The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Don Congdon Associates

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Agency] Don Congdon Associates

This is my first time posting here, I hope I'm doing this correctly.

Anyway, I sent a query to Don Congdon Associates about my novel. They requested a partial, which I sent. Then I heard nothing until this morning, when Ms. Rubino-Bradway said she wanted to see the full manuscript. However, she's not listed anywhere when I googled the agents who work for DGA. Does this mean she is simply a new/junior agent, or have the websites I visited simply not updated their listings in a while?

I'm sure I have nothing to worry about, but, well, I'm a paranoid person. So I thought it best just to make entirely sure, so if anyone has any information about Ms. Rubino-Bradway, I'd really appreciate it.
    "All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream." Edgar Allan Poe

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandWolf View Post
    Then I heard nothing until this morning, when Ms. Rubino-Bradway said she wanted to see the full manuscript. However, she's not listed anywhere when I googled the agents who work for DGA. Does this mean she is simply a new/junior agent, or have the websites I visited simply not updated their listings in a while?

I'm sure I have nothing to worry about, but, well, I'm a paranoid person. So I thought it best just to make entirely sure, so if anyone has any information about Ms. Rubino-Bradway, I'd really appreciate it.

You're doing fine. It's probably as you said, a new/junior agent, or possibly an assistant to one of the agents at the agency.

Found this on her (from 2003, mind you):

"Caitlen was named to the Dean's List and completed her final semester with a straight A average. At Rosemont's May 17[,2003] commencement ceremony, Caitlen was the recipient of the Margarete Humphrey's Award for Creative Writing. Following an internship with Tor Books in New York City, Caitlen will enter the Masters program in Publishing at Rosemont College."

Couldn't find anything else on her, but a good sign is that internship she did at Tor.

Good luck!

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Hi, Lois and thanks for the info. Just for clarity, what exactly is Caitlen's position with Congdon? Is she an assistant or a junior agent?

Thanks so much.

PS. As soon as I saw the name Rubino, I thought "Oh, like the Cat Austen books!" LOL. Funny how small the world truly is.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Thanks for the info about your niece, Lois. As it turned out I got rejected, but Caitlen was very nice about it, saying she enjoyed reading about the character's journey, but she just didn't think it was right for the agency. So yes, a blow to me, but at least she was nice enough to give me some nice feedback.
    "All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream." Edgar Allan Poe

I don't know anything about the agent but Congdon is noted in a list of chronic nonresponsive agencies in another thread. I never submitted here so no personal experience.
    GT

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Montage's Avatar

Katie Kotchman and Don Congdon Assoc.

I can't seem to find much on this agency (other than a UK office?) but Agent Query has an update of Katie Kotchman coming on board with this agency. Anyone heard of/worked with them?

Thanks for the info!

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGinaT View Post
    I don't know anything about the agent but Congdon is noted in a list of chronic nonresponsive agencies in another thread. I never submitted here so no personal experience.
    GT
    For me they are average or better than average. Over the past two years I've had two non-responses, two rejections, and two full requests, one of which is still live.

Quote Originally Posted by Montage View Post
    Agent Query has an update of Katie Kotchman coming on board with [Congdon].

I just noticed that the Congdon agency shares office space with Denise Marcil Literary Agency (and also Dunham Literary), so moving from Marcil to Congdon isn't a big deal. She might even have kept her desk.

Somewhere in the hills.... Appalachian Writer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGinaT View Post
    GT
    I submitted. Nothing. Chronic non-responsive.
    Remember; GONE WITH THE WIND was rejected 132 times!

http://wkeverhart.blogspot.com
    http://raphaelsvillage.com/
    working revisions:
    book 1...now at 97,702 complete! finished.
    book 2...now at 40,551

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]
    Quote Originally Posted by Montage View Post
    Agent Query has an update of Katie Kotchman coming on board with [Congdon].
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth View Post
    I just noticed that the Congdon agency shares office space with Denise Marcil Literary Agency (and also Dunham Literary), so moving from Marcil to Congdon isn't a big deal. She might even have kept her desk.

I queried (hard copy) Katie Kotchman at Denise Marcil Literary Agency on March 5, 2008[COLOR=black]. I got an email on April 23 requesting I send my book proposal and sample chapters to her at the Denise Marcil Agency.

"The Denise Marcil Literary Agency, Don Congdon Associates, and Dunham Literary have formed an alliance. Although each of these companies still remains separate, they have created an alliance to share office space and combine back office activities." http://dunhamlit.com/:

I called Katie and she said that she is now working for Congdon.
    Last edited by AuthorTony; 04-26-2008 at 01:29 AM.

[Agent] Katie Kotchman

PM has no deals for Katie Kotchman.

Has anyone dealt with her or does anyone know anything about her?
    Last edited by AuthorTony; 04-26-2008 at 01:26 AM.

I heard from Katie Kotchman about a month after sending an equery and she requesting my full manuscript. She's hard to find any information on.

*edit* She does have sales. I found a couple of her clients through Google, and a Publisher's Marketplace article with a sale in it. I can't read it since I don't have a subscription, though.
    Last edited by Mythica; 07-03-2008 at 08:20 AM.
    http://www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com/
    http://courtney-allison.blogspot.com/
    http://twitter.com/camoulton

Author of the ANGELFIRE series from HarperCollins / Katherine Tegen Books

ANGELFIRE (2.15.2011)
    WINGS OF THE WICKED (2.1.2011)
    Angelfire #3 (TBA 2013)

Katie Kochman

Quote Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
    I heard from Katie Kotchman about a month after sending an equery and she requesting my full manuscript. She's hard to find any information on.

*edit* She does have sales. I found a couple of her clients through Google, and a Publisher's Marketplace article with a sale in it. I can't read it since I don't have a subscription, though.
    I tried Google and didn't find anything--what search terms did you use? I emailed her a query last Tuesday and she asked for the full today (Monday).

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Try "by Katie Kotchman at", with quotes.

(Google-fu move #5,829: "by [agent] at" is a great way to pull up PM announcements. You won't be able to read the full text unless you sub to PM, but it'll prove existence, which is half the battle.)
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I've submitted to Kotchman at Marcil and she was easy to work with. I may send her a query of the latest project I worked on all winter and just completed. I contacted Congdon recently for another reason and learned that Rubino-Bradway isn't there anymore?
    I don't subscribe to PM yet; too expensive right now for a starving artist but have several ways to extract info. using several search engines. I won't post them here; email me for info.
    BTW, how did the subject line of this thread get changed from "Caitlen Rubino-Bradway" to "[Agency] Don Congdon Associates"?
    GT

Beach sand in his ear ... AussieBilly's Avatar

A broken link and a broken heart ...

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorTony View Post
    [color=black][font=Verdana]

I queried (hard copy) Katie Kotchman at Denise Marcil Literary Agency on March 5, 2008[color=black]. I got an email on April 23 requesting I send my book proposal and sample chapters to her at the Denise Marcil Agency.

"The Denise Marcil Literary Agency, Don Congdon Associates, and Dunham Literary have formed an alliance. Although each of these companies still remains separate, they have created an alliance to share office space and combine back office activities." http://dunhamlit.com/:

I called Katie and she said that she is now working for Congdon.
    Okay, after all on this thread I'm still not clear who to query? Don Congdon or Katie Kotchman and where? at Don Congdon Associates, Denise Marcil L.A. or Dunham Literary?

By the way the above link is broken ... it'll get you a 404 Not Found error message.

Ah, well, never mind. To make my life simpler I think I'll pass on these folk and find some other agency to bother.

Keep Writing ...

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    That link has an extra ":" in it. http://dunhamlit.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Anyone hear anything from Katie Kotchman recently? I sent a partial out to her a little while ago.

Just wondering, hope everyone's feeling and writing well!

Molly

I'm a little confused about how these three agencies work together. Katie Kotchman works for Don Congdon, correct? Has anyone had dealings with Maura-Kye Casella? I thought she worked for that agency as well, but AgentQuery has her listed as being at Denise Marcil which is the same or not the same? And if you query one, can you query the other?

Anyone have any knowledge or experience about this?
    "Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."

Current WIP: 2k / 80k written
    Short Stories Out: 2

Youtube - Twitter - Blog -
    Facebook

This is my understanding, but I could be way off so someone else may correct me. From what I gather, they are three different agencies that shares the same resources to reduce costs.

Gor example, maybe some of the office space, or staff, but as far as agents and agenies, they would be thier own entities. I would guess that while they share costs, they might not share revenues.

Do they pass along queries they might think is a better fit for another agent? Not sure. But, if you query an agent for a project, maybe you should wait until you hear back or enough time passes before you query another agent in that group for the same project just in case.

Just my theory, hope it helps.
    Mark

Want to learn about ETFs? Yours truly is the About.com Guide for Exchange Traded Funds.

I'm also the CEO of SEOM Interactive a Philadelphia SEO Company and I tweet at @markkennedysem

Quote Originally Posted by K-Mark View Post
    Do they pass along queries they might think is a better fit for another agent? Not sure. But, if you query an agent for a project, maybe you should wait until you hear back or enough time passes before you query another agent in that group for the same project just in case.

I had fulls requested by agents in two of these agencies within a few weeks of each other. I let the second one know about the potential conflict, and she said it was no problem. Bottom line, these are different agencies, so I wouldn't worry about querying one agent from each.

K-Mark and Julie - Thanks! That's helpful. *adds another agent to trusty spreadsheet*

Facebook

practical experience, FTW TheWritingRunner's Avatar
    When I was submitting my novel, Michael Congdon did not reply to my query I sent in September before the three agents offered representation, so I don't have anything to add.
    check out my blog at http://thewritingrunner.wordpress.com to read more about my views on the world of publishing AND my efforts to get back in running shape

Hi all. I emailed Katie Kotchman to ask about the potential conflict. She said that both she and Maura Kye-Casella now both work at Don Congdon. I don't believe either Agent Query or Query Tracker reflects this so it's something to keep in mind when querying these agents.

Facebook

Thanks for the clarification Jen!

My correspondences with Katie Kotchman have been very pleasant. She passed on my first project, but gave excellent thoughts about the manuscript. She was very willing to read my second project. She seems very nice and professional.

No bad things to say here
    http://www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com/
    http://courtney-allison.blogspot.com/
    http://twitter.com/camoulton

Author of the ANGELFIRE series from HarperCollins / Katherine Tegen Books

ANGELFIRE (2.15.2011)
    WINGS OF THE WICKED (2.1.2011)
    Angelfire #3 (TBA 2013)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast