Christian Writer's Conferences

FrankCreed

Registered
Reaction score
For Christian horror (or spiritual thriller, if you prefer that term), there is a wonderful conference held in Indianapolis: Mo*Con III.

This is not a strictly Christian group -- it is Christian and non-Christian. The conference is held at the Dwelling Place (church).

Special guests include Nick Mamatas, Mark Rainey, Lucy Snyder, Kim Paffenroth.

For more information and description of last year's conference check out Christian horror writer Maurice Broaddus' site.

TracyR

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tracyruckman.com
The Blue Ridge Christian Writer's Conference is also a great resource. They have a website and new this year, a blog, too.

I had hoped to attend this year (and last) but family obligations have prevented it.

They have a large conference in May, then a smaller, intense retreat in the fall.

They're also very affordable.

(No, I'm not receiving anything from this plug - I have just researched it because I want to go! :) )

Tracy

sdent1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.neverceese.com
I researched it too. Tons of good workshops! Just not a lot of options as far as pitching sessions go, at least not for me. Most, if not all of the publishers present are CBA or ECPA affilialted. I don't write for the conservative evangelical market. I understand a lot of Christian do though! :)

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
Anyone going to the AFCW conference in Minneapolis this coming September? I'm going as a conferencee and also with my sis as a sponsor with our new book trailer company. It will be my first AFCW conference. I've attended Mt. Hermon (3X) Glorietta (2X) and several years ago one they held at Seattle Pacific University(3X). I might try to make either Glorietta or one held closer to home here in Anaheim. Hope to see some of you somewhere this fall.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I went to the 2006 Dallas conference. I'm not a member anymore and the price this year (conf., travel, hotel) was waaaay out of my budget's league. However, it was a great conference and the networking is terrific. Have a great time!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Calla, I went to Dallas in '06. Wonder if we met? Couldn't do Dallas last year, though I wanted to. I'll be going to Minneapolis this September, though, God willin' and the crick don't rise.

ACFW is the one conf. I save my pennies and nickels for, all year. I'd much rather go to this conf. than RWA or any of the others.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Calla, I went to Dallas in '06. Wonder if we met? Couldn't do Dallas last year, though I wanted to. I'll be going to Minneapolis this September, though, God willin' and the crick don't rise.

ACFW is the one conf. I save my pennies and nickels for, all year. I'd much rather go to this conf. than RWA or any of the others.

I am hoping one year ACFW comes to the East coast. I'd love to attend if it was closer.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I think (though I'll stand corrected by anyone with firsthand knowledge) their plans are always to have the conf. more or less centrally located, to hopefully minimize the travel burden on those from either coast.

And I'm told Mt. Hermon is not just for fiction writers--I hear they spend lots of time on nonfic as well, so it may not pay the dedicated fiction writer to attend. Any further info on this?

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I'm attending the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference at Ridgecrest, NC, beginning this Sunday. Any one else from AW going to be there?

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
American Christian Writers Conference in Dallas 2/27-28

American Christian Writers Conference
February 27 & 28, 2009

Cost:
$209 if paid before 2/6/09 for 2 days
$119 if paid before 2/6/09 for any 1 day

Call: 1-800-21-WRITE for brochure

Conference Location
La Quinta Six Flags
825 N. Watson Rd.
Arlington, Texas 76011
(I-30 & Hwy. 360)
(817) 640-4142
*Make room reservation directly with hotel
for conference discount ($99/room)

A smallish conference, basic but good. Free 15-min. consults available.

FRIDAY sessions are divided into FICTION and NONFICTION WRITING
SATURDAY sessions are keynote and special workshops covering these topics:
-trends in Christian publishing
-write ideas
-craft of interviewing
-do I need an agent
-writing devotionals
-developing a writing career
-common reasons for rejection

Faculty:

Chip MacGregor, literary agent (formerly with Alive Communications, now on his own)

Dr. Dennis Hensley, author of 40 books incl. novels, 150+ short stories, 3000+ articles and current columnist for Writer's Journal and Advanced Christian Writer. Directs the professional writing major at Taylor University, Indiana, where he is an English professor

Frank Ball, full-time freelancer, ghostwriter, devotionals writer, former magazine copy editor.

Reg & Eleonore Forder, (run the ACW conferences around the USA; Reg publishes the Christian Communicator and the Advanced Christian Writer, and has also written 300+ articles and one book.

DMarie84

I wish I had a time machine
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inthewritemind.wordpress.com
Dub! I didn't know you were on these boards :) I just recently found them myself.

I hope to be at the FaithWriters conference--that's probably the only conference I have the money for (unless for some reason Dayton begins to have many, which is unlikely).

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
In Calif?

Kelly Mortimer of Mortimer Literary Agency Presents:
The First “Hangin’ with a Happenin’ Agent” Conference

(Kelly's comments in bold)

WHY?
· Many writers belong to RWA, but can’t afford a trip to their D.C. conference.
· Many writers don’t belong to an organization, and don’t know where to start.
· Many writers can’t afford the high costs of conferences: conference fees, food, lodging, extra editing and seminar costs, transportation. Yikes!
· Many writers don’t get a chance to know an agent in a ten-minute appointment. I wanna make friends! I’m a good friend to have. [So my friends tell me….]
· Many writers don’t like conferences where thousands of people attend. [Sometimes it’s better to be a big fish in a small pond.]
· I guarantee you’ll leave my conference motivated, more knowledgeable, and well rested. [You’ll have downtime, and great ways to spend it.]
· Conference will benefit anyone who wants to rev up their writing, have fun with me, and possibly win ridiculous [the good ridiculous, meaning “awesome”] prizes.

GENERAL INFO:
Place: Calvary Chapel Conference Center, Murrieta, CA. [Note: This is a conference for ALL writers, not just inspirational writers]
Dates: Friday May 29, 2009 at 4 p.m.; to Sunday May 31st at 10:15.
Registration: Deadline to have forms and money order in my hand: Thursday May 28
AGENDA:
  • One-hour workshops with practical, hands-on advice to help writers in different aspects of their careers.
  • A one-hour Motivational Speech [I dare ya not to be motivated.]
  • A twenty-minute pitch appointment with moi.
  • Question-and-Answer time
  • Hangin’ out with me. Just wanna gab? I’m up for it.
AMENITIES: [It’s a sic spot, dudes!]
  • Mammoth swimming pool [not a pool for Mammoths, it’s just gigantic]
  • Roman Spa that holds 80 people [No worries. LOTS of chlorine.]
  • 6 Natural Hot Springs
  • Tennis
  • Volleyball
  • Basketball
  • Billiards
  • Foos ball
  • Ping-pong
  • The grounds have fountains, waterfalls, palm trees; and rolling, green lawns.
FUN EXTRAS and PRIZES:
  • I’ll bring some of my bodacious, blingy bags [custom-made handbags] from Four Gals Designs [www.4galsdesigns.com], as they aren’t yet available in high-end stores. They’re pricey (hundreds), but I’ll give y’all a discount.
  • One fortunate attendee will WIN a handbag just for attending a workshop!
  • Immediately following the conference, you can win lunch and shopping on me. [Well, I don’t want your lunch on me.][details follow]
  • Drawing for a chapter (up to 30 pages) content/line edit.
COST:
  • Workshops [kewl], Motivation [priceless], Pitch [my undivided attention—oh, forgot, I’m bipolar…sorry.], All Five Meals (two breakfasts, one lunch, two dinners), and Lodging. [Lodging is dorm-style: two-to-six people per room, but the rooms are off the rip—and I’ll be stayin’ in one of them. Pillow fight, anyone?]
  • Total cost for the entire weekend of information, fun, and R&R is only $250.00! Period. Everything’s covered except transportation. An awesome deal!
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE:
Friday:
4:00-5:00 Check in
5:00-5:30 Orientation
5:30-7:00 FREE TIME! Unpack, rest, explore the acreage of waterfalls, gardens, etc., or use the fab facilities.
7:00-7:45 Dinner
8:00-9:00 Motivational Speech: How I Went from Worthless to Worthwhile
Saturday:
8:00-8:45 Breakfast
9-10:00 Workshop: Extreme Makeover: Editing Edition, Part 1 (Bring THREE Full-
Page Overheads of Your Work, and We’ll Edit them!)
10-12:00 Appointments (If you don’t have an appointment, this is FREE TIME!
Rest, explore the acreage of waterfalls, gardens, etc., or use the fab facilities.)
12-12:45 Lunch
1:00-2:00 Workshop: Extreme Makeover: Editing Edition, Part 2 (Bring THREE Full-
Page Overheads of Your Work, and We’ll Edit them!)
2:15-4:00 Appointments (If you don’t have an appointment, this is FREE TIME! Rest, explore the acreage of waterfalls, gardens, etc., or use the fab facilities.)
4:00-5:00 Workshop: Query Letters and Synopses – Make a Great First and Last Impression
5:00-6:00 Let’s hang out! Informal question and answer session, or we’ll just gab. (No pitches allowed!)
6:00-6:45 Dinner
7:00-8:00 Workshop: Bleak to Chic – Dress for Success (My version of What Not to Wear.) Lookin’ great gives you the confidence you need in a field where rejections abound. One fortunate attendee to this workshop will win a $100.00 gift card to buy a new outfit, and if you stay until the conference is over, we’ll go to lunch, and then I’ll take you to the mall and give ya advice on how to spend your winnings!
Sunday:
8:00-8:45 Breakfast
8:45-9:00 Drawing for Four Gals Designs handbag and Chapter Edit. Collect survey sheets. Closing remarks for those who don’t have Sunday appointments and wanna bail.
9:15 Shuttle to airport, or hang out until noon (when they kick ya out).
9:15-10:15 Appointments (If you don’t have an appointment, this is your last chance to take advantage of the facilities until noon, or you can get the heck outta Dodge.)
10:30-1:30 Shopping trip and lunch for workshop winner, if still around. (Hint: Duh!)
ACQUISITIONS LIST:
[You don’t have to write in the genres listed below to attend. Still have great info.]
  • Single Title and Category/Series
  • Contemporary Romance/Romantic Comedy (No Chick Lit)
  • Historical Fiction
  • Historical Romance
  • Paranormal/Fantasy/Speculative (Both romance and not)
  • Romantic Suspense (No Cozy Mysteries)
  • Suspense/Thrillers
  • Women’s Fiction
  • Young Adult/Middle Grade
  • Non-Fiction
  • Screenplays/TV Scripts
Not Looking For:
  • Science Fiction
  • Children’s Books
  • Westerns
  • Poetry
ABOUT THE AGENCY/KELLY MORTIMER:
MISCELLANEOUS INFO:
  • Handouts for workshops given
  • No tape recorders, please.
  • If traveling via air, Ontario Airport (ONT) is the closest, roughly 40 minutes from the site. We’ll run one shuttle from the airport on Friday at 3:00 p.m.—can fit the first 6 people who request a ride, and one on Sunday at 9:15 a.m. No charge!
  • Dress is ultra-casual. [I know what I said about dressin’ up, but not for this conference.]
  • More questions? E-mail me: [email protected]
  • Sorry, no refunds.
Let me know if you’re in, I’ll e-mail you a registration form, then you pony up the dough by Cashier’s Check or Money Order only, made out and sent to:
Kelly Mortimer
52645 Paui Road
Aguanga, CA 92536
Hope to meet some serious, non-hobby writers and get to know ya. Boo-Yah!

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I just learned today that the Glorieta Christian Writers Conference is having a major re-vamp. The Glorieta Conference Center, being negatively affected by the recession, has decided to close between Oct 1 and sometime in the late winter/early spring. Thus the GCWC lost its contract.

They have found a new venue, a Presbertyrian conference center in Aqiquiu, about an hour north of Santa Fe, NM. The new dates are Nov 4-8, 2009. The web site you all may have bookmarked is not the correct one. The better website is http://classeminars.org, with the conference site (such as it is) here. Linda Gilden is now the director of the conference. Oh, the conference is re-named the CLASS Christian Writers Conference.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I heard that too, Norman. I attended the Glorieta conference for eight years, and was on faculty for three. The conference center was gorgeous, but I'm sure the new digs will be just as nice. And Linda is a super lady!

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NDG, thanks so much for updating us about the Glorieta Conference. It was such a pretty location, I'm sad to see it close, but certainly understand given the economy.

I'll update the info upthread. :)

ETA: as I recall, CLASS Seminars has been around for awhile; I think many of the folk from Glorieta were involved in it, which is maybe why they have named the revamped conference after it. CLASS has an emphasis on written AND spoken communication, with training sessions offered on how to get involved in the speaking circuit to promote your book.

Last edited:

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Glorieta has a special place in my life. My wife and I met there on a singles retreat for our demonination, back in 1975. Well, actually we met in the Matfield Green rest stop on the Kansas Turnpike as four cars went in convoy from Kansas City to Oklahoma City, joined a bunch of others on two busses and headed west through the night to Glorieta. Actually, I guess we didn't meet at Matfield Green, but were merely introduced there. We met in a Sambos restaurant in Amarillo. At 6:00 AM we stopped for breakfast, and she and I wound up sitting at the same table. We then sat together the rest of the trip, and shared a lot of time at the conference center. And the rest, as they say, is history.

The 2006 GCWC was the first time we were back there.

NDG

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...we met in the Matfield Green rest stop on the Kansas Turnpike...
NDG

And if that isn't a prescription for romance, I don't know what is. :D

(Just goes to show, it's all Divine intervention!)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I'll be there. If you look for me on reg. day (Thursday), I'll be at the Midwest Zone table, doing...well, I don't quite know yet what we'll be doing.

Anybody going?

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Workshop

WORKSHOP: PUT IT IN WRITING! YOUR BOOK NOW

From Idea to Book -- Discovering God's Path to Getting Published
Saturday, January 9, 2010
at Shorter Community A.M.E. Church
in Denver's North Park Hill Neighborhood

Join multiple award-winning author Patricia Raybon and a talented class of professional and aspiring writers for a fun and focused morning of instruction and inspiration on how to transform your book idea into a marketable, professional, finished publication.
Hear insider tips on:
WHEN: Saturday, Jan. 9, 2010
TIME: 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
PLACE: Omar Blair Fellowship Hall – Shorter Community A.M.E. Church, 3100 Richard Allen Court
(Colo. Blvd at Martin Luther King Boulevard)
Denver, CO 80205
COST: $20 ($40 at the door)
COST INCLUDES: All seminar handouts, instruction and materials, a complimentary copy of Get Published, a writing booklet from The Writer Magazine, plus writer-friendly refreshments (pastries, teas, juices and coffee) plus other writing gifts and inspiration.
(Pre-registration is required.)

To register AND get $20 Early-Bird Price, go to: www.patriciaraybon.com/contact.htm. THANK YOU.
OR TO REGISTER BY MAIL: Contact Patricia by email to request mailing instructions.
Have a question about the workshop? contact Patricia at 303-693-0808.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
THICK-SKINNED CRITIQUE WITH JERRY JENKINS

Thick Skinned Critique and Q&A
Presented by Jerry B. Jenkins
Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)

To register, call (866) 495-5177.

In Jerry B. Jenkins' Thick-Skinned Critique Webinar, he will walk you through every detail of an editor's work on two selected attendee's writing samples. Writing samples are anonymous, and while it's honest and direct, the critiques are never mean. No matter what your writing experience and skill level, there is something to learn for everyone. There will be a Q&A following the critiques.

2 page writing samples are to be submitted to [email protected] by March 4, 2010, and are to be double spaced, 12 point, Times New Roman Font.

Also, join us for “Electrifying Eclectic Emotions” Webinar with DiAnn Mills, March 25, 2010 at 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).

$25 for Guild members, and $45 for nonmembers
Or $45 for both Webinars for Guild members,
and $75 for both webinars for nonmembers.

Hope to see you online!

Leilani Squires
Admissions Manager | CHRISTIAN WRITERS GUILD