• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] RDR Books

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with RDR Books/Roger Rapoport? (Yes, first name is Roger. Got it wrong in the thread title.)

http://www.rdrbooks.com/

Suggested to me as a good, small independent publisher by a local independent bookseller.

Thanks!

Susan

Last edited:

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think this would be a very good publisher to go with, since they seem to have a bad understanding of copyright law.

The person who created the Harry Potter Lexicon website asked JKR if he could publish a book version of the site. She said no. He then proceeded to compile it anyway, and RDR was planning to publish it until JKR and Warner Brothers stepped in with lawyers. Both the writer and the publisher are playing the wounded innocents because they are being told that they cannot market someone else's copyrighted material.

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
The fact that she had given the website an award (and admittedly used it herself) then sues has left quite a few people shaking their head.

Novelust

*Does not molest books.
Registered
Reaction score
This is turning into one heck of a kerfuffle.

"RDR claims not to have given JKR’s people a copy of the book because “we don’t have a copy to give them…because the book hasn’t been published yet.” Asked why they didn’t hand over a manuscript, Mr. Harris said, “how would it benefit us in any way?" "

See the links below for context.

Story on Leaky Cauldron: http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/2007/11/3/questions-and-answers-with-wb-and-rdr

Part 1 of the story on Fandom Wank: http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/1118711.html#cutid1

Part 2 of story on Fandom Wank: http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/1119229.html#cutid1

Last edited:

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
The fact that she had given the website an award (and admittedly used it herself) then sues has left quite a few people shaking their head.

Liking the website isn't the same as giving them permission to make money off of her copyright. Though if you really want to shake your head so hard your neck will break, you should read the fan comments that the Lexicon guy's book would be canon, while JKR's version would just be 'stuff she made up'.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
J. R. Tomlin:

Well the situation seems to be a little more complicated than that. From the reports coming out within the HP community, it appears that the author originally asked for Rowling's permission to publish a book version of his website and she refused. This kind of suggests to me that he realised he'd need the permission of the copyright owner before he went ahead and published but when it was refused, decided to go ahead with it anyway.

From RDR's statements, the book appears to be a hard copy version of what's on the site (which, if you check it out is a mixture of fan essays on Rowling's world and a compendium of short entries on spells, characters, time-lines etc). Unfortunately, not all of those essays were written by the author of the book and there's currently a big question mark as to whether those essays that don't belong to him are going to be published without the original author's permission. The author has claimed not, the publisher seems to be claiming otherwise. Regardless of what you think of fandom, I think most people here would agree that publishing an essay that you haven't written without the permission of the original author and without giving them remuneration is not cool.

Finally, there's a massive difference between an author sanctioning a resource that's available for free on the internet and the owner of that site then deciding to try and make money off it. Both RDR and Steve Vander Ark seem to have a head in the sand approach to the seriousness of this and RDR's statements aren't reassuring as to their having a professional attitude.

MM

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The thing in Vander Ark's contract about how he got 50% royalty on all books sold through the Floo Network was especially egregious--the Floo Network, which is a fan-operated ring of Harry Potter websites, provided free webspace for the Harry Potter Lexicon site for years.

Vander Ark never discussed selling his book through the Floo Network with any of the Floo Network owners/administrators at all. That takes gonads of titanium, but not in the good sense.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Vander Ark never discussed selling his book through the Floo Network with any of the Floo Network owners/administrators at all. That takes gonads of titanium, but not in the good sense.

He certainly has more than all my living male relatives put together!

I don't know legalese, but it does seem bad that Rowling is specifically mentioned on page five of the contract.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
RDR Publishing

This question is being posed mostly out of sheer curiosity. I read this article on MSN this morning:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=309320&GT1=7701

And it got me thinking, "Who is this publisher". Are they legit? I've found a bit of info on Google but has anyone here ever used them for anything? I have to question their credibiltiy if they would even consider publishing a book like the one this guy wrote.

I'll admit that I've never read so much as a single word of Harry Potter. They just don't interest me. But I think this case is definitely important to all of us.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
this part of the article made me wonder as well...

"After Rowling released the final chapter in the Harry Potter series that same month, Vander Ark was contacted by an RDR Books employee, who told him that publication of the lexicon would not violate copyright law, he said.

Still, to protect himself, Vander Ark said he insisted that RDR Books include a clause in his contract that the publisher would defend and pay any damages that might result from claims against him."

smart on the guy's part, but I'm not sure what to think of a publisher who runs willy-nilly into the fire like this. I can only hope they got some sort of legal advice before charging forth...

... or not.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
And it got me thinking, "Who is this publisher". Are they legit?

He's a small publisher who operates out of his house in Michigan, and he's done a perfectly decent job of publishing books in that niche for some years (at least ten).

I don't know if he just totally misunderstood copyright law (possible, because he had no attorney at all at first, then he got a family member whose specialty was not intellectual property law to respond to court documents, and he finally got an actual intellectual property attorney only several months into the matter) or if he was operating under the mistaken idea that "all publicity is good publicity" or what...

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
I appologize for not locating this thread first before maknig my topic, I was in a bit of a hurry this morning.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Any decision yet on the case? Last I heard, the judge's ruling was expected mid May.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
They came to a mutual agreement and the author did a re-write. From what I heard, many of the Harry Potter fandom (i.e. the committed fans most likely to buy the book) boycotted it. It probably didn't help that one of the owners of The Leaky Cauldron (a huge Potter site) released their own guide/explanation of the Potter phenomenon at the same time - only this one featured an interview with Rowling and was done with her blessing. It was widely taken as an eff-you to Vander Ark.

The last I heard, Vander Ark is now living in the UK and working on another book, although I don't know if it's fiction or non-fiction.

MM

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
They came to a mutual agreement and the author did a re-write. From what I heard, many of the Harry Potter fandom (i.e. the committed fans most likely to buy the book) boycotted it. It probably didn't help that one of the owners of The Leaky Cauldron (a huge Potter site) released their own guide/explanation of the Potter phenomenon at the same time - only this one featured an interview with Rowling and was done with her blessing. It was widely taken as an eff-you to Vander Ark.

The last I heard, Vander Ark is now living in the UK and working on another book, although I don't know if it's fiction or non-fiction.

MM

Interesting. I knew most of this as I was following the back and forth for quite some time, but I didn't know the final results.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score