Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simply Nonfiction Literary Agency / May Writers' Group (Michele Glance Rooney aka Shelly May)

hopscotch2da

Simply Nonfiction Literary Agency / May Writers' Group (Michele Glance Rooney aka Shelly May)

The director is Michele Glance Rooney, looking for any info, fast
    :eek

underthecity

Re: Has anyone heard of Simply Nonfiction Literary Agency???

Hopscotch,

Preditors and Editors lists Simply Nonfiction as a fee-charging agency, and is NOT recommended. Preditors and Editors

Scroll down to Simply Nonfiction and you'll see it.

Keep looking for an agent that doesn't charge fees.

Good luck!

underthecity

vstrauss

Re: Has anyone heard of Simply Nonfiction Literary Agency???

This is the new name of Creative Literary Agency, which charged a $45/mo representation fee (the whole annual amount due on contract signing) and as far as I know, had no sales.

- Victoria

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Red face Simply Nonfiction Agency

Greetings Fellow Wordsmiths!

I think I'm in love. After a year of painful rejections (I've come to enjoy, actually ) of letters, cards, packets, and e-mail queries, somebody finally wants my whole 400-page manuscript. But, alas, I have grown wary, having bought more than a few rare reams and jewel-colored ink jet cartridges. It was just a little e-mail. And now I'm going to be famous? Was I too forward or what? Anybody know this agency, up in Franklin, Michigan?

Cheers, Kree (Now you know the rest of the story.)
    I should be starting the Lexmark print run now before dark sets in, instead of making clever coments, shouldn't I?
    Last edited by Kree Atv Khurz; 03-30-2005 at 04:29 AM.

Red face Simply Nonfiction Agency

Anybody know these folks? Thanks, Kree

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Thumbs down

According to P&E, they're a fee charger. I suggest checking out all agents and pubs here first: http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubagent.htm
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

Anotherealm's Preditors and Editors listing says this:
    Simply Nonfiction Literary Agency (formerly Creative Literary Agency): Charges fee. Not recommended.
    In other words, be careful. Good luck.

Torin
    Last edited by Torin; 03-30-2005 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Add url for prededitors link
    I have a mind like a steel...thingmabob...you know...doohickey.

http://www.cebarrett.com for excerpts from "Angels Among Us" and more. What if you were a closet heterosexual? What would you do when you met the woman of your dreams?

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Re: Simply Nonfiction: Writer Beware has gotten recent reports of upfront fees due on contract signing ($100-150) plus monthly billings of between $40 and $50. This was also Ms. Rooney's M.O. with Creative Literary.

We haven't been able to find any commercial sales for this agency, under either of its names.

- Victoria
    Last edited by victoriastrauss; 04-05-2005 at 08:31 PM.

Any reason for two threads on this? http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9745 is the same topic and starter? Or did you doubleclick the submit key?? Kree, I'm not sure but I think you *might* be able to delete the other one... or just edit it anyway

marty
    Be Wery Wery Qwiet, I'm Hunting Sockpuppets
    You must be as smart as this stick -> |
    to use the internet |

Thanks for the good help.

Torin and Victoria,
    I asked the agent several questions to which she has not responded. Yes, it may just be an on-line library card or paper recycling shop.
    Marty,
    Sorry about the duplication. I am dangerous: an old editor, worked in early computer development, have little respect for the keys, and started on desktops before there was an Internet. I haven't found out yet how to delete threads. Do you know? I'll probably need to do a lot of that.
    Kree(tin)

tuttle

Question Anyone know of Michele Rooney out of Michigan?

Anyone know of her?
    Is she a good agent?

She's discussed on another thread.

- Victoria

Michele Rooney Literary Agency

This agency just request my manuscript (no fee). Anyone heard of them?

A google search turns up very little, just her name and her literary agency. I'd go ahead but proceed with caution and keep us updated.

Absolutely Fazed
    I didn't find much else either. A claim that she adheres to AAR guidelines and only charges a 10% commission, but that's it. My suspicion would be whether she's had any sales, since I couldn't find any listed.

Please, folks, do a search before asking about an agent. There are at least three other recent threads dealing with Michele Rooney and Simply Nonfiction.

The most informative one is here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...435#post138435

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
    Please, folks, do a search before asking about an agent. There are at least three other recent threads dealing with Michele Rooney and Simply Nonfiction.

The most informative one is here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...435#post138435

- Victoria
    Sorry! I did do a search on"Michele Rooney Literary Agency" on google and nothing came up.

Maybe we should index this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Eussie
    Maybe we should index this forum?
    There's a Search function at the top of the page. It's also easy to flip back a few pages to see if a topic has been mentioned recently.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux
    There's a Search function at the top of the page. It's also easy to flip back a few pages to see if a topic has been mentioned recently.

Sheesh... I was only making a suggestion on how to avoid double posts. I missed the one a few posts down. Obviously I'm not the only one doing it if Victoria had to start the post with "Please folks..."

I've been here a few weeks so I don't mind a slap on the wrist, but what about the brand newbies? They don't know about the search features and the protocols and such. They're just looking for help and I thought a topic index would be a good place for them to start looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Eussie
    Sheesh... I was only making a suggestion on how to avoid double posts. I missed the one a few posts down. Obviously I'm not the only one doing it if Victoria had to start the post with "Please folks..."

I've been here a few weeks so I don't mind a slap on the wrist, but what about the brand newbies? They don't know about the search features and the protocols and such. They're just looking for help and I thought a topic index would be a good place for them to start looking.
    Sorry, didn't mean it as a "slap", just pointing out what seemed to be overlooked. Heck, I'll volunteer to do an index, if Victoria would like one.
    ICAO
    ---------

Sorry, didn't mean it as a "slap", just pointing out what seemed to be overlooked. Heck, I'll volunteer to do an index, if Victoria would like one.
    Or maybe just an info post at the top of the forum.

I would offer to do it myself but I am getting ready for my math finals.

Absolutely Fazed
    The advanced search feature is only showing those two threads started this week. A look back through the forum would not come across it if you didn't know her agency was called Simply Nonfiction.

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    Also, regarding Google searches, I've found it very helpful to put only an agent's name in quote marks, followed by "literary agency" (not in quote marks). You may get more Web info on the agent that way.
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

An index would be incredibly useful, especially if it were updated from time to time. I wouldn't dare ask anyone to take on that onerous task, but if some suck...um, wonderful and enlightened person would volunteer, I wouldn't say no.

As for searching, I meant searching here. There's a search button at the top of the topic. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the old AW threads, unless they've been updated since they were ported over here.

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
    As for searching, I meant searching here. There's a search button at the top of the topic. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the old AW threads, unless they've been updated since they were ported over here.

- Victoria
    Perfect reason for an index, since I don't think we'd want to go through and ping all the old threads. And it shouldn't be a problem to update it every couple weeks. Consider this data mined.

<invoke Murphy’s Law> Shouldn't take more than a couple days. </invoke Murphy's Law>
    ICAO
    ---------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast