AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Kneerim & Williams (formerly Kneerim, Williams & Bloom)

[Agency] Kneerim & Williams (formerly Kneerim, Williams & Bloom)

Hi, Jill Kneerim at Kneerim & Williams requested a partial of my novel via email today.

I've been to her agency's website and looked at her profile on agent query, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with her?

Thanks so much!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    No personal experience, sorry.

Agency site: http://www.fr.com/practice/kw.cfm?child=kw (subsidiary of Fish & Richardson P.C.)
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    How did things turn out? And how long did it take her to get back to you? I have heard good things about her.

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion Mr. Anonymous's Avatar
    Leslie Kaufmann requested a partial from me recently. Just heard from her. Said she'd get to it within a month (apparently they're swamped). I'll let you know how it turns out.

figuring it all out
    Leslie Kaufman wrote me requesting a partial (took her a month but she said my email apparently went in her spam) and then when I sent it she wrote back that they were very busy and that it might take 4 weeks to get back to me (which isn't long compared to other agents I've heard from) and that if I am offered representation to please contact them so that they can move my submission up and "throw their hat in the ring" which I'm sure she tells everyone but still made me smile.
    Stats:
    May 13 - equery
    June 26 - request for partial

figuring it all out
    well i emailed leslie kaufman cause another agent expressed interest in my book and said that there were some revisions he would need but that he couldn't work with me till the fall so to consider that in lieu of other offers. So I wrote Ms. Kaufman to let her know, while it wasn't an offer of representation, it still felt like good news so I wanted to let her know someone else was interested and she said "thanks for keeping me in the loop. We'll be in touch shortly"

So we'll see what happens....

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin kayreno's Avatar

Smile fingers crossed

I queried Jill Kneerim on 07/30/09 and I got a request for a full from Katherine Flynn today!! She must be an assistant, not sure. She said to send it to her attention as an email attach or snail mail, so I did the quick one...lol
    She also stated that I should expect to wait 4-6 weeks for a response. So, here's to waiting
    Kay Reno (The "Stand" Trilogy) First two books now available!
    Stand-In
    and
    Stand Out: Devil Seed

Check out My FB page! http://www.facebook.com/KayRenostandIn?ref=hl

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

I did too

Quote Originally Posted by kayreno View Post
    I queried Jill Kneerim on 07/30/09 and I got a request for a full from Katherine Flynn today!! She must be an assistant, not sure. She said to send it to her attention as an email attach or snail mail, so I did the quick one...lol
    She also stated that I should expect to wait 4-6 weeks for a response. So, here's to waiting
    Got the same request from the same person the day before you did. Guess that person is the administrative assistant for all the agents there. I'd addressed my email to Jill Kneerim too, so maybe Katherine works for her alone.

No one has any recent experience with this agency? Perhaps they're very selective in what they look at? Of course they probably don't get as many queries as other agencies given they don't accept equeries.

Where have you been all my life? romi41's Avatar
    Did you guys hear anything back? Is there anyone now who has experience with this agency? They look pretty good from their site, but it also looks like they do a lot of non-fiction, and mine is Multicultural Women's Fiction...but they still requested a Full. I guess I'm just curious as to which of their agents might rep a genre like mine....hmm...well I will send the Full and keep the positive thoughts...let me know if anyone has any experience with them!

Thanks
    Romi

Facebook Page

Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    My insane blog
    "There is nothing like dreams to create the future. Utopia today, flesh and blood tomorrow"-Victor Hugo

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by romi41 View Post
    Did you guys hear anything back? Is there anyone now who has experience with this agency? They look pretty good from their site, but it also looks like they do a lot of non-fiction, and mine is Multicultural Women's Fiction...but they still requested a Full. I guess I'm just curious as to which of their agents might rep a genre like mine....hmm...well I will send the Full and keep the positive thoughts...let me know if anyone has any experience with them!

Thanks
    I e-queried Deborah Grosvenor 12/8/08 re: my historical novel. I got a request for a full from Katherine Flynn, Editorial Assistant 1/27/09.

3/6/09: Nice, personal "r" from Ms. Flynn. At least they had some good things to say about the book and someone appears to have read and considered it.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johnson View Post
    I e-queried Deborah Grosvenor 12/8/08 re: my historical novel. I got a request for a full from Katherine Flynn, Editorial Assistant 1/27/09.

3/6/09: Nice, personal "r" from Ms. Flynn. At least they had some good things to say about the book and someone appears to have read and considered it.

Doc
    Good to know, thank you Doc!
    Romi

Facebook Page

Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    My insane blog
    "There is nothing like dreams to create the future. Utopia today, flesh and blood tomorrow"-Victor Hugo

Hi Romi,

Mine is women's fiction too. Just wondering, who did you address your query to?

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
    Hi Romi,

Mine is women's fiction too. Just wondering, who did you address your query to?
    Hi Vermilion

My query was addressed to Ms. Kneerim herself, but the response came back from Katherine Flynn, who is listed as the "Editorial Manager" at the Boston office. Not sure who the manuscript will ultimately go to, or if Katherine reads them and recommends/not recommends, but we'll see I guess. Her email said I'll hear back in 4-6 weeks...

Did you query to someone specific also?
    Romi

Facebook Page

Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    My insane blog

I have not queried, am planning on querying. Which e-mail did you use?
    The general one? submissions@fr.com

The submission says to include: a two-page synopsis of the book, one sample chapter, and your c.v. or a history of your publications.

Did you attach it or paste in the body of your e-mail?
    Last edited by Vermilion; 10-31-2009 at 12:24 AM.

I was a bit of a fluke in that I didn't realize
    the site was under the bigger company name,
    so I went by guidelines that mustve been out
    of date (not sure if it was litmatch or agent query,
    can't remember!), so I simply emailed the query
    letter and a brief one-paragraph bio.

So I'm not the best example If their site
    says to send all those different things, but they
    don't explicitly state to send as an attachment, maybe
    paste it in the email to be safe?

And yes that was the same email I sent to!
    Romi

Facebook Page

Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    My insane blog

new author

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
    I have not queried, am planning on querying. Which e-mail did you use?
    The general one? submissions@fr.com

The submission says to include: a two-page synopsis of the book, one sample chapter, and your c.v. or a history of your publications.

Did you attach it or paste in the body of your e-mail?
    Hi, Vermillion - I sent Kneerin & William a query e-mail 8/23/09 - women's fiction - and never heard back. I'm going to send another this week to Katherine Flynn to see if she'll respond since no one else did.

Quote Originally Posted by romi41 View Post

Thanks

I sent a query letter and one chapter of my MG novel to Leslie Kaufmann on 10/18 and received an email back on 10/20 asking for the full manuscript. I sent her the materials and a return email said they'd get back to me within four weeks...haven't heard anything yet. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

New York. If you see me anywhere else I'm lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharleyGirl View Post
    I sent a query letter and one chapter of my MG novel to Leslie Kaufmann on 10/18 and received an email back on 10/20 asking for the full manuscript. I sent her the materials and a return email said they'd get back to me within four weeks...haven't heard anything yet. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!
    What email did you use to sub to Ms. Kaufmann?

I tried twice today to submit to submissions@fr.com, and both times it bounced back due to security reasons. Even though I only had a subject line of "Query- Leslie Kaufmann" and then "Submission (Leslie Kaufmann)" the return note said I got caught in a spam filter.
    blog / twitter

PLAN B- agented
    JUKEBOX HERO- 20K

Charlys,

I queried on Oct 31st, and haven't heard back.

Quote Originally Posted by Moost View Post
    What email did you use to sub to Ms. Kaufmann?

I tried twice today to submit to submissions@fr.com, and both times it bounced back due to security reasons. Even though I only had a subject line of "Query- Leslie Kaufmann" and then "Submission (Leslie Kaufmann)" the return note said I got caught in a spam filter.
    Kara- I used Kaufmann@fr.com

Hope you get through!

New York. If you see me anywhere else I'm lost.
    Good to know you got a positive response from her individual address! Will try that tomorrow- thanks a lot!
    blog / twitter

PLAN B- agented
    JUKEBOX HERO- 20K

Quote Originally Posted by Moost View Post
    Good to know you got a positive response from her individual address! Will try that tomorrow- thanks a lot!

Good luck Moost and everyone else!

They've had my Full for ten days now if you count the weekend, so it'll be a while..I'm just going to not think about it...I just hate when an agency has my Full when they didn't even ask for a partial first. I mean I don't HATE it, LOL...but a Full almost IS like a partial when there's no partial first...I have no idea if they'll be into my writing style, they might stop after five pages if they don't like it....argh.....

Yes, happy-happy waiting time
    Romi

Facebook Page

Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    My insane blog

Closet Writer
    Quick question -- was going to submit a query to them. They want a fair amount of material in addition to you querey letter (ie CV, Synopsis, 2 sample chapters) I am finding that most agents want this info pasted into the body of the email (afraid of viruses I guess) Is this true for them or do they want seperate word documents.

Thanks

Smile Kneerim and Williams- Submission Policy

Quote Originally Posted by trisha View Post
    Quick question -- was going to submit a query to them. They want a fair amount of material in addition to you querey letter (ie CV, Synopsis, 2 sample chapters) I am finding that most agents want this info pasted into the body of the email (afraid of viruses I guess) Is this true for them or do they want seperate word documents.

Thanks
    I'm always a little hesitant to paste a bunch of stuff into an email...I get paranoid that the format is going to turn out weird and make them want to stop reading (although it's fun for me to be able to blame a rejection on bad formatting instead of bad writing).

For my submission to Leslie Kaufmann, I conveniently went off what she requested on her AgentQuery page, not the Kneerim and Williams policy, so I didn't have too much to paste in.

Back to your actual question: if they ask for it in the body of the email, then (most likely) they will NOT open any attached documents. When in doubt, follow instructions I guess.

Romi- what did you do?

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyGirl View Post
    I'm always a little hesitant to paste a bunch of stuff into an email...I get paranoid that the format is going to turn out weird and make them want to stop reading (although it's fun for me to be able to blame a rejection on bad formatting instead of bad writing).

For my submission to Leslie Kaufmann, I conveniently went off what she requested on her AgentQuery page, not the Kneerim and Williams policy, so I didn't have too much to paste in.

Back to your actual question: if they ask for it in the body of the email, then (most likely) they will NOT open any attached documents. When in doubt, follow instructions I guess.

Romi- what did you do?

Best of luck!
    Hi CharleyGirl,

Sorry I missed this before, but yes I also went off of Agent Query guidelines (I check the agent sites too but must've missed it that time), so I only sent a query letter plus a brief bio.

In terms of responses, I DO have an update: I sent my Full to Katherine Flynn as per request 16 days ago. Today I received a response that there has been one positive read in the agency, and now it's being passed around for more opinions. I actually really appreciate the status update, it's not something I would have expected. She also asked to let her know if any other agent has interest, so I'll inform her of the other Full that is out, without naming names of course.

And then I'll hear back in another few weeks I'm told.

So we'll see...but if it ends up being a rejection after that it'll sting!!!

Good thoughts to everyone else!
    Romi

Facebook Page

Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    My insane blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast