The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Linda Chester Literary Agency / Linda Chester and Associates

practical experience, FTW BrookieCookie777's Avatar

Linda Chester Literary Agency / Linda Chester and Associates

Hi, guys! Has anyone worked with Linda Chester and Associates or does anyone know anything about them?

Thanks for the help guys!

practical experience, FTW janetbellinger's Avatar
    The agency has sold books to Houghton Mifflin and other big publishesrs but are not now accepting unsolicited submissions
    Janet

Originality is nothing by judicious imitation. The most original writers borrowed one from another.
    Author:
    Voltaire

practical experience, FTW BrookieCookie777's Avatar
    Thanks Janet! =)

[Agency] Linda Chester & Associates

Does anyone have knowledge about Alexandra H. Machinist of the Linda Chester and Associates Literary Agency?
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

I queried the agency last summer. Alexandra asked for a partial, then a full. Soon after I wrote her that I had accepted representation at another NYC agency, she sent a detailed and heartfelt response anyway. The agency is well established with big clients. Alexandra is relatively new and a recent law school grad, but very professional. Seems 100% legit. Good luck. g.

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd MissLadyRae's Avatar
    I also queried last year and got a request for a partial. Although it was an eventual 'R' it was a polite and personal one and I'd definitely query again with another project.

Some links for ya:

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/AMachinist
    http://www.lindachester.net/about.shtml

Thanks for the info.
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

I queried her last week, and received an e-mail within 24 hours. Unfortunately, it was a 'no', but I was pleased with the response time.

practical experience, FTW Hopcus's Avatar
    I realize they don't do children's books, but what about a YA novel aimed at a older audience (17-25)? Is it even worth querying about?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopcus View Post
    I realize they don't do children's books, but what about a YA novel aimed at a older audience (17-25)? Is it even worth querying about?
    I'd say it's not out of the question... Linda Fox reps Lolly Winston, whose first novel Good Grief was aimed at a slightly older demographic, yet still had a very youthful sensibility. Go forth & query - worst thing that could happen is the same thing that'll happen if you don't query, y'know?

As far as Ms. Machinist... Queried her last year, prompt request for 50pp, personalized rejection maybe 10 days later. Felt obvious to me that she's sincere & cares about what she's doing.
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I queried Alexandra Machinist by email and got a reply in ten minutes asking for the first 50 pps of my novel. Alas, she passed on it but her rejection was personal, and sweet if such a thing can be said. I'd definitely query her with my next project.

Halfway between here and there Maui Author's Avatar
    I got a rejection today to my equery, but it was the nicest rejection I have received to date!
    Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who donít want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
    - Randy Pausch

practical experience, FTW
    Did you guys send to the submissions general email or directly to the agents? And what about Linda Chester herself, did anyone query her or just the other agents there? Thanks.

I sent a query to the general email (the letter itself was individually addressed to Machinist) and received a form rejection in less than a week.

Used general email; addressed letter to Ms. Machinist; form rejection in <24 hours.

ideas are floating where they will Stlight's Avatar
    where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
    Anyone on this one? I noticed on the Publisher's market place Alexandra Machinist asked for query letter and first ten pages, on the Linda Chester website they ask for the query letter and a 1-2 page synopsis. Both say to send tothe submissions email. Which, if you don't mind telling, have you done?

Stlight

I started the cycle with an e-mail query, no pages or synopsis. But that was nine months ago, and the agent's initial druthers might have changed.

practical experience, FTW
    Stlight - I think you can do either or just send a query. Like everyone else here said, I sent to the submissions email.

Has anyone heard anything lately from them or have any (hopefully good) news to share?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin River Rat's Avatar

I'm Confused

If an agency says they want a synopsis with the query isn't that what your supposed to send? I'm preparing to query Ms. Machinist and would rather just send the query letter...if I can get away with it.

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Linda Chester/Alexandra

I e-mailed Linda Chester last night with a query & synopsis -- almost exactly 24 hours later, I received an e-mail from Alexandra telling me that Linda isn't taking new clients -- but that she, Alexandra, would love to read the first 50 pages or so my novel ...
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin River Rat's Avatar
    Good for you! Hope she loves your stuff and offers to represent.

Very cool. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Sweet!

Thanks for the good wishes, folks!

I read earlier on this thread that Alexandra is very sweet -- a sentiment that was reinforced, for me (at least), by the way she started her e-mail:

"Linda is no longer accepting new clients, but this sounds incredibly appealing to me and I would be delighted to take a look."

"'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

practical experience, FTW JennyCP's Avatar
    Alexandra Machinist had my partial for about a month and just requested a full. Does anyone know about how long she's been taking to get back to people with her response?

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar
    I sent an email query with synopsis to the general address on Jan. 22nd (letter addressed to Alexandra Machinist) and got a request for 50 pages on Jan. 26th.

http://home.earthlink.net/~j.e.seymour

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast