bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Scovil Galen Ghosh (formerly Scovil Chichak Galen)

Sockpuppet
    I was wrong. From the submission page:

Begin with a query letter describing your project, background, and credentials, which you may send by mail or e-mail. If you wish to receive a hard copy reply you must include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
    For this first contact, nothing should be enclosed with the letter; dont send any sample material until we advise you that wed like to see it. E-mails with unsolicited attachments will be deleted unread, out of concern for viruses.

practical experience, FTW Pisarz's Avatar
    Has anyone worked with/had interaction with Jack Scovil?
    YA writer represented by Ginger Clark.

Twitter: @snarkychicklet

Quote Originally Posted by Pisarz View Post
    Has anyone worked with/had interaction with Jack Scovil?
    He rejected a query of mine back in '05, but he was fast and very nice about it.
    If I had a signature, you'd be reading it right now.

Sockpuppet
    An author I regularly correspond with is a client with this agency and he says the whole staff is an A+ class act.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Yup, they rejected my submission promptly and courteously. One of the top agencies.

practical experience, FTW
    Really? I've queried three times, with different projects and never heard back. That's not typical? (I queried RG). Should I maybe status q or something?

Billionster

Smile Congratulations Montage!

Hope this helps![/quote]
    Congratulations! How many days after she asked for your ms and accepted you?
    Last edited by Billionster; 11-28-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Want to add Title

practical experience, FTW Hopcus's Avatar
    I e-queried Russell Galen about two weeks ago, and he replied in about five minutes asking me to send him a full. I sent it a few minutes later, and he got back to me in just a little over a week. Unfortunately it wasn't with an offer of representation, but he did give me a VERY detailed list of the things he did and did not like in my ms. He has also continued to be extremely helpful with suggestions on improving my book. Just wanted to let people know what a nice guy he is.

Sockpuppet
    He has one heck of an impressive sales record too.

Represents David Farland, Kate Elliot, Terry Goodkind... *faints*
    Last edited by Dragon-lady; 02-17-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Yes, I'm totally into that.. privatepook's Avatar
    I snail mail queried Russell Galen back in November '07 (five months ago) and haven't heard back yet.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how much longer I should wait before sending a follow-up query?

I'm also wondering if it's faux pas to send an e-query follow-up if the first was snail mail.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by privatepook View Post
    I snail mail queried Russell Galen back in November '07 (five months ago) and haven't heard back yet.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how much longer I should wait before sending a follow-up query?

I'm also wondering if it's faux pas to send an e-query follow-up if the first was snail mail.
    It took me 3 queries to get a response out of Mr Galen
    I would re-query without mentioning the first attempt

Does anyone have experience with Anna Ghosh who is also at this agency? Thanks.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by LBW66 View Post
    I couldn't find any threads on this agency. From my google search they look extremely reputable, but I couldn't find anything on the woman who requested my ms - Ann Behar. I got an email from her stating that Russell Galen had forwarded my query to her and she wanted to read my novel,(Yeah!). Anyone know if she's an assistant or new agent? I'd love any feedback on the agency too.
    Thanks!
    -Laura
    If you go to the main page of their website you'll find her photo. Click on it and you'll get more info.

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
    Does anyone have experience with Anna Ghosh who is also at this agency? Thanks.
    I've e-queried her -- only two days ago, though, so I can't answer your question. But I'd also really be interested in any first-hand experiences people have had.

HINT HINT
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

Quote Originally Posted by smallthunder View Post
    I've e-queried her -- only two days ago, though, so I can't answer your question. But I'd also really be interested in any first-hand experiences people have had.

HINT HINT
    I queried her in March and still have not heard a thing. Let me know if you hear something, and I will do the same. Good luck.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Russel Galen: I have something good to say

I don't know if this is the right place, but I have something good to say about an agent that rejected my query. So this is more or less the opposite of a "beware."

The agent was Russel Galen of Scovil Chichak Galen Literary Agency. He specializes (in part) in fantasy and science fiction, so I sent him a query about my fantasy novel. A month after sending that query, I emailed him to follow up on it, explaining that I'd sent the query by snail mail with SASE, and asking if he needed more time or if I should move on to the next agent on my list.

He responded THE SAME DAY and asked me to resubmit the query by email, which I did. And then he got back to me, again THE SAME DAY, and said that he was interested in a different type of fantasy.

As disappointing as it always is to get a rejection, that rapid a response is just about unheard-of. Granted, since he asked me to resubmit the query it wasn't "unsolicited," but I still think this speaks well of him.

Just thought I'd toss this into the mix along with all the (very necessary and important) bad news we find.

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Welcome to the cooler.

There are quite a number of threads talking about the "good guys" and it's always nice to hear another positive story.

FYI, there's a search function at the top of this forum that allows you to determine if there is already a thread running about a particular agent/publisher. The thread for Mr. Galen is here.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...+Chichak+Galen

By searching before starting a new thread, it helps to keep the place neat and tidy.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Boomergirl's Avatar
    I actually have good things to say about Russell Galen, too. I e-queried about 16 people over the weekend for my novel. I knew I no one would be reading over the weekend, but I didn't have any time to do it Sunday night and this is a busy week for me. Monday morning, at 6:55 AM I got an email back from Russell Galen, in which he stated that he could not represent my book because it was 'chick-lit' and he knew nothing about it. I was a bit thrown because on his website he lists Marian Keyes' book 'Sushi for Beginners' there, but when I e-mailed him back about this he said he was never her agent, just helped the British agent/publisher get North American rights for her.

Even though I was obviously disappointed that he did not look at my story, I have to give the man props for his astoundingly quick response time and the fact that he took the time to answer my question afterward. Seems very professional and nice. Good luck to anyone who gets to work with him.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin CB's Avatar

Scovil Galen Ghosh?

any recent updats on this agency? Many thanks,
    CB
    CB

practical experience, FTW Nandi's Avatar
    I don't have any recent information about them, but I queried Anna Ghosh about 5 or 6 weeks ago. No response yet. They look like a fine agency.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    There's an existing thread on them here - mostly rejections but positive feedback on the experience.

MM

figuring it all out
    Funny how the new name still sounds like a Klingon law firm.
    Rest in peace Don LaFontaine, the real movie announcer guy. Can you imagine the symphony of Don, James Earl Jones and Charlton Heston having a conversation?

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar
    I queried 11 monyhs ago and heard nothing.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin CB's Avatar
    Ok, thanks. was looking for something up to date on Anna Ghosh. She seems to have at least a moderate interest in lyrical, moving memoirs...
    CB
    CB

practical experience, FTW Nandi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CB View Post
    Ok, thanks. was looking for something up to date on Anna Ghosh. She seems to have at least a moderate interest in lyrical, moving memoirs...
    CB
    That's what I thought, too, CB, which is why I queried her. I wish she'd respond!
    Last edited by Nandi; 11-29-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: stupid spelling mistake

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast