The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Scott Treimel NY

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot? scully931's Avatar

[Agency] Scott Treimel NY

Hi,

Anyone know anything about Scott Treimel? He doesn't seem to have a website. His sales record looks good. I was just surprised to find him barely mentioned on here. I like getting input from everyone since, collectively, there is so much experience. Any personal knowledge or insight?

Thanks!
    We call them dumb animals... for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. ~Anna Sewell

Home? I have no home. Hunted, despised, living like an animal....
    From what I've heard, he's a wonderful agent, but you might need to be patient with him -- and reasonably sure that he's the one for you. He's been known to request 90-day exclusives on partials.

~JM.

Just bumping up my own thread on the hopes someone else might see it and have some input. :-)
    We call them dumb animals... for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words. ~Anna Sewell

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    This interview from March '07 has the most info so far.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Hey, thanks for the link! He's had my full for ages. Well, many many many months. I'll send him a note after the holidays, but it looks like a no-go.

author, psychologist, speaker
    Scott Teimel is moving towards web-based submissions which will require only a 30-day exclusive. The website is still under construction: scotttreimelny.com

They also have a blog. This entry describes John Cusick's thoughts on queries:

scotttreimelny.blogspot.com/2008/12/what-johns-looking-for.html

I didn't know 90% of queries began with a question! I've heard other agents also mention they hate questions as openers.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-16-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: format
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

figuring it all out
    I met Scott at a conference a couple years ago and sat with him at lunch. He's very tough with his crits (and spot-on) and a very nice guy. He's quick to give constructive advice and gave the best line-editing presentation I've ever seen. He doesn't rep what I write, but I hear he's a super agent and my short experience around him was very positive. Note that if he gives you a line edit, he'll comment on nearly every word.

Death will be anticlimactic Timoun's Avatar

Scott T.

Seems to prefer Disneyesque story plotting and probably deals mainly with editors who do. Makes multiple snail-mail manuscript submissions then charges author hospital prices for copying and employee time without having informed the author beforehand.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Timoun View Post
    Seems to prefer Disneyesque story plotting and probably deals mainly with editors who do. Makes multiple snail-mail manuscript submissions then charges author hospital prices for copying and employee time without having informed the author beforehand.
    That's not good.

Anybody know a nice paragraph to add to the contract before signing? Something that demands prior knowledge of expenses to be charged?

practical experience, FTW Laura Lond's Avatar
    90-day exclusivity, ouch!! :O Can't do that... Although he sounds great for my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Lond View Post
    90-day exclusivity, ouch!! :O Can't do that... Although he sounds great for my book.
    He's cut it to 30 now with the new site and submission form, but the stories about the "copy fees" are enough to make me back away.

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    I'm sort of getting used to online submission forms, but this is the first one that's asked for a "submission history." How the heck do I fill something like that out? My detailed history would be pages long!

Quote Originally Posted by tbrosz View Post
    I'm sort of getting used to online submission forms, but this is the first one that's asked for a "submission history." How the heck do I fill something like that out? My detailed history would be pages long!
    I said "A couple of small presses, and a variety pack of agents." (or words to that effect)

You're right. There is no way to fill that in unless he's within the first five you've queried.

Possibly he's looking to see if you've subbed to major publishers (a few do still take queries).

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Lond View Post
    I'm not sure, but looking at their submission site and policies, I think that's gone by the wayside. This is what they say now:

Please understand that we expect work submitted for our consideration to be available for our representation, as we do not wish to compete with other agencies.
    I don't know if that means "exclusive submission." If you have queries out, but no partials or manuscripts, I don't see that as an issue here, but I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrosz View Post
    I wondered about how to answer that, too. I finally wrote that I have submitted my work to numerous agents, received rejections from some of them, and I currently have no fulls or partials out.

The "copy fees" story scares me too...

They've changed the text from what it said the day the site went live. Originally they wanted to make sure they were the only one who had an active submission on a MS because they expected a 30-exclusive.

The mention of the exclusive has vanished, but the space for the history is still in the form.

practical experience, FTW cwgranny's Avatar
    When Scott was my agent for a while, he charged copy and messenger fees, sending an itemized bill periodically. I've seen a number of agents who charge for these things but don't collect until the sale (thus meaning you end up paying 15% PLUS these fees out of your advance). I would have rather had them come out of my advance, of course, but they weren't a surprise. He told me about them when he called to offer me representation. The told me about them AGAIN in an email before he ever started submitting. They weren't a surprise. So if someone did find them a surprise, it clearly was an UNUSUAL bit of miscommunication because when he was my agent, he was crystal clear about it.

All ... shall soon be mine! rafi's Avatar

Question fees?

What kind of fees? How much are we talking about? He wants these paid up front, before the advance?? I submitted my book via their online form almost 4 weeks ago, and have heard nothing. Now I'm thinking, maybe he is a bad choice. Shouldn't those fees come out of the 15%?

practical experience, FTW trocadero's Avatar

response time

Has anyone else submitted via the new online submission form? I queried at the start of April but haven't heard back. I would normally interpret no reply as no interest, but they do say they have a 30 day turn around on the site.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else had had a similar experience.

Thanks.

I subbed via the form. After 35 (or so) days, I inquired and got back a fast Reject. Not sure whether you get an answer unless you ask.

I'm on the 30-day mark, I'll wait some more and then ask. We'll see if that results in a prompt R as well.

practical experience, FTW trocadero's Avatar
    Right. I'm going in. It's been about 7 weeks. I'll email him.

All ... shall soon be mine! rafi's Avatar

response time

I submitted via the online form, and got an email response 29 days later. Very short and very impersonal (started "Dear Author"). There was no indication that they even looked at my submission. That's okay, after finding out that he charges extra "fees" I'm no longer interested in him anyway.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Guys -
    I just have to correct this misconception. Scott has been my agent for eight years (gasp - is that possible??) & everything is on the up & up. He charges no "hidden" or "extra" fees, just the normal fees that any other agent would charge. (If you think messenger, postage, and copying fees come out of agents' 15%, you're mistaken!) These fees are line-item listed when he send you an invoice. And by the way, he's a fabulous agent. He has sold five books for me, three to Farrar Straus & Giroux, one to Random House and just recently one to Viking/Penguin. If I had the time to write more, I know he'd sell more. You would be very lucky to get Scott as an agent. I'll sign my post with my real name so no one thinks it's Scott saying nice things about himself!
    - Pat Hughes
    www.pathughesbooks.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast