• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Keene Publishing / Moo Press, Inc.

LBW66

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about Keene Books in Warwick, NY? I found their website by accident, but cannot find any info on the company in the usual places.
Laura

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
All I know of them is last year they called for stories about women who have gone after and gotten what they have wanted under GRAB YOUR TIGER title, which is going on the shelves now.

I submitted one such story, which was accepted and published in that book.

But...come to think about it, it was Keen Publications, not KEENE.

Last edited:

LBW66

Registered
Reaction score
I just double checked their website. It is definitely Keene with an e at the end. The link is Keenebooks, but the name is Keene Publishing/Moo Press Inc.
They are in farm country - that much I know because I grew up in the town.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Hi LBW! I've been working with Keene/Moo on two of my books. Moo Press is their childrens' imprint, and they put out about eight books a year. Moo is the publisher for my Pirate's Alphabet, and Keene for Summer's Ashes in August. Diane Tinney is in charge of both imprints.

I've been incredibly happy with them so far -- they are professional and put out a very high-quality book. Because it is a small publishing house, the advances aren't huge, but they do pay them. Generally Diane and I have worked together to arrange publicity and events, etc, but they do send out review copies at no expense to me. The best part? They get books into brick and mortar stores.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

LBW66

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Patti,
Thanks so much for your response! I showed the Pirate book from your website to my son. He's 8 and thought it looked really cool and thought it would be fun to read. We will be going to a bookstore to look for it soon! We're in New England.
You answered my biggest question of does Keene get the books they publish into stores... Currently I have a full ms being reviewed by an agent at Trident, if it falls through and noone else asks for my ms I plan to go the small press route. Keene was at the top of my list because I really liked the info on their website and because it's in Warwick. Are they a group of NYC exiles?

My ms is a middle grade/ya novel - from the website it looks like they take books at that level, correct?

Well I don't want to bombard you with too many questions so I'll sign off here for now.
Laura

LBW66

Registered
Reaction score
Actually Patti, I do have one more question... Do you know how bad the slush pile is at Keene?
-Laura

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site is gone, with last book published '08.