• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Apod, LLC

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
http://www.apod.us/

Sigh.

Once again I'm contacted by a person who has a POD company...prices are not listed and once again they claim that all traditional publishers steal your money and force you to pay to publish your book.

Sigh.

I kindly explained him why this is not true and pointed him to Jenna's article. I then expressed concern that there were no prices on the site and the wording was confusing. I did not give him permission to come to our group to lecture but to participate if he liked.

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
Tirjasdyn:

Don't feel any need to tell POD companies why you aren't dealing with them. The important thing is to stay focused. They're just one more distraction...
keep writing and keep submitting.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
They seem to be utterly ignorant.

Regards,
Scott

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Tirjasdyn:

Don't feel any need to tell POD companies why you aren't dealing with them. The important thing is to stay focused. They're just one more distraction...
keep writing and keep submitting.

Actually it is important.

I'm responisble for the notions of over 200 writers who belong to the group I run. It is why I get this stuff. At least this guy followed my guidelines for posting his publishing scheme.

He hasn't responded. We'll just have to see.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Actually it is important.

I'm responisble for the notions of over 200 writers who belong to the group I run. It is why I get this stuff. At least this guy followed my guidelines for posting his publishing scheme.

He hasn't responded. We'll just have to see.

What does that mean?

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Specifically, I run the Denver Writer's Meetup. I feel responsible when people get this stuff and believe it.

So I have to spend time to follow leads, respond to requests and bring it to the group for discussion. I don't want them to believe that they can't ever get published, or that they have to pay to be published.

There are alot of professional writers in that group...you'd think they know better but that doesn't always happen. Do you know how many questions I get that start with "how much does it cost to publish a novel?" These aren't kids asking, these are grown adults with publishing credits in non-fiction, jobs in copy-editing, manual writing etc. But they dont' know the fiction market.

I had to put a notice up on the board requiring that would be publishers, agents etc email me before posting, then close down the message boards because of the random crap that was put there by scammers.

Last edited:

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Personally, I'd just tell them to be very wary of any publisher or agent that approaches them directly or approaches the writer's group as a whole.

Good publishers and agents tend to be fending potential customers off with a stick. They don't need to go way out of their way looking for potential customers.

I'm not going to say there aren't exceptions, but any approach should be taken with a caution flag waving.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Domain expired 12/2. Anyone care to bet whether it'll be renewed?