James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Originally posted by Scribhneoir, 03-28-2006, 11:19 PM.

====================

We have 4 sales, most agencies only have 1 or two.

Wow, what a rousing endorsement. Does Sherry Fine really think this is what a skeptic writer wants to hear? She/he/it/they are really slipping.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Originally posted by James D. Macdonald, 03-29-2006, 08:59 AM.

=================

Luckily, we don't follow anyone's plan but our own.

Luckily for whom? There's a way that publishers do business. You chose to do business some other way, and as a result you don't have any sales. The writers don't seem to have had a lot of luck with that.

I'm giving you two answers to your question about what you've read. The first answer is the short one, and the second is the long one.

That "long answer" has already been dealt with extensively, in this and other threads here. As I suspected, it's the boilerplate that they send to writers who question them.

The "short answer" is a thing of wonder. Let me deal with it right now.

I apologize in advance for any 'attitude' that you read in my reply, but it's a gut/core issue for us and we feel pretty strongly about certain things.

That's because it's cutting into your bottom line, limiting your income. As more and more new writers learn that The Literary Agency Group (and the New York Literary Agency as part of it) is a scam, fewer and fewer fall for that paid critique/paid editing scheme.

The short answer ....
We told the self-proclaimed industry watchdogs to shove it.

Really? Where? You've said that you've offered to answer our questions (but then never do), you've said that you were going to sue us (but then never do), and you've said that you've "come to thank" us (but now, apparently, you aren't doing that either).

We've drawn the battle lines and we've said that unpublished
writers have no chance of success unless they think differently.

You're lying. New, unpublished authors are getting published every day, by following the traditional route of submitting their work to real publishers via legitimate agents. A paid critique isn't any part of their path. The other wild and woolly things you've tried (secret stealth contacts inside of publishing houses, "online pitch pages," offers to pay a publisher to take one of your books) have all come to nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We told the so-called watchdogs that they are hurting authors by maintaining 'old school' ideas.

How is is that authors keep having success by following those very same "'old school' ideas"? How is it that your new school ideas apparently don't work?

The only ones who are being "hurt" are you ... when you don't get that flow of cash -- something for nothing -- from hopeful authors.

We explained that the agency business is so competitive now, that we can only focus on one thing, selling the work.

How does it happen that, to date, you haven't sold any?

The author has to take responsibility for bringing their work to industry standards. In short, we told the industry watchdogs that they don't get it, and they are promulgating old ideas that no longer apply.

Well, yes. That the author has to write a good book is as old-school as an idea can be. What's new and different about that? Other than the part where the author opens his checkbook and pays you, that is....

It didn't go over very well and they chatter incessantly, but if you think a writer has thick skin, you should try being an agent.

Awwww. Did poor widdle "Sherry Fine" get her feewings all hurt?

We've been in business now long enough to know that our model works, and that buyers respect the fact that EVERY AUTHOR WE REPRESENT HAS BEEN THROUGH A RIGOROUS CRITIQUE AND EDITING PROCESS.

You've been in business long enough now that IF YOUR MODEL ACTUALLY WORKED YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD A SALE BY NOW.

What you read on the boards is just authors whining about having to do more work, which they want us to do for free.

Your work is selling books, which so far you haven't managed to accomplish. You aren't supposed to do it for free ... you're supposed to get a percentage of the sales of the books you represent.

Unfortunately, given your track record, a percentage of your sales works out to zero, but those are the breaks. Agents sell books. If you can't sell a book, find a different line of work.

Think about it for just a minute. If you were buying an unpublished author's work, wouldn't you want to buy work that had been through the proverbial wringer?

No.

And wouldn't you want to buy work that could get to market faster, because the grunt work, the editing, had already been done.

No. Editors edit. It's what they do for a living. It's why they draw paychecks from the publishers.

And, again, if your model was capable of working, it would have already worked. The New York Literary Agency has been in business under that name for a year now ... with not one single sale to show for it. Stylus/ST/Sydra Techniques has been in buisness for years, without one single sale to show for it.

In the end, the truth of the matter is that you really want an agency that is willing to break a few rules on your behalf.

No. You want an agency that can sell your book to a legitimate commercial publisher. Which "Sherry Fine" and Robert M. Fletcher haven't been able to do.

The 'old school' doesn't want you to get in, and that's the truth. We have 4 sales, most agencies only have 1 or two.

The 'old school' shows you how to get in. The proof is that new writers are getting in every day. Last year, between 15 and 20% of all novels on bookstore shelves were first novels. The truth is that you have no sales. Any real agency has dozens. The "agencies" with one or two ... or no ... sales are either very new, about to go out of business, or scammers. First time writers have no reason at all to want to hook up with any of those.
We will double that this year we think

Twice nothing is still nothing. Or did you mean that you're going to double your claim of "4 sales"? I'm going to go way out on a limb here and predict that by 31 December 2006 that The Literary Agency Group will have announced no sales to legitimate (that is, non-vanity) presses.

and you really need to consider whether some 'anonymous' board poster really has your best interest at heart

I'm not anonymous. Victoria isn't anonymous. Ann isn't anonymous. Dave isn't anonymous. And yes, we do have your best interests at heart. We want you to make money, not lose it. We want your book to have its best shot at getting published, not caught up in some Florida scammer's trap.

or if you should give us a try, eyes wide open, and see if we don't keep our promises which are * We respect what you have accomplished thus far as a writer, * We believe that great authors are made, not born. We are willing to
develop talent. * We pledge straight talk in a confusing and old-school industry. * We can't promise a sale. We can promise a professional relationship.

The ways in which those "promises" contradict what "Sherry" just said have already been dealt with.

Why would anyone whose eyes are wide open (or even open just a tiny crack) give "Sherry Fine" a chance? Let her post her sales. Then we can talk.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Originally posted by James D. Macdonald, 01-29-2006, 02:17 PM.

================

"Sherry Fine" says:
"Our clients say it best. The quotes below are unedited and as you can see, quite from the heart. (We have lots more of these.) If you are really cynical, you will probably believe we made them up, but I promise you, we can prove every one of them."

"Sherry Fine" also posts:
"Dear Georgina, I'd like you to know how highly and gratefully I regard the clarity with which you explain the process as well as your reliability. I have complete trust in both your abilities and ethical standards. Best wishes, Judith"

"Georgina Orr" posts:
1) The first category are the 'industry watchdogs'. These are people that derive some level of psychological benefits from 'exposing' fraud, scams, etc. WE HAVE CONTACTED THESE PEOPLE NUMEROUS TIMES AND OFFERED TO ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS ON A PUBLIC FORUM FOR THE BEST INTEREST OF THE INDUSTRY AND THE WRITERS. They have refused or ignored our requests. What does that tell you? It tells me that they aren't interested in the truth, it tells me that they are interested in more visitors to their website. Also, they have blocked our rebuttal posts and deleted our prior posts. In short, a very one-sided message board!

Okay Sherry/Georgina/Robert: It's put-up or shut-up time.

I want Judith's full name, email address, and the title of her book. You want to call me "cynical"? Prove this is a real quote from a real person. Right here, right now. Let's see what she says about you today.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Originally posted by MartyKay, 04-11-2006, 12:55 AM.

====================

I thought I was suffering from deja vu all over again...

We've been in business now long enough to know that our model works, and that buyers respect the fact that EVERY AUTHOR WE REPRESENT HAS BEEN THROUGH A RIGOROUS CRITIQUE AND EDITING PROCESS.

Hmm..

Normal Agency
Code:
Query comes in -> if interesting ask for partial
Partial comes in -> if good ask for full
Full comes in -> if good, call author ->
Submit to publishers until sold
If bad, send mail -> no thanks

This one
Code:
Manuscript comes in ->
Get author to pay for RIGOROUS CRITIQUE 
AND EDITING services until they give up or run out of money
loop

Much more efficient model. :roll:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Originally posted by James D. Macdonald, 04-18-2006, 02:10 AM.

==================

Line By Line, Part 1:

Message Board Citizens- Rebuttal !

Just to be clear, what you're supposed to be rebutting is that The Poets Literary Agency (like the rest of The Literary Agency Group) is a scam, a fake agency that has never sold anything in its life.

Dear Message Board Citizens;

Whatever that means. Have you actually read what's been posted here? Would you like to try to refute it?

Please take a few minutes to read an important message for writers.

Important Message to Writers: Money flows toward the author.

The company has asked me to tell you, in my own words, what I do and to let you know just one aspect of what they do to help writers sell their work.

Weirdly, your words sound almost exactly like Sherry Fine's words and Georgina Orr's words. Right the way down to the weird formatting.

You signed your post here "Rey Best," but the document's properties show it was written by "Ray Kyle." Are you sure they're your own words?

I work with Sherry Fine, our director of acquisitions, and I am using her login for speed and efficiency with this post.

Really? Where is she physically located? Where are you physically located? Is it true that your supposed New York address is a sham?

One cavet, I am in phone sales, so if there are grammar or spelling errors in the post, please realize that you are the writer, and that's your job to write 100% correctly, not mine.

So, what have you sold?

See attached Message Board Citizens Rebuttal.

Cordially,

Rey Best

Oh, I will, "Rey," or "Ray" or whatever your name is.

===============================
Line By Line, Part 2:
Dear Message Board Citizens:

Hi, R/o/b/e/r/t/ G/e/o/r/g/i/n/a/ S/h/e/r/r/y/ R/a/y/ Rey!

My job is to constantly expand the company's relationship of buyers.

A meaningless sentence if there ever was one. What exactly do you do? And who, exactly, are those buyers? A buyer is someone who buys things, right? Who's bought a literary work from you? Could you name one? Just one?

As you know buyers in large companies change jobs and titles on a regular basis.

Buyers? Is the word you're searching for "editors"?

I've found that about 25%, that's ¼ of the names that you can find in Writers Market, or various public sources are INCORRECT.

So? What agent uses Writer's Market or other public sources as their primary means of finding markets?

So, my job is to live on the phone and email.

Nice job if you can get it.

I am paid to call buyers for our authors and for our database of contacts.

How much are you paid? Wait! I know who you are! You're the guy who answered this ad:
Research Assistant For Agent Needed - Generate Publisher Lists
posted: 20 Feb 2006
s.gif
s.gif
Offered by:
The Literary Agency Group
s.gif
s.gif
Salary:
$17.50 per hour
s.gif
s.gif
Benefits:
Flexible hours
s.gif
s.gif
Duration:
Project or Part Time Basis
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Requirements:
Seeking research assistant for our literary agents. Job entails generating lists of 5-10 potential publishers for authors we represent. $500 Bonus for successful sale that comes from your research. You can work from anywhere and we will train.
s.gif
s.gif
About Our
Company:
The Literary Agency Group is proud to represent the largest group of formally edited manuscripts in the world.
s.gif
s.gif
Robert West - Principal
s.gif
s.gif
E-mail:
[email protected]
s.gif
s.gif
Phone:
Email only please
s.gif
s.gif
Special
Instructions:
Email your background and resume please.
s.gif
s.gif

Job #
That ad was dated 20 February. You wrote your little "rebuttal" on the 17th of April, and posted it the same day. So you've been working with "Sherry" (where did you say she's located?) for a month and a half at most, and on that basis you're so certain this nest of scammers aren't scammers? Dude, they're scamming you, too.

Basically what I do is take a manuscript and a potential list of 30 buyers, and get on the phone and qualify the list.

That is to say, you call 'em on the phone to make sure their names are spelled right. Where does that list of 30 buyers come from?

I call, I make sure that we have the right buyer's name, I check spelling and address, and most importantly, I confirm what they are 'Looking For Now'.

This is just so pathetic. What are they 'looking for now'? Either they'll name the genre, or say something like "A work that surprises and delights." To get more specific, you'll have to stop cold-calling.

When I find a qualified buyer with a need, I immediately communicate that to the Agents, and they aggressively go into our roster of authors to find matches for the buyer.

Wait a minute! I thought you were starting with a specific work in hand. Which is it?
Our materials are very well received by our buyers.

Name one who's bought anything from you, or any of your "agents," ever.

Our buyers have learned that we posess one of the most qualified groups of authors in the industry.

Which industry would that be? Soybean farming? If you mean the publishing industry, why are your authors still unpublished?

You want to know who the most qualified group of authors in the publishing industry is? Go to a bookstore and look around.

They know that all of our authors have been formally critiqued and edited.

If you knew anything about the publishing industry you'd know why that sentence means nothing at all.

Our buyers know that they can trust what we send them.

Oh, they can trust it. They just can't publish it.

Our buyers know that we have filtered out the hobbyists from the authors that will do what it takes to succeed.

In other words, you've filtered out the people who know better than to pay fees to agents. I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Editors aren't interested in who's a "hobbyist" and who isn't. They're interested in who's written a good book. That's what they care about. That's not what you're peddling, though. Which rather explains your lack of sales.

Yes, we tell our authors that they have to reach industry standards.

Which you do by accepting everything, then charging piles of back-door fees.

Do you know what editors call slush that's been edited before submission? They call it "slush."

Doesn't every agency do that in one way or another?

Other agencies (you know, the successful ones; the ones who sell books to publishers who can get books onto bookshelves) recognize that if a book can be made publishable by editing that the editors at a publishing house are standing by to do it, and that if a book can't be made publishable by editing that no amount of editing will make it publishable.

The other agencies don't accept everyone then send them on a round of paid edits and paid critiques where the money all comes back to Robert "Convicted Conman" Fletcher's pockets.

I can tell you from personal experience how frustrating it is to hear from a buyer that the work we are trying to sell isn't as good a the competing works they are looking at.

Oh, I quite believe that editors tell you that the works you're peddling aren't as good as the ones that other agencies are submitting. That's because edited slush is still slush, and the only writing talent you're looking for among your clients is talent writing checks.

So, if anything, our agency is becoming MORE demanding that our authors take their work as far as they can from a quality perspective.

You've added another couple of rounds of paid-edits-and-critiques? What's the matter? Afraid some of your writers are bailing out while they still have money in the bank?

So, I hope that I have helped you see one aspect of an Agents job.

Dude, you have no clue what an agent's job is.
The company spends a lot of money paying me to do nothing but find buyers and qualify them.

Are you trying to say that the "agents" at your agency don't know any editors personally?

So, what have you, or anyone, sold? Where's that money coming from? It's coming from the authors, right? It sure isn't coming from the publishers.

And when I read this ongoing thread with all these bad words, written by people that have only sour grapes to say, I just wanted to let you know that "it isn’t so".

You picked the shortest thread. You should read some of the longer ones. The single biggest complaint that anyone has, the single biggest question anyone asks, is this: What have you sold?

What "sour grapes"? You sound just like Georgina Orr/ Robert Fletcher / Sherry Fine.

If you're going to make it in the literary world you have to pay attention to what words mean.

Also, I can assure you that this company isn't a scam.

Really? What have they sold, ever, to anyone? How much does the typical client pay? Where does The Poets Literary Agency's money come from? Are you aware that there is essentially no paying market for poetry?

I've known the principals for years and they do the best they can for their authors.

Have you really? And who, exactly, are you?

The "best they can" doesn't seem to be very good.
They also pay their bills on a regular basis and they are beginning to acquire other companies in the industry.

Where's the money for that coming from? It sure isn't from book sales to publishers.
Here's a question… if a literary agency buys a publishing company so that they can publish or partner books they believe in, is that a conflict of interest?

Here's an answer: Yes.

========================================

I can tell you right now that the company is participating in a new business model. We're promoting a joint venture where we have put up $2500 in partnership with the author and the publisher to get the book out the door.

That isn't a new business model at all. "Co-publishing" or "joint-venture" publishing has a long and sour history. Those are fancy names for vanity publishing. Let me list some names that you might have heard of: Commonwealth Publishing. Northwest Publishing. Sovereign Publications. If those names don't mean anything to you I suggest you find out.

That's unique!

No, it isn't. And Dorothy Deering did four years in federal prison. She got off lightly. James Van Treese got thirty years.

And that's how much we believe in what we are doing.

You'll forgive me I'm sure if I think that the $2500 you're talking about will be all out of the author's pocket.

The ad is in the PMA newsletter and has been for 4 months.
A copy of the ad can be seen using this link.
http://www.theliteraryagencygroup.com/pma-literaryagencyad.pdf
This really is important for you to think about.

I've thought about it all that I care to: y'all are so incompetent that you can't even find a vanity press. Would it help if I gave you C. Lee Nunn's phone number? Those "three of these in early deal stages" seem to be the same "three" that you've had in early deal stages for a year now. When are you actually going to have a deal?
We think that we are the ONLY LITERARY AGENCY that has stepped up to put our own money behind certain authors that we represent.

Think about this: Why might that be true? Why don't the other literary agencies (you know, the ones who manage to sell books) consider paying kickbacks? And as far as it being your "own money," isn't it true that it's the authors' money? Isn't it true that you expect the authors to make the payments? "$2500 in partnership with the author" is how you put it.

If you can find any other agency that has done this please let me know.

The Deering Literary Agency.

This, to me, is brilliant, out of the box thinking that shows beyond a shadow of a doubt that our company is behind our authors.

This, to me, shouts "Scam!" at the top of its lungs.

=======================================
Furthermore, all this talk about who owns what is rubbish.

Robert M. Fletcher, a convicted conman, owns all of the agencies in The Literary Agency Group, and he owns Writers Literary & Publishing Services, the critique-and-editing service that he sends hopeful writers to. Hardly "rubbish."

This is business, and it's a lot like a Darwinian evolution.

And you are like the unfortunate fatal mutation.

You either grow or prosper, or you go out of business and you die.

Since you've proven totally unable to sell books to publishers, why aren't you out of business?

If we can sell your work, we do.

Therefore it follows you can't sell your authors' works. Perhaps because you're the worst salesmen on the planet. Perhaps because your methods just plain don't work. Perhaps because you aren't actually submitting stuff.

If we can't, then we will tell you why we think it isn't selling.

"Because you haven't sent us enough money yet!"

Usually this means more work, and really, that's what most of the whining on these boards is about.

Thanks to y/o/u/r/ Sherry's other posts, I know what you mean by this. You're wrong.

There isn't any whining on these boards except from you and Robert and Sherry and Georgina: Those mean ol' author advocates say you shouldn't pay us! Wah! They say we've never sold anything! Wah! They say we're a bunch of scammers! Wah! Wah! Wahhhhhh!
So, in conclusion, the company is real, they've paid me a regular salary for years, and we're putting our heart and soul (and our money) behind our authors.

For years? Or since February 20, 2006 (assuming you called them the same day their ad appeared and they hired you on the spot).

For all your heart and soul and money, why haven't you managed to sell anything?

Well, that's all the time I have for this post.

Next time try to present a couple of checkable facts. Starting with your real name.

Best to you and your writing career.

Best to you and yours. I hear you get a lot of writing time in the federal pen. (Or you might luck out; Daniel Craig Deering just got probation.)

I don't have the time to monitor this post so unfortunately; all the carping that will occur will be ignored.

Aw, gee, and you just said that you "read this ongoing thread with all these bad words, written by people that have only sour grapes to say."

I'm not worried; you'll be back, or some other name will be back. You and "Sherry" and "Georgina" (and Peter and Paul) just can't stay away. Will the next round be more sockpuppets? Or some other fictitious name claiming to be an employee of Robert's? Do you know why I think you'll be back? Because the truth is hurting Robert Fletcher's business too badly to let him stay away. That's why he sends these limp defenders.

Do you want to know who won't ignore the "carping"? The potential victims of The Literary Agency Group. They're getting the word and passing it on to their friends. So whether or not some amateur troll returns to read this (and you are reading it, I know you by now), the real people who need to get the word are definitely reading this post, and all the others. They're weighing truth against lies, and you, my friend, come up short.
I have a real job to get back to.

Oh, don't hurry on my account. You've wasted your time so far (years, you say?) without getting a single sale. The few minutes it would take to read the replies to your drivel won't take that much out of your day.

Have you considered getting an honest job?

Cordially,

Rey Best

So, is your name really "Rey Best"? Who's the Ray Kyle who wrote the document you posted?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Originally posted by victoriastrauss, 04-18-2006, 10:46 AM.

=====================

triceretops said:
Here's a question… if a literary agency buys a publishing company so that they can publish or partner books they believe in, is that a conflict of interest?
Uh, yeah--and also interesting this should be mentioned, as I've suspected for some time that Bobby and cronies have done exactly that.
I can tell you right now that the company is participating in a new business model. We're promoting a joint venture where we have put up $2500 in partnership with the author and the publisher to get the book out the door.That's unique! And that's how much we believe in what we are doing. The ad is in the PMA newsletter and has been for 4 months.A copy of the ad can be seen using this link.http://www.theliteraryagencygroup.com/pma-literaryagencyad.pdf
Bobby et al have made this pitch before--once through their editing branch (which makes it clear who will actually be forking over that $2,500) and once at Publishers Marketplace.
We think that we are the ONLY LITERARY AGENCY that has stepped up to put our own money behind certain authors that we represent. If you can find any other agency that has done this please let me know.
First off, it's not your money. Do you seriously expect us to believe that $2,500 won't come from the authors? Secondly, you're absolutely right--we can't think of any other agency that has "done this. " Because when other literary agencies place manuscripts, it's based on the ms.'s merits, not on bribes to publishers.

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Originally posted by HapiSofi, 04-19-2006, 11:02 PM.

=====================

Uncle Jim, that was a spectacular takedown, and yet I believe there's a very significant point you missed.

What this fellow is describing is the lengthy process of putting together a list of houses, acquiring editors, what kind of work they're looking for, etc., starting from absolute ground zero. He's working from publicly available general resources.

What this means is that Fletcher's agencies haven't previously had any of that information on hand.

Do you see the implications?

This guy is pure gold. He's just done us an enormous favor. What he's demonstrated, in considerable detail, is that Robert Fletcher's "literary agencies" haven't previously had on hand in the office the most basic information any agent would need in order to sell manuscripts to publishing houses. If they did, they wouldn't be having an inexperienced outsider recompile it for them from scratch for seventeen bucks an hour.

They have not been acting as agents. He's just proved it.

The other reason to be nice to him is that Fletcher has screwed him over, too. He thinks he's in line for significant commissions if he makes sales. Fletcher & Co. can't have told him, at the time they were offering him this gig, that poetry doesn't sell.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Originally posted by James D. Macdonald, 04-20-2006, 09:18 AM.

=========================

HapiSofi said:
Uncle Jim, that was a spectacular takedown, and yet I believe there's a very significant point you missed.

What this fellow is describing is the lengthy process of putting together a list of houses, acquiring editors, what kind of work they're looking for, etc., starting from absolute ground zero. He's working from publicly available general resources.

What this means is that Fletcher's agencies haven't previously had any of that information on hand.

I touched on that briefly when I said:

What agent uses Writer's Market or other public sources as their primary means of finding markets?

and:

Are you trying to say that the "agents" at your agency don't know any editors personally?

This fellow certainly gave us a lot of material. All of it adds up to the fact that Fletcher's agencies are shams and scams.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Originally posted by HapiSofi, 04-20-2006, 04:19 PM.

=====================

James D. Macdonald said:
All of it adds up to the fact that Fletcher's agencies are shams and scams.
Are shams and scams, and have never been anything else, in all the years they've so far been in business.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bartholomew said:
Mr. MacDonald, you've been on the warpath all day. What's prompted this?

"sherryfine" re-re-posted "her" lying spam one too many times in one too many threads.

If "she" does it again "she" is gonna get locked out.

Meanwhile:

--------------------------

Originally posted by xhouseboy, 04-15-2006, 06:56 AM.

====================

I was reading this thread a few days ago, and based on Sherry's claims I decided to put her agency (once more) to the test. This has been done many times before, but who knows, perhaps she was telling the truth (yeah, right!).

So I sent this utter nonsense to her:

Title of Work: Honey Patter and the Goblet of Water

Synopsis: A young boy discovers he possesses magical powers, and he must
fight evil forces to realise his true destiny.

NYP-Work Been Edited: No.

NYP-Bio: Aspiring screenwriter for several years. I have only just purchased
a copy of Final Draft, which I believe wil make my screenplays even better.

Today I got this utter nonsense back. BTW, it landed in my spam folder. My emphasis.

Thank you for your query to the Screenplay Literary Agency. Based on your
query form information we would like to see your work and learn a little bit
more about your goals and your work.

1) Would you please send us an electronic copy
of your screenplay for further evaluation?

Err, No. I don't actually have any screenplays that are a blatant and nonsensical rip- off of the Harry Potter franchise.

Please email your manuscript to
[email protected] .
(We accept Final Draft, Movie Magic, Screenwiter, and pdf, doc, and
rtf)

You accept anything.

2) Would you please answer these 2 questions
in the body of the SAME email? (Just copy and paste
the questions).

A. How long have you been writing, and
what are your goals as a writer?

To avoid scamsters like you.

B. Do you consider your writing 'ready-to-go',
or do you think it needs some polishing.

Again, no to the first question. It was a complete load of bollocks. To the second question; it needs reading, is what it needs, mate. And if you had read it, you too would have realised it was bollocks. Oh but wait, I forgot, it's my money you're really after. Sorry, my mistake, carry on.

SNIP - scam nonsense

Please see the
FAQs below.

We believe we are very different than other agencies.

Yeah, too right.

==========================================================
We believe that we are unique in that we are willing to develop an author
and their talent. We like the metaphor of a business incubator as a
description of how we will take time to bring an author's work to the proper
quality level, even if it takes months to do so. We take pride in the fact
that we answer every email personally within 2-3 days.

And this personal response lands in one's spam folder.

Also, you may understand how a Literary Agency works, but many authors
don't, so please excuse me while I take a minute and let you know how the
process works. As your Literary Agent, our mission is to assist you in
finding a buyer for your work and to coach you along the way in various
options available to you. We don't edit your work, our mission is to sell
for you. As for compensation, get paid on success only, meaning we only get
paid if you get paid. Typically we will receive 10% of what you receive if
we are successful.

I have an agent. She takes 15%. We both do all right out of the arrangement. After all, 85% of something is a whole lot better than 90% of hee-haw, not to mention the 'service' (sorry, fees - see below) charges old Sherry would soon be tagging on. Real agents don't charge clients a penny, Sherry.

We do not charge fees, so our compensation is based on success only. Along
the way, we may suggest that you improve the quality of your work and or how
it is presented. Once your work is deemed 'presentable', then we'll start
shopping it to buyers. We never promise a sale, but we can tell you that we
have a model that works.

You never promise a sale because, quite frankly, you never make any sales. Nor do you intend to.

We look forward to receiving your materials.

In your dreams

Sherry Fine - V.P. Acquisitions

Frequently Asked Questions: (I've again deleted most of this garbage)

Q) Why is there no phone number? I want to talk to someone...
A) Quite frankly, we are deluged with submissions. It is our policy to
provide a contact number later in the process, assuming we would like to
proceed with you.

Real answer: because we're little more than an automated scam.

Q) How do I know you are for real?
A) All we ask is that you judge us on the professionalism of our
interactions together. We will never ask you for money, so that's one way to
judge for yourself. Our commitment to you is that we believe that we should
get paid only if we sell your work. Your commitment to us is that you will
do what it takes to make sure your manuscript is the best it can be and that
it meets or exceeds industry quality standards.

I have judged you on the professionalism of our interactions together. You failed miserably.

Q) What if you find errors or problems with my screenplay? Should I spend
time revising now, or later?
A) We receive very few 'ready-to-go' screenplays. We believe we are unique
in that we are willing to work with our authors along the way. Most that we
receive need some level of polishing before we can submit them to buyers.
Some need very little polishing. Some need a lot. Over the years, we've
learned that it is worth our time and effort to do what it takes to develop
new talent. We've learned that incubating new talent makes good business
sense.

For 'good business sense' read 'good financial sense'. For 'incubating' read 'fleecing'.

Q) Is this an automated email? Is there a real person out there?
A) Yes, and yes, and yes... We personally review each query form to
determine whether the story idea/synopsis sounds interesting. This tells us
which screenplays we would like to receive.

So you really would like to receive my nonsensical 'Honey Patter and the Goblet of Water'? Sorry, my apologies. I've completely misjudged you.

Best regards,
Sherry Fine - VP of Acquisitions
We Grow Talent

You GROW more and more disreputable as each day goes by.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim, da do da do...

William Snottengrout

Hi all

this is my first time posting. I would like to ask the Childrens Literary Agency how they feel about what they do to people who have a dream.

Six years ago I decided to learn to read and write. I started by writing a story and it turned out pritty good. I rewrote this 11 times and then started to send it out. When the Childrens Literary said they were interested I began to shout it from the roof tops. Then a member of my writers circle told me to check out Absolute Writers, Water Cooler. I WAS GUTTED. I never wrote another word after that for about six months. I'm one wanna be author and I sometimes sit and wonder about the other writers that are being duped.

I must thank Victoria as she put me strieght on a few matters and I managed to cancel my contract just in the nick of time.

I decided to self publish in the end as I wanted to get the book out there and see what people thought of it. It's doing ok and I'm now writing again.

Thank you to all who post on here as between you all, you have saved me from no less than seven dodgy scammers.

James Cowey

Author of William Snottengrout.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you, Mr. Cowey. Don't let those jerks determine whether or not you write. Don't give them that much control over your life and your dream.

Congratulations on writing your book, and best of luck with your next.

Gemsong

Registered
Reaction score
Thank You

One day I finished the first revision of my novel. I passed it to an editor friend of mine to proof read. With trepidation (Yes, I know I can't spell. That's what spell check is for) I began the search for an agent. Natually the internet search came up with NYLA right off the bat. I read through it, sent a query and was stunned and thrilled when I got a response with 24 hours.

w00t! I'm on my way!

Then I re-read it. Then read it again. Then read it some more. Then I picked up the writers guide to literary agents.

No references? (One would think an agency would be proud of who they successfully had published.) No memberships in any organization that supports the industry authors, publishing, agents etc. (I thought it was called networking and making contacts.)

So I googled some more. And what do I find? Forums blasting them and their practices. Copies of emails that were identical to the one I had recieved.

I had a sudden 'duh' moment. Writing it work. Being and author is work. Getting published take even more work. I want to be published. But there are no easy ride and no free passes.

So I want to thank all of you here for the information that matched right into my gut instinct. And also thanks to you, you saved not only me, but about three other friends of mine who were about to persue the same path.

Continue to give them hell and we will continue to cheer you on.

ChicaLa

Thanks so much....

I almost believed NYLA. I recieved a reply from them in less than a day stating they wanted my ms, and I was so excited. Then i read in their email a statement along the lines of "Stealing ms. is a bit of an urban myth. It really doesn't happen". Red flags started to go up in my brain. I decided to do a little reseach on them, and stumbled onto this site. *Whew* I'm glad I did. I have enough money problems without having some phony literary agent scam me. :e2bummed:

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
ChicaLa said:
Then i read in their email a statement along the lines of "Stealing ms. is a bit of an urban myth. It really doesn't happen". Red flags started to go up in my brain.
Considering that "stealing ms. is a myth" is a rare germ of truth in their spiel, it's a high irony that it raised a warning flag to you. But, you found them out and that's all that matters.

(Just to be clear, the chance of them (or any other scam agent) stealing your ms is improbable. Selling a ms takes work, which is not in their job description.)

james1611

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamessomers.blogspot.com
Another author saved...

Gee I love this board...I recieved my sherry fine form response asking for my manuscript today.

Before eagerly sending them the requested materials though, I wrote down their info and the name of their parent company "Literary Agency Group" and ran right over here to the watercooler.

Lo and behold here i find them, as the biggest agent scam going.

Thanks for the information Victoria, and others!! I'll pass...NYLA.

Rev. James

PapaDontPreach

stylus...uggh

hi, guys. it turns out that i too was defrauded by the stylus literary agency. i signed a contract with them june 30th 2005, and yes they managed to take $75 from me for their bogus critique. i have not had contact with them for about six months and they are no longer answering my emails. so i want to move on and hopefully find a literary agency that is legit. because stylus' business practices are questionable at best, does the contract i signed with them have any merit? do i have to formally sever the contract, or can i just move on and consider the contract invalid?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
PapaDontPreach said:
hi, guys. it turns out that i too was defrauded by the stylus literary agency. i signed a contract with them june 30th 2005, and yes they managed to take $75 from me for their bogus critique. i have not had contact with them for about six months and they are no longer answering my emails. so i want to move on and hopefully find a literary agency that is legit. because stylus' business practices are questionable at best, does the contract i signed with them have any merit? do i have to formally sever the contract, or can i just move on and consider the contract invalid?
Standard disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but I do watch Law and Order.

I think it depends on the specifics of your contract. What does it say about severing relations? Their business practices do not negate any contract that you've signed. It would be embarassing and infuriating to sell your book on your own and discover you have to pay them part of your royalty.

While you don't have to worry about Bobby actually selling your work, I can easily see him expecting a share of the profits once it's sold.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Repeat after me: You cannot indemnify against fraud.

I would ignore the contract.

If they tried to take you to court, you could expose their deceit to the world (and, more importantly, to a judge). They won't do it.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
LloydBrown said:
Repeat after me: You cannot indemnify against fraud.
Problem is, I'm not certain that it IS a fraud in the legal sense. If they charge you $75 for a critique and they give you one (however amaturish), they haven't committed fraud. If they claim to have sent out X many submissions, and they did, they haven't committed fraud. If you happen to sell your work to one of those publishers they mass-mailed to and they find out about it, you might be required to pay them.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't put anything past Fletcher and his crew. Much simpler to follow the letter of the contract on severing relations.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
LloydBrown said:
Fletcher & cronies don't send out submissions. We've had statements from publishers quoted on this board supporting it. That makes it fraud.
Actually, in post 51 of this thread, Hapisofi reports having two actual submissions to a real publisher.

I can't say if Fletcher ever submitted PapaDontPreach's manuscript, and I can't say that Fletcher actually keeps track of what is submitted to whom. Still, I'd rather stay on the safe side.

An act can be morally reprehensible and still not be fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.