Red Flag Warning: Publisher Upheaval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
This is correct for Wild Rose Press. Generally from ebook to print is now going to be a 6mth delay. This isn't as it is putting them on par with most of the other publishers. I'm guessing it's due to sheer volume and nothing more.

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
Yep, true. One of the WRP co-owners sent out a detailed announcement about this a month or so ago. It's gotta be in the archives of one of the loops somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

ElleF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
members.aol.com
Allie, where did you hear that Wild Rose Press was pushing back their print releases? The last information I received was a print release eight weeks after the electronic release.

WRP announced early May that they were pushing back print releases to 6 months. My take? Someone there believes in sound business practices. They're hoping that in the 6 months your book is available digitally, it will defray some of the costs involved in going to print.

Proactive instead of reactive works for me!

kayscribe

Registered
Reaction score
From the Horse's Mouth

Just to set the record straight about The Wild Rose Press pushing back e-to-print timeframe. I am quoting Rhonda Penders, Executive Administrator of The Wild Rose Press on this issue. Any concerns, questions, can be directed to her. Her email is listed at www.thewildrosepress.com :)

Response from Rhonda Penders, Executive Administrator/Publisher
The Wild Rose Press, Inc., regarding recent changes in their e-to-print timeframe from 3 months to 6 months:

"The reason we did this was not biting off more than we can chew, just the opposite. The very very real honest reason for doing this was simple. Royalties for authors. Authors make money on e-sales, they make very very little on print. By releasing our books shortly after our electronic books we were actually hurting our authors by giving them very little electronic sales. It's simply a lesson we learned after our first year in business. We decided what we would try is that we would release a novel in say, June, and then release it in print six months later giving the author time to promote esales and make money.

Now is that to say that if you don't want those esales, we'll release you sooner? No, we have to have some continuity across the board. I will say that everyone is still going to print unlike some houses. I will also say that everyone who had already been given a print release date is still being released in print on schedule, we also accommodated many authors who had conferences and signings coming up and needed the print book.

I will answer anyone's questions on this. I hope this explained it and alleviated fears."

And Robin was correct. An official statement explaining this was posted on their Authors Only loop, so all their authors were made aware of this change and the reasons behind it. :)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Unfortunately, I joined the loop afterward, so I hadn't received the notice. I posed the question on the forum, and they updated it accordingly. The disappointment is slowly ebbing. I understand their reasons, but I still wanted to hold my book in my hot little hands. Oh, well, lots of Christmas gifts in store.

Status
Not open for further replies.