The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Waxman Leavell Literary Agency (formerly Waxman Literary Agency)

Waxman Leavell Literary Agency (formerly Waxman Literary Agency)

Just thought I'd let anyone know who may be waiting on Holly Root at Trident...she's now at Scott Waxman's agency. I believe as of 05/02/2007.
    Last edited by rwam; 11-17-2007 at 06:54 PM.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I've already queried Holly at Waxman. I received a request for a partial within a day and then a std rejection within a week. She certainly seems to be turning her queries around quickly at the moment.

Waylander:
    Did you use Waxman's "online form" or did you snail mail Holly at her attention at Waxman? Only reason I ask is it looks like their website prefers us to use the online form.
    Rob

I emailed Holly at Waxman--using her email address, not the online form--and received a request for a partial within a few hours. It took her 11 days to email me a personalized rejection, but her feedback was really amazing and came down to a matter of narrative style. She gets a huge thumbs up from me.

Website | Blog | Openings That Work | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook | Google+

WHITE HORSE, coming April 17 (US/Canada), April 24 (Australia), and April 26 (UK), 2012 from Emily Bestler Books/Atria (Simon & Schuster).

E-mailed her at the address on Agentquery

Wow, that's helpful info, aadams & waylander!

The fact that she requested partials and you didn't use the online form tells me maybe she's willing to look past a few transgressions when it comes to not strictly adhering to the guidelines.

Woo-Hoo, Ziljon!

May a contract be in your very near future!

Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    Woo-Hoo, Ziljon!
    I love that expression. I hope I can use it one day.

Oh, what the heck...

Woo-Hoo!
    . . . but what he loved was her loving it, her slightly spurious way of loving things which seemed lovable. (-Walker Percy)

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my personal experience with Holly. I e-queried her for my commercial women's fiction piece on 5/23. I received an email from her the same day, asking for a partial. Then, on 5/24 she asked for the full manuscript, which I sent via email.

Today (5/31), she called and offered me representation! She was wonderful to talk to on the phone and made me feel right at ease. I'm pretty sure I blabbered on like an idiot for awhile but she didn't seem to mind. She said she read the piece over the weekend and loved it, but wanted to do some research as to where she would pitch it.

Seriously, she seems like a dream and I can't wait to work with her. Good luck to everyone who has a partial or full with her!

In a state of denial...
    Quote Originally Posted by MKL1025 View Post
    Today (5/31), she called and offered me representation! She was wonderful to talk to on the phone and made me feel right at ease. I'm pretty sure I blabbered on like an idiot for awhile but she didn't seem to mind. She said she read the piece over the weekend and loved it, but wanted to do some research as to where she would pitch it.

Much congratulations! Here's to hoping she finds you a fantastic editor who loves your work!!

Quote Originally Posted by MKL1025 View Post
    Hi all,

I just wanted to share my personal experience with Holly. I e-queried her for my commercial women's fiction piece on 5/23. I received an email from her the same day, asking for a partial. Then, on 5/24 she asked for the full manuscript, which I sent via email.

Seriously, she seems like a dream and I can't wait to work with her. Good luck to everyone who has a partial or full with her!
    Hey, MKL1025, you go girl!

Oops, what if you're a guy? Oh, what the heck! That's exciting news.
    As Jack Aubrey would say: "I wish you joy, Sir (or Madame)! A glass of wine with you?"
    . . . but what he loved was her loving it, her slightly spurious way of loving things which seemed lovable. (-Walker Percy)

practical experience, FTW
    Report on Holly: Sent a query, got a request for a chapter within a day. She just rejected (about two weeks), but was nice, pleasant, lovely, etc. In the interim, I sent her a question in re matters regarding the ms and a publisher and she gave me a good, informed response.

She gets my thumbs up on responsiveness and overall professional attitude. I wish we could have coincided our universes.

practical experience, FTW Legionsynch's Avatar
    I'm wondering - those who emailed Holly, did you all email her directly, or use the form on the Waxman site?
    My writing goals:

Witch Eyes: 1 offer of representation. (2 requests still pending)

A Love Lost Like Secrets Unseen - My Writing Blog

E-mailed her directly

Emailed directly.

practical experience, FTW Legionsynch's Avatar
    I emailed directly, and got a very nice personalized (I think) rejection a day or two afterwards. Never fails to impress me when the agent takes the time to write out a personal note.
    My writing goals:

Witch Eyes: 1 offer of representation. (2 requests still pending)

A Love Lost Like Secrets Unseen - My Writing Blog

So has anyone used the website form? I sent her a query via the form yesterday.
    YOUNG ADULT BOOKS:
    BREAK--Simon Pulse, 2009 BUY IT

INVINCIBLE SUMMER--Simon Pulse, 2011 BUY IT
    GONE, GONE, GONE--Coming APRIL 17th, 2012, Simon Pulse BUY IT
    TEETH--Coming JANUARY 1ST, 2013, Simon Pulse
    --
    MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:
    ZOMBIE TAG--Coming DECEMBER 20th, 2011, Roaring Brook Press BUY IT

MARCO IMPOSSIBLE--Coming MARCH 2013, Roaring Brook Press

figuring it all out
    Based on the hubub here, I just sent a query to Byrd Leavell, one of Holly's associates at waxman. Can't tell if he's as engaging as Holly, but his description sounds a touch closer to what I'm looking for.

J
    "No Violin! No reward! No Mercedes! Awww SH**!! Whatta YOU want?!" --Tyrone

practical experience, FTW Southern_girl29's Avatar
    I sent a query to her Aug. 23, and she got back to me today, four days later, with a request for a partial. She was very nice in the note, too.
    Querying: The Devil Herself -- Southern Gothic Young Adult

Outlining -- No title yet, but in the outlining phase.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Khazarkhum's Avatar
    I looked at their site. They seem to like NF, but that's just a guess on my part because I could not find anywhere that outlined their individual preferences.

A lot of agents claim they get queried inappropriately by authors seeking representation for genres they don't represent. Now, I may be just an underpublished writer, but I always thought the whole point of writing was to communicate. If you don't tell authors what you do want, why blame them when they query you for things you don't want?

practical experience, FTW rebobinar's Avatar
    Just wanted to add that I queried Holly via her e-mail address after reading this thread (instead of using the online form). That was on 11/29, and I just got a request for a partial today, 12/14. WOOO!!!

Obsessive Email Checker elknutswife's Avatar
    I also queried her via her email back in October and received a partial request. It was just rejected last night but with a very nice, personal email.
    "Just give it to me straight...what are my chances?"

"I'd say...about one in a million."

"So you're saying there's a chance! Yes!"

The Courtland Necklace/Treasured Lies:
    Queries Pending: 7
    Partials Pending: 2
    Fulls Pending: 0

WIP - 7,771/60,000

I just sent Holly a partial today.

For those of you who had been asked to submit have you received anything yet? I hoping that someone's ms is picked up.
    Honeycomb Writer

www.alexandthelamb.com
    my blog: http://carolinewilson.typepad.com
    www.myspace.com/carolinewilsonbooks
    -------------------------------
    Published: 1 Children's Book
    WIP: 1
    What would I have done differently before submitting my first work for publication?
    - Learn the art of writing
    - Join Absolutewrite
    - Research: publishing houses, agents, how the business works

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast