Formatting dual action and dialogue

DanMe

I'm using Final Draft (latest version). I can't figure out how to format dual dialogue and action - where the dialogue is lined side-by-side with the action.

There's gotta be a way to do it on Final Draft, I can't figure it out.
Any suggestions?

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I'm using Final Draft (latest version). I can't figure out how to format dual dialogue and action - where the dialogue is lined side-by-side with the action.

There's gotta be a way to do it on Final Draft, I can't figure it out.
Any suggestions?

1. Get two bits of dialogue stacked up one above the other like this:

......................JOHN
............Hey.

......................SUE
............'Sup.

2. Put your cursor on "JOHN" (the first of the two dialogues bits).

3. Pull down the drop down menu called "Format" and you will see "Dual Dialogue" at the bottom of that menu. Click it.

-------------

::EDIT::

Oops! That wasn't the question. (I need to read more thoroughly next time!)

Sounds like you want to use Final Draft AV. Totally different type of software from the regular Findal Draft. AV has one column for audio and one for video.

Either that or you just need to creatively intervweave lines of action between lines of dialogue.

Last edited:

scripter1

Article Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Kitchen table, parked in front of the computer.
I am not sure

WHY and what you want to do.

Action and dialog do not go side by side.
Action always has it's own line.

If it's an important enough action you put it in the action line.

NOW, you can (paren) small actions that are done DURING dialog in the dialog block.

DAN
Stop or I'll shoot!
(pulls gun)
I'll do it!

I've never seen an action and a dialog on the same line. Not unless it's a format typo or something.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
i believe it's only done for production reasons. no need to do it for a spec script.

DanielD

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! DanMe.... Hello also, to all the Ladies and Gentlemen, who offer so many wonderful insights on this forum.
In regards to how you would format dual dialogue,take a peek at the Page2Stage website. Hey! I'm not spruiking the product. Okay, maybe just a little.
Page2Stage is free,and contains many great functions,including the dual dialogue functionality you desire.
The downside is, they no longer have any "Tech support" available.
If your in a hurry,I'll give a brief explanation.
The characters speak in left and right downward columns , opposite each other.
Your action(descriptive passages) would simply be placed above or below the dialogue(s), as per standard formatting.
I have never heard of dual action before,though I feel you meant,formatting dual dialogue with Action(descriptive)passages.
I have only seen dual dialogue, from time to time.
It is used in plays,though in regards to screenplays, as Nikee Goddess stated, the usage of dual dialogue would not be common place.
Though, I am sure there are exceptions,where using dual dialogue, would be acceptable.
To PLOT DEVICE.
I have a trial download of Final Draft.
I tried out what you suggested from the Final Draft 7 help file,regarding dual dialogue.
I thought this may solve DanMe's issue,though I ended up with a dialogue box stating that "I was placing the curser in the Character Element,and that this was incorrect".
Oh well! it is a trial download afterall.
Good luck.
Daniel.

Last edited: