AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: [Agency] Scovil Galen Ghosh (formerly Scovil Chichak Galen)

Author-Curmudgeon
    info@sgglit.com bounces

You'd think they'd update their OWN SITE if not necessarily their entry on agentquery.com... they still list Jack Scovil as an active agent with info on how to submit material to him. Maybe he represents books pertaining to the occult?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Guy View Post
    I'm going through Query Tracker, lining up possible query victims, er, targets, er, prospective agents. I've found that Rachel Kory is listed as an agent with Scovil Galen, and she's mentioned in this thread in several places, but she isn't mentioned as one of the agents on the website and she has her own website (where she indicates she's with SG.) I'm not being paranoid, just curious. Is there some form of legitimate relationship, like "Associate" or "Freelancer" where this happens?
    I had the same question.

When I google her name, I get this site that says she's with SGG. But she's not mentioned on their site at all from what I can see (there doesn't seem to be a way to get a list of agents working for them, aside from the ones pictured on the front page), and she isn't listed in preditors and editors. And more confusingly, I got her name on Query Tracker when I was researching agents by helpful feedback percentages (her name came up and they list her as being with this agency), yet when I enter the name of this agency on their agent search feature, her name doesn't come up.

Nor does it if I do a general search by her name (query tracker's general search feature does this to me a lot, however. Gives zero results, yet I find the agent in another spot on their site). She reps an author (Fran Wilde) who has a novel coming out with Tor in 2015, according to Publisher's Marketplace, so she seems to be a real agent who can sell books.

It's rather confusing. I guess if I decide to query her, I'll assume the information on her personal site is accurate.
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 01-23-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Human, last I checked
    If there's a bright center to the universe...
    FWIW, I'm pretty sure Rachel's legit. She's newish, and I'd say it's someone else's fault that the website hasn't been updated... but I had a referral to her from another (legit) agent, and she responded from an SGG email address. She seems very nice, and has actual clients who have actually sold, so I don't think there's anything iffy there except maybe a forgetful webmaster.

practical experience, FTW Treehouseman's Avatar
    There shouldn't be a problem, Query Tracker is pretty up to date. I've found that Agency websites by their very nature are only updated once every six months to a year.
    Writin' Urban Explorin' and other stuff.

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    Rachel Kory is/was Russell Galen's assistant. I believe she started building her own list fairly recently through queries/MS that were rolled over to her by Galen.
    _________
    A.G.C.

Touch: A Trilogy - AVAILABLE NOW!
    "The 'Touch' trilogy is a masterclass in world-building, tells a fascinating story with economy and intelligence, and does so with fine, pared-down prose." - Eric Brown, author of The Fall of Tartarus

"I loved this novella series. Brooding, earthy, whispering to us with a delicious mood of creeping dread while filling the heart with a pure sense of wonder." - Charles de Lint, author of The Onion Girl

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Any updates on queries sent to Rachel Kory? Sent mine 1/14

practical experience, FTW Treehouseman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stw_ftw View Post
    Any updates on queries sent to Rachel Kory? Sent mine 1/14
    You'll probably need to wait another month. According to Query Tracker she's only up to reading early December's queries.
    Writin' Urban Explorin' and other stuff.

I sent a query back in late Jan, and she's up to about the first week of March with rejects, but she's skipped a bunch from Jan and Feb, including mine. Not sure if this means no, or she's still thinking about some of them, or if it means it got lost/spammed, and I should re-query.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    A note that Anna Ghosh founded her own agency in '13. (BR&BC thread) SGG site yet to reflect this (hasn't been updated since '10, actually).
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I queried Russell this weekend because my fantasy retelling reminds me of the Juliet Marillier books I loved reading growing up and also because GOD'S DEMON is one of my absolute favorite novels of all time. To my surprise, he emailed me in a few days with a full request, and now I am super stoked! Even if it is a rejection I know he gives good feedback. He's one of the top agents and it's just an honor to have him read my work.

Quote Originally Posted by avnelson View Post
    I queried Russell this weekend because my fantasy retelling reminds me of the Juliet Marillier books I loved reading growing up and also because GOD'S DEMON is one of my absolute favorite novels of all time. To my surprise, he emailed me in a few days with a full request, and now I am super stoked! Even if it is a rejection I know he gives good feedback. He's one of the top agents and it's just an honor to have him read my work.
    Yeah, isn't it interesting how it can feel great just to have someone you respect look at your work even if they reject it?

Quote Originally Posted by Director C View Post
    Yeah, isn't it interesting how it can feel great just to have someone you respect look at your work even if they reject it?
    Exactly!

So Russell got back to me in exactly SIX DAYS with a kind but polite rejection saying I had a great concept but that he thought it was a bit rough in execution. Fastest full rejection ever, I'm still thrilled he took a look - the manuscript is still with six agents so I'm not too worried and other agents have felt quite differently about the execution and some have actually despised the concept. On the off chance I don't get an agent soon, Russell will be the first I query again with my novel in the works. Awesome guy, I'm young and still have a lot of work to do on my writing. Give it a couple of years and who knows.

Anybody have any more recent dealings with Mr. Galen? Curious about response times outside the QueryTracker stats.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Hoping someone in here could help answer: does Russell Galen normally confirm receipt of manuscripts? He asked to have a look at mine (yay!), but after I sent it to him, there hasn't been any reply. It's been 12 days, which I know isn't all that long--but now my rabbity brain is wondering if he even received it at all. Should I ask him directly, or just sit still and wait?

figuring it all out TMeuretBooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    Anybody have any more recent dealings with Mr. Galen? Curious about response times outside the QueryTracker stats.
    I queried him recently and it took him about 2 days to respond with a very personalized rejection. Very prompt and very courteous. Anyone would be lucky to snag him as an agent.

figuring it all out quianaa2001's Avatar
    Does Russell only accept scifi? What genres is he into?

This interview may help you: http://litstack.com/litchat-intervie...terary-agency/

He's had a query of mine for two months, which is a little maddening (since his turnaround on straightforward rejections has been much quicker).

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678