The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Saga Edit (Gary Pennock)

Saga Edit (Gary Pennock)

Does anyone have any information on this agent? Or has anyone worked with him before? The link from WritersNet leads to his company that primarily edits manuscripts and translates them into english, but a google search showed that he is a literary agent. He requested a full manuscript (but not exclusive) from a friend of mine, and I just want to make sure he is legit and has actual sales. His email to her sounded prefessional and he suggested a minor change and requested the full. This all happened within a week of her sending the first query to him.
    Any information?
    http://www.writers.net/agents/53461 link to WritersNet

www.linkedin.com/in/sagaedit link to his web page.

Thanks for any help.

He's not listed on preditors and editors or Agent Query. The website is an editing service with no mention of being a literary agency.

I would rate it as 'no way in hell I would even send a partial'.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    According to his profile at Linkedin, he's an English teacher at Kyiv Polytechnical Institute and has a distance learning degree from Bridgewater University. I see no indication that he's qualified to be a literary agent--especially given that he's located in the Ukraine, and therefore would have difficulty establishing and maintaining business relationships with editors overseas. There's no sign of any sales.

- Victoria

The only red flag that popped up for me (and I'm not nearly as experienced as some of you) was the editing service. He clearly states that there will no charges incurred to the author without written permission, that he will get paid only when the author gets paid. But, I'm wondering it may be a trap and after the contract is signed, if he will suggest the editing service. But then again, he says the editing service is free for clients, yet because of confidentiality, won't give any names of clients.

Quote Originally Posted by czjaba View Post
    The only red flag that popped up for me (and I'm not nearly as experienced as some of you) was the editing service. He clearly states that there will no charges incurred to the author without written permission, that he will get paid only when the author gets paid. But, I'm wondering it may be a trap and after the contract is signed, if he will suggest the editing service. But then again, he says the editing service is free for clients, yet because of confidentiality, won't give any names of clients.
    (emphasis mine) That right there should be all you need to know. If he's made sales for his clients that information is going to be public, so confidentiality doesn't really apply.
    Eggplant Literary Productions,
    A small electronic speculative fiction publisher.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    So does any of this mean that it would be a bad idea to send a full manuscript to him?

Quote Originally Posted by kali_weim View Post
    So does any of this mean that it would be a bad idea to send a full manuscript to him?
    I think most of it means it would be a bad idea.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Agents who claim their client lists are confidential are generally a bad idea.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    The WN page now reads:
    N.B. Unfortunately we are unable to accept any new clients at present. We are not accepting any unsolicited manuscripts or queries at this moment. Sorry for any inconvenience
    ...but there is no such notice on his website: http://www.saga-edit.com/main.htm.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Per his CV at: http://www.linkedin.com/in/garypennock, Saga Edit closed Nov '07. No immediate sign of new incarnation.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: