• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Linda Chester Literary Agency / Linda Chester and Associates

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys! :) Has anyone worked with Linda Chester and Associates or does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks for the help guys!

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
I queried the agency last summer. Alexandra asked for a partial, then a full. Soon after I wrote her that I had accepted representation at another NYC agency, she sent a detailed and heartfelt response anyway. The agency is well established with big clients. Alexandra is relatively new and a recent law school grad, but very professional. Seems 100% legit. Good luck. g.

OohLaLaura

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her last week, and received an e-mail within 24 hours. Unfortunately, it was a 'no', but I was pleased with the response time.

Hopcus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiahopcus.com
I realize they don't do children's books, but what about a YA novel aimed at a older audience (17-25)? Is it even worth querying about?

talps

It's all happening...
Registered
Reaction score
I realize they don't do children's books, but what about a YA novel aimed at a older audience (17-25)? Is it even worth querying about?

I'd say it's not out of the question... Linda Fox reps Lolly Winston, whose first novel Good Grief was aimed at a slightly older demographic, yet still had a very youthful sensibility. Go forth & query - worst thing that could happen is the same thing that'll happen if you don't query, y'know?

As far as Ms. Machinist... Queried her last year, prompt request for 50pp, personalized rejection maybe 10 days later. Felt obvious to me that she's sincere & cares about what she's doing.

churchillgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Alexandra Machinist by email and got a reply in ten minutes asking for the first 50 pps of my novel. Alas, she passed on it but her rejection was personal, and sweet if such a thing can be said. I'd definitely query her with my next project.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Did you guys send to the submissions general email or directly to the agents? And what about Linda Chester herself, did anyone query her or just the other agents there? Thanks.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to the general email (the letter itself was individually addressed to Machinist) and received a form rejection in less than a week.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Anyone on this one? I noticed on the Publisher's market place Alexandra Machinist asked for query letter and first ten pages, on the Linda Chester website they ask for the query letter and a 1-2 page synopsis. Both say to send tothe submissions email. Which, if you don't mind telling, have you done?

Stlight

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
I started the cycle with an e-mail query, no pages or synopsis. But that was nine months ago, and the agent's initial druthers might have changed.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Stlight - I think you can do either or just send a query. Like everyone else here said, I sent to the submissions email.

Has anyone heard anything lately from them or have any (hopefully good) news to share?

River Rat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Confused

If an agency says they want a synopsis with the query isn't that what your supposed to send? I'm preparing to query Ms. Machinist and would rather just send the query letter...if I can get away with it.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Linda Chester/Alexandra

I e-mailed Linda Chester last night with a query & synopsis -- almost exactly 24 hours later, I received an e-mail from Alexandra telling me that Linda isn't taking new clients -- but that she, Alexandra, would love to read the first 50 pages or so my novel ...

River Rat

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! Hope she loves your stuff and offers to represent.:snoopy:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet!

Thanks for the good wishes, folks!

I read earlier on this thread that Alexandra is very sweet -- a sentiment that was reinforced, for me (at least), by the way she started her e-mail:

"Linda is no longer accepting new clients, but this sounds incredibly appealing to me and I would be delighted to take a look."

:Jump:

JennyCP

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennycoonpeterson.com
Alexandra Machinist had my partial for about a month and just requested a full. Does anyone know about how long she's been taking to get back to people with her response?