• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Waxman Literary Agency (formerly Waxman Leavell Literary Agency)

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd let anyone know who may be waiting on Holly Root at Trident...she's now at Scott Waxman's agency. I believe as of 05/02/2007.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I've already queried Holly at Waxman. I received a request for a partial within a day and then a std rejection within a week. She certainly seems to be turning her queries around quickly at the moment.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Waylander:
Did you use Waxman's "online form" or did you snail mail Holly at her attention at Waxman? Only reason I ask is it looks like their website prefers us to use the online form.
Rob

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I emailed Holly at Waxman--using her email address, not the online form--and received a request for a partial within a few hours. It took her 11 days to email me a personalized rejection, but her feedback was really amazing and came down to a matter of narrative style. She gets a huge thumbs up from me.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
E-mailed her at the address on Agentquery

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's helpful info, aadams & waylander!

The fact that she requested partials and you didn't use the online form tells me maybe she's willing to look past a few transgressions when it comes to not strictly adhering to the guidelines.

MKL1025

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my personal experience with Holly. I e-queried her for my commercial women's fiction piece on 5/23. I received an email from her the same day, asking for a partial. Then, on 5/24 she asked for the full manuscript, which I sent via email.

Today (5/31), she called and offered me representation! She was wonderful to talk to on the phone and made me feel right at ease. I'm pretty sure I blabbered on like an idiot for awhile but she didn't seem to mind. :) She said she read the piece over the weekend and loved it, but wanted to do some research as to where she would pitch it.

Seriously, she seems like a dream and I can't wait to work with her. Good luck to everyone who has a partial or full with her!

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
Today (5/31), she called and offered me representation! She was wonderful to talk to on the phone and made me feel right at ease. I'm pretty sure I blabbered on like an idiot for awhile but she didn't seem to mind. :) She said she read the piece over the weekend and loved it, but wanted to do some research as to where she would pitch it.

Much congratulations! Here's to hoping she finds you a fantastic editor who loves your work!! :partyguy:

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my personal experience with Holly. I e-queried her for my commercial women's fiction piece on 5/23. I received an email from her the same day, asking for a partial. Then, on 5/24 she asked for the full manuscript, which I sent via email.

Seriously, she seems like a dream and I can't wait to work with her. Good luck to everyone who has a partial or full with her!

Hey, MKL1025, you go girl! :hooray: :e2woo:

Oops, what if you're a guy? Oh, what the heck! That's exciting news.
As Jack Aubrey would say: "I wish you joy, Sir (or Madame)! A glass of wine with you?"

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Report on Holly: Sent a query, got a request for a chapter within a day. She just rejected (about two weeks), but was nice, pleasant, lovely, etc. In the interim, I sent her a question in re matters regarding the ms and a publisher and she gave me a good, informed response.

She gets my thumbs up on responsiveness and overall professional attitude. I wish we could have coincided our universes.

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering - those who emailed Holly, did you all email her directly, or use the form on the Waxman site?

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
I emailed directly, and got a very nice personalized (I think) rejection a day or two afterwards. Never fails to impress me when the agent takes the time to write out a personal note.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
So has anyone used the website form? I sent her a query via the form yesterday.

jurched

Registered
Reaction score
Based on the hubub here, I just sent a query to Byrd Leavell, one of Holly's associates at waxman. Can't tell if he's as engaging as Holly, but his description sounds a touch closer to what I'm looking for.

J

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to her Aug. 23, and she got back to me today, four days later, with a request for a partial. She was very nice in the note, too.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
I looked at their site. They seem to like NF, but that's just a guess on my part because I could not find anywhere that outlined their individual preferences.

A lot of agents claim they get queried inappropriately by authors seeking representation for genres they don't represent. Now, I may be just an underpublished writer, but I always thought the whole point of writing was to communicate. If you don't tell authors what you do want, why blame them when they query you for things you don't want?

rebobinar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysteryrobin.blogspot.com
Just wanted to add that I queried Holly via her e-mail address after reading this thread (instead of using the online form). That was on 11/29, and I just got a request for a partial today, 12/14. WOOO!!!

elknutswife

Obsessive Email Checker
Registered
Reaction score
I also queried her via her email back in October and received a partial request. It was just rejected last night but with a very nice, personal email.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent Holly a partial today.

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who had been asked to submit have you received anything yet? I hoping that someone's ms is picked up.