On The Lot

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight is the night for the premiere episode of Fox TV's latest reality show, On The Lot, where 50 hopefuls vie for a development deal with Dreamworks.

This is one reality show I'm actually looking forward to in hopes it entertains us while giving us an inside look at how movies are made.

Anybody else planning to watch?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely. It looks so interesting. (and I am hopeful it is more successful than Project Greenlight).

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I'm already lining all the dolls up in front of the tv to watch! I'm thrilled by the potential! But ... I was thrilled by PGL too ... and "On The Lot" sure sucks as a series title ...

Fingers crossed! Hope it has the Spielberg magic/success!

"Next year in Hollywood!"

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
You know it was weird. Normally I like watching the auditions where people humiliate themselves (American Idol etc) but I think it is because these days most EVERYONE wants to be "famous" and not a "singer" or "dancer" and so don't really realise they have no talent and I like to see them knocked down a peg.

But last night's episode of this show and the pitches I found really hard to watch because these people already made it a certain way, and it was their dream and it just seemed so sad when they froze, or overdid it or just plain sucked.

Looking forward to when they start making movies though!

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rainynightproductions.com
IMHO - I think a lot of the people that made it this far are skilled directors... they know where to put a camera and put shots together, but when it comes to telling a story they find it difficult. I think for the pitch sessions you really needed to be a good writer, finding a story in the logline and presenting it with confidence.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
True...but the skill of directing is to artfully tell a story on film. If you can't get it out in words, how can a director expect to direct his crew to make them understand where to go next. I mean, they don't have to be actors, or writers. But they still have to express a story properly unless they intend on doing all the work.

But it was a fun show to watch. I think it would be better as soon as I see some of their work. Then I could relate more.

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I agree, but the director is working from a script. His job is to present the story in a visual way. Unless you are a Tarantino or M. Night usually the director's involvement with the script or story is only to help present the story visually. The challenge last night was to create a story from the logline given and pitch it. I may be wrong, but usually it's the writer pitching the script.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
I thought the first episode was brilliant--great idea, executed in a fair manner. What an interesting parallel the "pitch" has to our query letters of various degrees of success. And the dilemma of two film crews too close in proximity in the railyard is priceless. The good directors would find a way to make it work out for BOTH parties--screening, atlernating...some form of cooperation that they had better have for the rest of their career. Otherwise the world will not be big enough for them...or their egos. If they end up throwing mud clods at each other, both should be kicked off next week. I love this show!

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't get a chance to pop in here yesterday....

I liked it too. I really felt for those poor kids who choked. That first guy, with the jacket and tie, dear gawd that was hard to watch. And yeah, Meerkat, the parallel to querying was intense, wasn't it? I found myself wondering if I would be able to pitch my novel without making a fool of myself if I ever found myself in an elevator next to Teresa Nielsen Hayden or someone like that.

I think having them do the pitch was a good way to cull the herd. After all, even with a script written by someone else, the Director needs to be able to tell the story. He or she is the one in charge, the one who puts it all together to make sure a coherent story is what ends up on screen. So this lets them find the ones who can tell a story themselves, which I think would bode well for their ability to interpret and film someone else's story.

Tonight's show should be really cool, I can't wait to see these short films.

PS -- my wife and I were falling all over ourselves laughing when that guy started smacking the stage with his belt. Holy cow!

Last edited:

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I wanna see the movies they shoot too. I didn't think any of the pitches were very impressive, and a few the judges seemed to be disdainful of I thought weren't any worse than the ones they liked (plus, show us one good one; they said "have a strong beginning/middle/end ... but none of the pitches had much of all three)

Sex it up, add conflict, but they gotta step away from American Idol, where it's just the celeb Judges bloviating. Show the movies, show the personality clashes, get that one chick nekkid ... I know the shining path when I see it laid out before me.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh YEAH! Wasn't that awesome? There's a team that was able to see past personalities and make the most of each of their talents. What a thrill it must have been for those kids to hear the reaction of the audience when the hangers froze in mid-air. I don't think anyone, the judges included, expected to see something like that. Wow!

As Marshall said, the average movie costs $100,000 per day to shoot. Time pressure on a big time director will be enormous, so which of these 'contestants' can come through under that sort of pressure? The next test is more of the same. I think it's a pretty good way to cull the group down to the final 18.

Last edited:

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I cannot believe the special effects those three (couple's argument stopping time) came up with in 24 hours! THAT is the team to watch in the endgame...

I think that's a fairly easy effect, still it made everyone's jaw drop, and I agree what a way for a team to pull together.

I also liked the first short, I can't remember the name, the random act of kindness one, in the laundry mat... I thought that team did a excellent job.

I wish we could have seen all of the shorts, maybe they have them on line.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a fairly easy effect, still it made everyone's jaw drop, and I agree what a way for a team to pull together.
I think it was the fact they were able to get it done in the time they had that was so amazing. Some of the other teams were so busy bickering they barely got their raw footage in the can.

I also liked the first short, I can't remember the name, the random act of kindness one, in the laundry mat... I thought that team did a excellent job.
Agreed, that one was great. They told a complete story with humour and style.

I wish we could have seen all of the shorts, maybe they have them on line.
Ooh, wicked; they have them right here.

Last edited:

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
I loved the "frozen time" fx too ... but my issue (had I been on that team) would've been: "we're putting all our eggs in the one FX guy's basket"

It's not even an issue over the gamble on "can he do it in 24 hours?" so much as ... the Judges will know we were riding on his coat tails, right? So he'll get through and we'll be stuck be judged on the 'simple camera work' that made it possible for him to shine via his (not the other 2 guys') mad FX skillz.

I'm sooooo happy that the raving egotist guy (who kept shoving his littler team mate aside) got booted: I hate that guy. All weepy and "I'm using these crappy digital cameras ... boohoohoo" Black eyes to you, nazi, we'd all have loved to have you shot, and most wouldn't have been half the jerk you were!

I wanted to cry for the girl who got booted because the snotty DP messed up her visuals ...

I really think it's bad that the Directors are being so rushed ("You have a half hour to go plan your next shoot and then one hour to shoot, and you haven't slept for 48 hours! And did we tell you about the rabid weasel we will sew inside your body cavity? Now ... GO!")

Please: yes, there's "pressure" in shooting ... but there's also the fact that some greatly creative people only show it if you let them be quiet and think, okay? This should be about creativity, not Trumpian bosses setting impossible tasks that weed out the artistry and the contemplative creator.

It's the whole "medical intern on a 36 hour shift" problem: I want my life protected by someone who's had some sleep ... I don't care how "tough" they are.

Anyway ... hope we'll see more of the films and more actually process, not the "survivor island" headgames = ratings schtick.

Love the show. Not sure it has a chance in hell of big ratings success. I'd bet $100 that many (many) of us could've designed a better, more entertaining, more enlightening show.

Guy like Spielberg, I know he's busy, but c'mon ... do the studio suits screw around with his ideas too, or is this just the show Spielberg wanted to make?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good points about speed vs creativity, and I totally dig what you mean about the 36 hour shift.

I'm betting that the majority of directors working in Hollywood have crazy schedules and money guys breathing down their necks all the time, so while what they're putting these kids through is extreme, I think what they're looking for in the final 18 are those people who can be creative while under the gun. Just my take on the tasks they've been given so far.

I'm sooooo happy that the raving egotist guy (who kept shoving his littler team mate aside) got booted
I was glad to see him turfed too. What a jerk. All you have to do is look at the extras on a few DVDs to see that most successful directors are nowhere near that condescending. How the heck are you supposed to get the best effort from someone if you make them hate you?

Anyway ... hope we'll see more of the films and more actually process, not the "survivor island" headgames = ratings schtick.
Me too.

Last edited:

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Um, okay, I was writing in fragments above ("Hey! I haven't slept in 48 hours, and they sewed a rabid weasel in my body cavity!") but this one wasn't an immediately-obvious typo, so I need to clarify:

I'm sooooo happy that the raving egotist guy (who kept shoving his littler team mate aside) got booted: I hate that guy. All weepy and "I'm using these crappy digital cameras ... boohoohoo" Black eyes to you, nazi, we'd all have loved to have you shot, and most wouldn't have been half the jerk you were!

I meant to write "We'd all love to have your shot" [at being in the competition] ...

While his team mates may have wanted to have him actually 'shot' ... myself, I just meant I was glad to see him booted off the show. I wasn't advocating anyone's assassination.

Yet. ;)

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What was your favorite short that they premired last night?

I liked Danger Zone and Dance Man. The majority of shorts were well made but it seemed to me that those shorts that told a story were the best... concept was king.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I liked Dance man too, and what was the one called where the cop pulled aside those aliens? I thought that was cute.

Did anyone else get a little tired of Gary Marshall explaining to the women how it was their job to bring a female perspective to everything they filmed? Aren't women allowed to just, you know, make a movie?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No kidding! He kept on like having a woman director would be this amazing new thing. Um, Gary ... your sister Penny? Or Amy Heckerling (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)? Hello?

I also liked that mister 'I don't need no stinkin' film school' made probably the worst one of the bunch.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Egads!

1 - why is Kenny still there?

2 - how the heck did "Get a Rhoom" make it into the top three?