AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Scovil Galen Ghosh (formerly Scovil Chichak Galen)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin CB's Avatar
    Yes! Will send positive wave lengths!!! Please do same for me!
    CB
    CB

practical experience, FTW Nandi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB View Post
    Yes! Will send positive wave lengths!!! Please do same for me!
    CB
    I'm beaming those thoughts to you now, CB!

Quote Originally Posted by CB View Post
    Ok, thanks. was looking for something up to date on Anna Ghosh. She seems to have at least a moderate interest in lyrical, moving memoirs...
    CB
    I'm looking at recent google results and I don't see much. I don't think Anna is leaving much of an Internet trail.

Here's a bit:

From here:

Anna Ghosh has been named partner at the Scovil Chichak Galen Literary Agency. Ghosh is a longtime senior agent at the agency which has now been renamed Scovil Galen Ghosh Literary Agency.
    She's named as Mark Engler's agent here and named as Kristen Britain's agent here.

Plus a couple of conferences (here and here).

Also, looks like she made it into John Kremer's (unreliable) Self-Publishing Hall of Fame by helping an author sell a previously self-published book to a legitimate publisher. The details on that would need researching since John Kremer is so unreliable.

I searched for blog posts about her, but came up with supposedly no posts on livejournal.com and only one on blogspot.com, with google telling me "These terms only appear in links pointing to this page: anna ghosh"

I'm not really seeing much. Sorry. Some agents just don't leave a big online "paper trail."

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Anne has nine deals on PM for 2008, including a "good" deal to Free Press and a "major" deal to DAW.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Any idea if Anna Ghosh represents screenwriters? It'd appear as if she doesn't based on the website, but she apparently represents Sooni Taraporevla who wrote the screenplay for Namesake and also Mississippi Masala. The reason I ask, is because I'm finding it difficult to find script agents interested in the South Asian diaspora and obviously Ghosh would have some interest in it.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    When I wrote that bit in the not-a-FAQ about real agents leaving trails, I didn't think it was necessary to specify that someone who's been working as a senior agent under Jack Scovil and Russ Galen, and has just been made a full partner in the firm, is unquestionably a real agent.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Talking

I submitted three months ago and heard nothing, changed the letter, resubmitted, and got a response in four hours (it was a no, but never mind).

I'm now bitten by the instant response bug though, so am considering hitting Donald Maas.

practical experience, FTW Rebecca_Rogers's Avatar
    Has anyone had any experience with Ann Behar? I see she's trying to build her client list in the YA department.

I just had to toss this in here real quick.

I just sent Russ Galen my query letter not 25 minutes ago...

Dear Mr. Holiday,

I appreciate your contacting me, but the fact is that about three hours before I got this letter I agreed to take on a book with a slightly similar premise. I can't represent them both.

Sincerely,

Russ Galen

So while I'm crushed because he was literally my #1 pick? I'm flattered that he read my query letter and was kind enough to write me back so promptly. A+ Agent, but then we already knew that.

settling in with my red pen . . . Mel A.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EzraHoliday View Post
    I just had to toss this in here real quick.

I just sent Russ Galen my query letter not 25 minutes ago...

Dear Mr. Holiday,

I appreciate your contacting me, but the fact is that about three hours before I got this letter I agreed to take on a book with a slightly similar premise. I can't represent them both.

Sincerely,

Russ Galen

So while I'm crushed because he was literally my #1 pick? I'm flattered that he read my query letter and was kind enough to write me back so promptly. A+ Agent, but then we already knew that.
    That's too bad. But the good news is that it sounds like the subject of your work may be a hot property right now. Surely it will get picked up elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel A. View Post
    That's too bad. But the good news is that it sounds like the subject of your work may be a hot property right now. Surely it will get picked up elsewhere!
    That's what I'm hoping. If Russ is taking on a project like that, it might be a new trend or at least be of interest for houses atm.

*crosses fingers*

Teacher by day, YA writer by night Senora Verde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca_Rogers View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with Ann Behar? I see she's trying to build her client list in the YA department.
    I queried her almost 6 weeks ago, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Senora Verde View Post
    I queried her almost 6 weeks ago, nothing.

Oh man. I queried her a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything. Looks like I may be waiting much longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
    How long do you want to wait? I queried them by mail on August 24, 08. I have not seen my SASE or an email that I included in my query. That begs a question. How long should we wait until we give up hope on an agent who does not reply?

I give them 6-8 weeks, then tag them as rejections. Just a personal thing, I guess.

Teacher by day, YA writer by night Senora Verde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca_Rogers View Post
    I give them 6-8 weeks, then tag them as rejections. Just a personal thing, I guess.
    I hear ya. I have 8 agents that if I don't hear from them by Friday it will have been 6 weeks and I will officially (in my head) give up on them. It's so sad.

At least with rejections I get that 5 seconds of hope between the time I see the email in my inbox, and I click on it to read "Thanks, etc., I'm sorry but, etc., good luck, etc...."

I guess if I ever do hear from them that'll be super exciting, right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Senora Verde View Post
    I hear ya. I have 8 agents that if I don't hear from them by Friday it will have been 6 weeks and I will officially (in my head) give up on them. It's so sad.

At least with rejections I get that 5 seconds of hope between the time I see the email in my inbox, and I click on it to read "Thanks, etc., I'm sorry but, etc., good luck, etc...."

I guess if I ever do hear from them that'll be super exciting, right? Right?

Gosh, I would think so! I have a full and a partial out right now and it's almost time for both deadlines to be up. I try not to think about it!

practical experience, FTW socact's Avatar
    I got a same-day request for a full from Russell Galen today (5/8) - really excited! I didn't send him any sample pages, and I haven't queried anyone else with this ms, so I have no idea how the first few pages will be received. Well, I guess I'll give it my best shot.

It's SF, in case anyone is curious.

practical experience, FTW socact's Avatar
    I've queried about 10 agents so far, so not too many. Is it standard to query upwards of 100 agents for science fiction? I'm very unfamiliar with the genre - it isn't what I usually write. This ms is actually a cross between SF/romance/literary, but I categorized this submission as SF, because it's what Mr. Galen represents.

Not sure if that helps...

I queried Galen, but he turned me down because I don't have anything published in magazines. He said that for a new SF writer, some sort of track record would be necessary. Maybe he just wasn't interested in the story...
    Si tu n'es pas une lumière, tu dois réfléchir.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
    I think that you are lucky he responded at all. He did not respond to my query last August, and on his submissions page, there is the quote "If we're interested, we'll email you an invitation...".
    Initially, I queried him beginning of January. 3 months later, I piped up and asked if maybe the email got lost in cyberspace. That's when he responded and asked me to resubmit - an hour later, the dreaded rejection came. Maybe you could poke...

Don't kill the bar, Dude. Epiphany's Avatar
    I received a personal rejection letter from Mr. Galen the same day that I sent out a query. He remarked that my query sounded comic-bookie and like an X-Men story so he wasn't interested. I laughed to the point of tears and showed the letter to a couple of my friends and family, who were all astonished at how the heck he came to that conclusion from my query. However, I appreciate his upfront honesty and the fact that he was willing to take the time to personalize the rejection.

Did he personalize anyone else's rejection?
    Last edited by Epiphany; 07-12-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Track of the Week: Harald Kloser: The End

Now with bonus eyelashes AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Still waiting on one. But it's only been a week.
    Paranormal Bromance and Joy (PB&J) - NaNoWriMo - 25,004 words

"This isn't Scooby Doo. We're not meddling kids who are going to find clues and solve the mystery."
    "This is Scooby Doo, except the monsters and witches are real, and they have your family! You and Joy are the only ones who can do anything about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Epiphany View Post
    I received a personal rejection letter from Mr. Galen the same day that I sent out a query. He remarked that my query sounded comic-bookie and like an X-Men story so he wasn't interested. I laughed to the point of tears and showed the letter to a couple of my friends and family, who were all astonished at how the heck he came to that conclusion from my query. However, I appreciate his upfront honesty and the fact that he was willing to take the time to personalize the rejection.

Did he personalize anyone else's rejection?
    Mine, in a way. He said they would only take on a new SF writer with some sort of track record in magazines. It might have been a form rejection, I guess, as he didn't say anything about the actual query.

new author

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Still waiting on one. But it's only been a week.
    Hi, Sage,
    I sent a query to Anna Ghosh 9/19/09. The site says if don't hear from them in 2 months they're not interested. I've still got almost 2 weeks to go. However, I'm not waiting on their answer and have sent out a lot more queries to otehr agents since then.

Trying to send an email query to Russell Galen.
    I do not have his e-mail address.
    The link on his web site will only start up (on my laptop) an install start up for Outlook, so, I am unable to actually SEE what his e-mail address is.

can anyone help me out with this?
    Doyle W. Sinclair

'I'm in the kitchen. . .with the tombstone blues.'

Pics:
    http://www.pbase.com/dwstxs

WIP's-
    Blue-Eyed Son -available on Amazon.com in print and Kindle versions - 119k

Untitled sci-fi work. currently at 40k

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast