so I guess outside reinforcement isn't all that important to me."
Author: Lisa Alther

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
From an essay by the editor of the Atlantic:

"Some magazines confuse the issue by using more than one rejection form. The Atlantic Monthly, for many years, sent a rejection slip printed in italics, conveying measured admiration for the work being returned and apologizing for the necessity of the printed form. Many writers who received this form (some of whom had long experience with the more cursory basic rejection) believed they were finally on the verge of an important breakthrough and would remind us with every submission that they were now among the chosen. Little could they have imagined that those italicized forms were intended, by a now-departed editor, to be sent to the population groups who seemed most likely to expect special handling: the very old, the very young, prison inmates, mental patients, and others with an exaggerated sense of professional importance."

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejections

Many magazines use more than one form rejection, and while the differences in appearance may be very minor, the meaning is not.

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
One editor's trash is another's treasure.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Trash

One editor's trash is another's treasure.

Sometimes, but sometimes one editor's trash is also another editor's trash, and on very rare occasions, editors can be masochistic about suggesting a writer send a story to another editor they know just as a joke.

Edita A Petrick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editapetrick.biz
My all-time unforgettable rejection

It dates to early 90s, was typed on typewriter on personal stationery, and came from Jean V. Naggar. I'm sure I have the note somewhere in my boxes of rejections. This one glows neon-green in my head whenever I sit down to write...yet another story.

It said: "It's important to grab the reader from the first sentence. Kick your heroine out the door and then re-submit."

I never did manage to shed the first 100 pages of this particular novel to actually start it where the heroine is kicked out the door...but the rejection served me as a great inspirational, orienting, and motivating tool for later works.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
"We are not literary agents." That one came not so many years ago before I found out there are lots of other types of agents than literary ones. Talk abut feeling embarrassed. But that's me, act first and read the instructions later.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
"The vital point to remember is that the swine who just sent your pearl of a story back with nothing but a coffee-stain and a printed rejection slip can be wrong. You cannot take it for granted that he is wrong, but you have an all-important margin of hope that might be enough to keep you going."- Brian Stableford

I love this. Even though this is not the zeitgeist, this comment captures the spirit of many a psychotic writer.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
From a really hot chick I wanted to date in High school. "You're kinda of cute, but I can't date a guy without a great car, sorry. (20 years later I got a great car and she got 4 kids and 175lbs) Than God for some rejections.

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
The heart of my query letter circled along with a big "YUCK!" handwritten next to it.

I can and have handled a ton of rejection, but that one pissed me off and oddly, kept me going.

I have two-book deal with Berkley/Penguin now.

JosephineDamian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
josephinedamian.blogspot.com
Favorite quote - writing quote blog

This is the quote that inspired me to start my Quote It Write blog - an inspirational, illustrated blog of writing quotes:

“To ward off
a feeling of failure,
she joked that
she could wallpaper
her bathroom with
rejection slips,
which she chose not
to see as messages
to stop,
but rather as tickets
to the game.”

Anita Shreve from “The Last Time They Met”

http://quoteitwrite.blogspot.com

Last edited:

Melanie Lane

Registered
Reaction score
"We feel that there is not and never will be a place in the market for your manuscript"

I've gotten two of those from different agents. It motivated me.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
"I'm sorry to say [YOUR BOOK] is ultimately not quite right for me, but this is completely subjective and someone else may feel differently."

Yes, ma'am, I do -- the book's perfect for you! My uncle thinks so, too. And so does my mom!

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I won't tell you what agent wrote this, but it has inspired me to keep my eye on the ball for all these past years. One of these days...

You seem like a nice guy, and I just want to tell you,
while I'm not going to ask to see your book, I do want
to tell you a few crucial mistakes you made in your
query that will scare off almost any agent. Please
don't use this act of generosity on my part as an
excuse to stalk me.

First, no agent wants to pick up another agent's
dregs, so lose this part:

> I was being represented by Jay Poynor Group in New
> York for a detective novel
> I'd written, TOMMY MARBACH'S SON. While there was
> some interest in the
> novel--St.Martins passed it around to three
> editors--it ultimately didn't sell.

We've all been around this block a thousand times and
even getting to ed board at St. Martin's is not really
that impressive.

Self-review is also a problem-- you and whose mother?
CF:

I think I have a
> damn good character in Christian Marbach--I have
> just written a very beautiful
> novel that is much more literary.

Reviews by friends, parents, etc. are even worse:

Those friends who
> have read it say it
> reminds them of Pete Dexter's PAPERBOY.

This is also a no-no:

> The moral decisions
> Tim is then faced with will make this novel an
> instant best-seller and a
> book that once put down will lure its readers back
> to its pages of this
> breathtakingly beautifully crafted tale.

Anyhow, I know it's a bitch, it's cold out there, this
is a tough, cruel and cold business, but you should
try to bolster the appeal of your pitch by 1) sticking
to the facts and 2) get more magazine publications.

Magazines don't pay much, but think about it. If you
were a corporation looking to acquire a new author (or
as they think of it, a brand) would you acquire one
that was totally untested or one that had had some
success? If you were NASA, would you pick the test
pilot with thousands of hours of logged light time--
or the guy who liked to think he'd make a good
astronaut? You're asking a company to invest
thousands of dollars into your work-- show them you've
busted your ass already to perfect your craft. The
only ways to show them that are 1) get published in
magazines; 2) get published by some other company and
sell well (this option includes self-publishing, but
the "sell well" part is the kicker) 3) get blurbs from
established writers; 3) create an audience for
yourself in some other way; 4) be the young boy-toy of
the publisher. The only way around this is to write
absolutely brilliantly, in which case you could
achieve 3) and wouldn't need to get around it anyhow.

That's my frank advice-- all for free! Good luck.

skaempfer

At least I got a good laugh:

"We felt that there were issues with your submitted story that would require more resources then we currently have at our disposal."

This was from a crit group (hey, I thought we were supposed to be bolstering each other!) But I'm not sure if this is a comment on my ms or their crit group...

Hipposoup

Urban Myth?

Seems to be general knowledge that JK Rowling was rejected quite a few times before HP was taken on. But my favourite is the urban myth (?) that an uber-famous author, for whose work publishers were gagging, submitted a ms. to a top Lit. Agent under an assumed name. Needless to say, said ms. was rejected. :Shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.