• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

SphinxBooks

NicoleJLeBoeuf

Just asking out of pure curiosity this time, since I just now heard about 'em and can't seem to find any opinions on 'em:

Has anyone had any experience with SphinxBooks?

Apparently they do eBooks. They purport to be a traditional publisher, other than that. They seem well aware of which way the money is supposed to travel.

The red flag for me is on their front page, where they say,
At SphinxBooks, we believe that there are many terrific authors who cannot get published - not because their manuscripts are inadequate, but because they cannot get past the piranha-filled moat that surrounds traditional print publishing companies. Most of the barriers in traditional publishing are capricious and unfair. Epublishing levels the playing field.
It could be that they're referring to their own policy of accepting unagented submissions. But sometimes when I hear this kind of spiel it's code for "we hardly ever write rejection letters."

So I thought it might be worth asking about. Anyone know anything about 'em?

JohannaJ7

The royalties and such are standard for e-books. What stands out is their comment about "traditional" publishing. Sounds to me like this might be run by someone who got tired of rejection-letters and decided to start his/her own online publisher. Not that that would make the publisher bad, but it does increase the chances of bad editing and marketing.

If they're planning on publishing anything they get, they're digging their own grave.

It also loks as if they want the right to print your work as well (using POD), if they so choose. Several ebook publishers have done that with their most popular books.

Edited to add: www.enworld.org/forums/ar...p/t-105197

NicoleJLeBoeuf

"What stands out is their comment about "traditional" publishing."

Yes, that was my thought. Sounds like you're getting some of the same impressions I did.

I don't seem to be able to reach the URL you've included. At least, not right now. It could be the connecton at this cafe, I dunno. Could you summarize what that URL is?

arainsb123

They say they only take electronic rights.

EDIT: Ooops, POD is part of electronic rights!:\

JohannaJ7

Basically, it's a person who says that SphinxBooks is run by his two sisters.

Seems like SB is really trying to attract authors. And they're promising to get back to each author within two months, which can get tricky if a lot of people notice their call for authors! But then, it's e-publishing, I have no idea how many people submit to those.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

Ah, yes, *now* the URL works. :) Thanks for the extra tip! I think, were I shopping the eBook Publishing market, I'd wait to see if they were still around in a year before considering sending them an ms. I've had enough first hand experience of new magazines going under with an article of mine waiting to be published in the issue that was destined never to see the light of day. I don't think I'd want to go through anything like that with a book.

JohannaJ7

I definately agree with that. Wait a year and see if they're still around, if their authors are happy (and paid), and if the books they're selling are any good.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
NicoleJLeBoeuf said:
Just asking out of pure curiosity this time, since I just now heard about 'em and can't seem to find any opinions on 'em:

Has anyone had any experience with SphinxBooks?

I communicated with them a while ago and came away unimpressed, although nothing indicated scam--just an inability to actually do work.

They stopped responding to my e-mails when I mentioned that I had a manuscript already completed.

It seems that they have not actually produced anything. No updates to the site, either: no upcoming titles or anything.

Google did discover one writer who claims that they're picking up a work he's had for free on his website for a while. That doesn't sound promising. Since it's still on the website, either he's not yet actually under contract, or they write poor contracts.

Everything else on google regarding Sphinxbooks is an open call.

I'm still in the wait-and-see mode.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
Looking at their website, I can't figure out where one would actually go about buying one of their ebooks. They don't sell any ebooks on their own site, or have any information about where one would buy one. Searching Google and Amazon turned up nothing. If they're a real ebook publisher, where on earth are they selling their ebooks?

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
MadScientistMatt said:
Looking at their website, I can't figure out where one would actually go about buying one of their ebooks. They don't sell any ebooks on their own site, or have any information about where one would buy one. Searching Google and Amazon turned up nothing. If they're a real ebook publisher, where on earth are they selling their ebooks?

The guy I found said on his website that Sphinxbooks will launch their eBook site later this year. I don't have the link, but his book was the Ruin of Roon, I think.

I can't imagine that 37.5% will turn out to be much.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site launched Feb 2006, published five books, closed Dec 2006.