On The Lot

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Marty Martin's trailers were great!
But they're not supposed to be trailers. I'm glad he's gone. Not only was he arrogant (arrogance and confidence are two different animals), after being told repeatedly to make something that's actually a short movie with a beginning middle and end, he couldn't pull it off. And as for what Carrie Fisher said to him last week: good for her. Somebody needed to tell him to keep his ego in check, but it was too little too late since I'm sure that's what killed his chances.

This week? Zach's SUNSHINE GIRL was beautiful
Not perfect, but the best of the night.

Jason's BLOOD BORN was one I loved too (and once again, the Judges just do. not. understand. him.)
Neither do I. Okay, I actually did get it this time, but I agree with what the judges said about the story not being clear enough. But there was definitely a story there. To my mind, he's showing improvement as we go along.

THE ORCHARD was actually horrid.
Yuck. Worst one of the night. I see her on a Grayhound next week. Funny part is, she has the best attitude. Quite a few of the others could learn a thing or two from her about taking crit without behaving like a petulant child.

Last edited:

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rainynightproductions.com
So much for the scruffy beard theory...

I can't wait to be done with these 3 minute films. Maybe next week we can see some new films and some behind the scenes. (You all know that these first 3-minute films are the contestants’ submission films, right?) These are the films that got them on the show, which really makes me wonder about the selection process...

And what's up with the Logline Challenge? Voting was suppose to start on the 18th, then pushed back to the 19th, the 21st and now the 26th? I confess I entered. If selected to be included in the voting I promise to shamelessly promote myself here. If I win the Logline Challenge I promise to shamelessly plug AW... so vote for me... the contestant to be named later...

I like the show... but it could have been done so much better, excellent concept executed poorly. Maybe it'll get better as it gets more challenging for the directors.

I'm going out on a limb... I think Zach's going to win the thing.

De Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody still watching this?

I love this show but it doesn't seem to be doing too well. Just wondering if there is anyone still out there tuning in.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Cooler, De Lady. :)

Yeah, I'm still watching. It's just -- I dunno, not exciting enough. I really think they've boogered up the format. This splitting into alternating groups so each director does something every second week and then not finding out who got voted off until a week later just isn't working for me.

On the positive side, some of those kids are starting to show their chops. And I too think Zach is the one to beat.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
He always thought they formated it wrong, should have shown more of the process instead of the commentary by the judges.

That's what a lot of people seem to think here, too. But that might effect the voting differently. Instead of voting for the best film, people might end up voting for the most interesting contestant.

We're all rooting for Andy here. A Minneapolis filmmaker could make a great film with only a million dollars.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I still tune in and enjoy it, but really now it's so I can feel the outrage over how wrong and dense Carrie Fisher seems to be in her Judgement of some of the guys' films.

I say "guys" because she torpedoed one female Shalin for daring to try to "send a message" and now both femme directors are gone!

Gladly, this seems to be the week Kenny Luby gets his just desserts (extinction). His skateboard fiasco was as bad as his ego is over-inflated!

Loved Jason-from-Kentucky's "SWEET" (the marrieds who forget each other's anniversary) and Sam's KEY WITNESS (two guys chased by killers) ... Mateen's CATCH (singing girl tries to jack the cop) was the nicer story, but I thought the "action" was a little weak (don't have your action/chase start moving away from the camera, and sustain that as a wide shot, it's instantly deflating etc)

Carrie (predictably) loved ZERO2SIXTY best (which the other two Judges saw through, thanky) ...

So yes, I for one still watch ON THE LOT. It's getting better (Horror, Action, and no real stinkers like before) ... but yes, still a disappointment to the great filmmaking TV contest it shouldah been!