The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Diane Banks Associates, Ltd.

banned as an incurable tosspot

[Agency] Diane Banks Associates, Ltd.

Has anyone dealt with this agent or have any information? She isn't listed on P&E and I can't find a website for her. She's listed in the following places.

http://www.writersservices.com/agent...?AgentID=19607
    http://www.londonbookfair.co.uk/page.../ExhibID=02210

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Okay. Go to those links and find her list of authors. It's repeated several times, so you shouldn't have trouble finding it. Check that list against Amazon. See what kind of books they are and who published them. If you don't recognize the names of the publishing houses, drop by a large bookstore and see if you can find books published by those houses on the bookstore shelves. Then come back and tell us what you've found.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

Okay, will do that.

Okay, been there, done that. Banks says she represents literary fiction but the authors appear to be writers of non-fiction.

Doesn't help much.

Where did I put me specs? euclid's Avatar

Looks a bit thin

Quote Originally Posted by Carmy View Post
    Okay, been there, done that. Banks says she represents literary fiction but the authors appear to be writers of non-fiction.

Doesn't help much.
    I sent a submission to this lot, then I did some research (Yeah, I know). They list five authors: John Rodgers, Elizabeth Burton-Phillips, Hannah Sandling, Brian Cox and Tacy Culletan.

The only John Rogers I could find was "For the Love of my Mother" by J.P. Rodgers (a memoire, I think).

Elizabeth Burton-Phillips wrote a book about what drugs did to her family (her twin sons, in particular). Another memoire. She is now a drugs counsellor and gives talks (in the UK) about the problem.

Hannah Sandling is a young TV presenter. She has published a book. I assume it's chiclit or autobiog.

Brian Cox may be a physics professor, who writes popular science, or he may be the actor. I haven't found any book by the actor.

I drew a blank with Tacy Culletan. There is an author called Tacy Culleton who has written (I think) three novels and several "how to get published" books.

If the agent cannot spell the name of one of her authors correctly...

I also found an agency called Elizabeth Banks, who seems to have the same authors on her books. She has a web url which leads through an advertisement (Spy fu) to a dead end.

I couldn't identify any of the publishers of these books.
    Last edited by euclid; 12-02-2008 at 04:36 PM.
    My web site http://www.jjtoner.net/
    I'm on Twitter @jjtoner_YA

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    The Bookseller has Diane Banks making a sale to Orion in July this year of Tara Moore's RSVP. Diana Banks Associates doesn't have its own website, but the following submission details are in the Writer's And Artist's Year Book:

Commercial fiction and non-fiction (home 15%, overseas 20%). Fiction: women's, crime, thrillers, Irish, literary fiction with a strong storyline. Non-fiction: memoir, real-life stories, celebrity, autobiography, biography, popular history, popular science, self-help, popular psychology, fashion, health & beauty. No poetry, children's, academic books, plays, scripts or short stories. Initial approach by email only. Send brief CV, synopsis and sample chapters as Word or PDF attachments. Aim to give initial response within 2 weeks. No reading fee. Will suggest revision.

Authors include J.P. Rodgers, Elizabeth Burton-Phillips, Alex Higgins, Andy Taylor (Duran Duran), Miss S, Elise Lindsay, Narinder Kaur and Godfrey Barker. Founded 2006.
    MM
    Last edited by Momento Mori; 12-02-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
    The Bookseller has Diane Banks making a sale to Orion in July this year of Tara Moore's RSVP. Diana Banks Associates doesn't have its own website, but the following submission details are in the Writer's And Artist's Year Book:

MM
    That was helpful. Thanks. Slightly different author list than the one online. I looked up Tara Moore on the web and found a US photographer. No sign of the author. I feel I know the name from somewhere. Is she a celeb?

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    euclid:
    I looked up Tara Moore on the web and found a US photographer. No sign of the author. I feel I know the name from somewhere. Is she a celeb?
    Absolutely no idea, I'm afraid. I see that there are celebities among the client base, so possible but I'm pretty clueless about such matters.

MM

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Perhaps useful: Her rights listing for Frankfurt 2008.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Incredible

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    Perhaps useful: Her rights listing for Frankfurt 2008.
    That was incredibly helpful. Presumably, the same sort of list is available for other agents. I'm off to see what I can find.

Taramo

Smile Re Diane Banks and Tara Moore

Hi there to all of you who were enquiring re the above. I am Tara Moore and definitely not a celebrity (not yet anyway). I am signed with Diane Banks, who is a very reputable agent and who started her career with Hodder. She decided to go it alone a few years ago and is certainly building up her client list. As for me, just like you I plugged away for years churning out book after book and always looking for the big break. I have three books previously published under 2 different names, but I am hoping RSVP with the might of Orion behind it, will be the 'one'. I think it's very easy to get disillusioned. We all know what a cut-throat industry the literary world has become and how sometimes you just feel like giving it all up. If it helps any, all I can say is been there and been on the brink of chucking it all in more times than I care to remember. I'm very glad I didn't and I just want to wish all you other scribes the very best of luck.

Tara Moore

Hi Tara, I read somewhere that RSVP is a "blockbuster". What does that mean?
    When will it be on the shelves?

Taramo

Good Question

A blockbuster seems to be the name publishers give to longer books - 130,000 - 150,000 words and upwards (though generally they do not like to go above 150,000 words as the books become very expensive to produce and could end up being unprofitable.

RSVP is not actually due to come out until 2010, but it is already on Amazon and the W H Smith site in order, presumably, to get it out of the Google 'sandbox' so that it is on the first search page when it is released. It seems an eternity away, but they know what they're doing, so I'm happy to leave it in the hands of the experts and more than happy simply to be the writer.

What are you working on and have you had any joy with publishers/agents?

Tara

She has a website now.
    http://www.dianebanks.co.uk/

Anyone dealt with this agency recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
    She has a website now.
    http://www.dianebanks.co.uk/

I'm subbing today. I'll let you know how I get on.

Quote Originally Posted by seun View Post
    I'm subbing today. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Rejection. At least it was quick.

Braving the query mountains Cel_Fleur's Avatar
    Equeried Kate Burke: 04/04/14 (huh - I didn't notice the abundance of fours there...)
    Form rejection: 12/04/14

Another pretty generic 'we are going to pass'. And, in case people were wondering, it looks like a no from one is a no from all; my r was signed by the agency, rather than Ms. Burke.
    On the other hand, just over a week's response is brilliant and I know their bigger deals are on some pretty different stuff from my genre, so I didn't really expect to be eagerly pounced upon. From the letter, the agency sounds polite and professional. I'd definitely head their way again.

~Fleur
    Silent by day; pretentious by night.

"What is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Currently...juggling the lives in my head.